Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW 6/10/13 – All about mists and spritz brands

This topic contains 28 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  craftysprinkles 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

There are so many companies making all kinds of misting and spritzing products and I'm curious as to what kinds are your favourites? Do you like a light glimmer/shimmer or more dark/opaque coverage? Are there some brands that spray more evenly than others? I like the coverage of Glimmer Mist by Tattered Angels (it is semi-opaque) but the more subtle Shimmerz ones definitely spray more evenly (they are great for when you only need a hint of color). I will admit that these are mainly the 2 brands I have ever used. Am I missing out on something? What do you like and why?

My current go-to is Perfect Pearl mist in biscotti. I love the PP mists! Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays are fab, and the Color Shine sprays by Heidi Swapp are yummy. I'm not fond of the TA mainly because I have to unclog before I can use a color and I HATE that with a white-hot passion. It's messy and a PITA.

Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

LOl Monica!! I have rarely had my TA's clog and I've heard that in itself is rare. I don't know why that is. SOMETIMES they do but not often.

I prefer the TA mists because they are a hint translucent so you can still see through them.

I like the Smooch spritz when i was definite dark opaque coverage…almost like paint splatters.

I like the Lindy's moon-shadow mists for blending and a hint of color with my brown. I had a hard time understanding when to use them…it took me about a year to get it right. You can't really use them like you would TA or smooch because they are mostly brown…the color is subtle (don't know if this makes sense).

I like the Heidi color swap to change the color of something because it's so vibrant and yet the colors themselves are not vibrant colors. I like the shimmer with them too.

I like the dylusions for INTENSE vibrant colors. They are translucent as well but they have no shimmer. They are just in your face color and sometimes that's what you want.

I like to mix my own paint into a spray when I want flat color (like making fabric flowers). also by doing this i get a flat finish which sometimes is preferred.

Oh my…I didn't even touch on the primary element mixed into a spray! I love sprays!!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Ok, Andie, so what's the secret to non-clogging sprays?? I've had this problem since I bought my first TA sprays several years ago. I occasionally have an LSG spray clog, but I have a small pile of spray nozzles to swap out for new. They don't fit the TA bottles, though, so my only option is to clean the da things out every single time…. which is why I don't use them…. same with the Smooch sprays….

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Monica, I've had the smae problem with the TA sprays

I really like all the above mentioned for different reasons, but I love love love Mister Hueys! They are thick and opaque, really opaque. They are flat and you can layer them up with the sparkle.

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Ok, Andie, so what's the secret to non-clogging sprays?? I've had this problem since I bought my first TA sprays several years ago. I occasionally have an LSG spray clog, but I have a small pile of spray nozzles to swap out for new. They don't fit the TA bottles, though, so my only option is to clean the da things out every single time…. which is why I don't use them…. same with the Smooch sprays….

I honestly don't know. I did have a clog for YEARS and then one day I had one. Now I have the issue intermittently and I did have one that was so bad I had to completely throw the cap away and have to interchange that one…but other than that it's only once in a while. I don't know why. Most people have the same complaint you do.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

I think the clogs are just bound to happen. They need to build sprayers that allow for the mica, or whatever is in them to pump through. It's true though- if you swirl/shake from side to side, you do have less trouble.

I pour my glimmer mist into a Ranger mini mister and just clean the mini mister out. I have given up on trying to unclog the TA ones – all of mine seem clogged. That is another reason why I have headed towards using gelatos (by Faber-Castell) more and more. I create my own paint or mist with gelatos and in any color I want (flat or shimmer). I like the fact that they won't ever dry out on me or leak either (especially when I travel). Best of all they don't stain your hands or clothes! I hate getting my hands stained.

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

I think the clogs are just bound to happen. They need to build sprayers that allow for the mica, or whatever is in them to pump through. It's true though- if you swirl/shake from side to side, you do have less trouble.

This is what I was taught in the TA classes i took to swirl the paint and not to shake, so I haven't had much problem with clogging and I've been using them for years,

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

I luv, luv, luv using sprays and mists…the Heidi Swap mists have bright colors and I love the gold one.
                TA is my go to sprays…I like layering and blending their colors. Also, use smooch a lot and just started using Lyndies and need to play with them more so I can see the different effects.

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

I pour my glimmer mist into a Ranger mini mister and just clean the mini mister out. I have given up on trying to unclog the TA ones – all of mine seem clogged. That is another reason why I have headed towards using gelatos (by Faber-Castell) more and more. I create my own paint or mist with gelatos and in any color I want (flat or shimmer). I like the fact that they won't ever dry out on me or leak either (especially when I travel). Best of all they don't stain your hands or clothes! I hate getting my hands stained.

Vicky, you need to invest in the Craft Scrubbie by Ranger- it's like a pumice stone, but softer and less dense- it will clean your hands VERY WELL. I dip my fingers in my paints and gel medium ALL the time, and with that craft scrubbie and a nail brush, I am as good as new. Seriously. ;)

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

I luv, luv, luv using sprays and mists…the Heidi Swap mists have bright colors and I love the gold one.
                    TA is my go to sprays…I like layering and blending their colors. Also, use smooch a lot and just started using Lyndies and need to play with them more so I can see the different effects.

Exactly! 🙂

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

The makers of the Smooch Spritz recommend cleaning the sprayers with 409 if they are clogged, and it really works. Unfortunately, that's not the problem I have with the Smooch- the stupid nozzle leaks. Same with the Radiant Rain and the Heidi Swapp ones. That makes me crazy.

ALL my Smooch nozzles leak and it really ticks me off cause I love them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.