Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW 5/15/17 SQOTW Scrapbooking Classes??

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by GinnyH GinnyH 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    droopidog
    droopidog
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

What type of classes do you like to take? Do you prefer in person classes, video classes or both? If you like videos, do you prefer them to be live or pre-recorded video? Where do you take classes? LSS, Expos/Conventions or other?

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by droopidog droopidog.
      • This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by droopidog droopidog.

Kim
      My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"

droopidog
      droopidog
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I like taking all kinds of classes as long as the project is something that is “my style” and I will be learning new techniques or using a new product.

I like in person and video classes. It doesn’t matter if the video is “live” or pre-recorded. Pre-recorded is nice because I can stop it, rewind and re-watch it.

I take classes mostly at the LSS that’s about an hour away. I stopped taking classes at the expo, as they just weren’t “my style”. Since they changed the format of classes at CHA, I haven’t taken any there either.

Kim
        My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"

Merrihew
        Merrihew
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

I enjoy taking classes when I get the chance. I really like in person classes, where I can ask questions. Sometimes, it is a challenge to keep up though. They can move along pretty fast! We don’t have unlimited internet, so taking video classes is out, but I would prefer pre-recorded so that I could stop and rewind. I have taken some classes at the Expo, but I made sure it was something I would use and made sure it was teaching some techniques I was interested in learning.

Peggy
          Peggy
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Well, my lss closed a few years ago, and that’s a shame. I did enjoy the classes, not just for the education but for all of the chatter that I know must have driven the instructors nuts, lol. But this is where I started to become comfortable with mixed media; it helped so much to be able to have someone answer my questions as they came up.

Speaking of mixed media – that’s where I use videos. I may not be making that particular project, but I seem to need a demo to understand different techniques.

When it comes to other stuff like cards, minis and all that, I prefer written step-by-step instructions that I can refer to as I go along.

A clean house is the sign of a lazy scrapper.

Heather
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

I like taking classes, but like Kim, they need to be my style. I tried to go out of my comfort zone recently and I should have just flushed the money down the toilet. lol I would love to take a mini class. I just cant think of enough stuff to put in a mini. 🙂

Kimberly
              Kimberly
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

I started with live classes, but the scrapbook store that offered them closed. I now learn all new techniques by video. I have watched live, but prefer taped. As others have indicated, I like to be able to rewind if I miss something.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Kimberly Kimberly.
                Kimberly
                Kimberly
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Wow! Thinking back when I started, that store showed me everything, how to set eyelets, how to emboss with embossing powder. etc. The embossing powder was the first mixed media that came to the store. Back then, I mostly used cardstock, and I did two page layouts. Now, I mostly use cardstock to glue my paper onto, because I used so much mixed media, the paper wants to curl up. Sad. All the scrapbook stores that was near me have closed.

Peggy
                  Peggy
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

Kimberly, it IS sad.
                    Part of the problem in my area is that the stores had to rely on word of mouth for advertising – that’s all they could afford.
                    And let’s face it – the chains have killed off so many of the small stores. They can sell mediums and basics for far less, so that’s where people spend their money. And the online stores just may have been the final straw – why drive to a store when you can click a couple buttons on the computer?

Sooooooo…… No more classes, no more examining all of the new papers and pretties in person…

A clean house is the sign of a lazy scrapper.

msjan1
                    msjan1
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

No LSS around but I used to love going to them. I like pre-recorded videos so I can rewind as well. Loved the class at ArtVenture the best.

GinnyH
                      GinnyH
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

I love going to scrapbook crops and classes but there just are not any round me. My Mum has a very local shop that does classes of all sorts and when I’m down at hers I will go with her to her classes and that’s the only time I get to look at papers etc in person as well. My mum has been attending a mixed media canvas class today at her shop – I was quite jealous! Lol. So I do look at video classes. The live Ustream classes I always end up looking at on repeat because they are at the wrong time of the day (night) for me anyway in the UK. One day I am going to set my alarm for the crack of dawn and join in on a Ustream just so I have attended one!

ginny 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.