Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW 8/26/2013: What are Your Best Scrappy Tips?

This topic contains 70 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  craftysprinkles 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

What are Your Best Scrappy Tips?

For me, it helps to have pieces of white cardstock cut into specific sizes that I keep in a folder. I use them when I am planning my layouts with picture sizes and layouts. For example, I have 4X6, 5X7, 12X2, etc, and a bunch of different sizes of circles and rings so I know exactly what size to cut out.

I wrote this little advice article a long time ago for a blog post on Ideas for Scrapbookers about making the most of your chipboard, die cuts and bling…

Sometimes we buy amazing embellies but before adhering onto your project, think about if this item can pull double duty and be used for something else. Here are a few tips to get the most out of your expensive papers and embellies…

Lace-type die cut papers – mist these on their reverse side onto a plain piece of cardstock to be used as a cool background for another layout. You can also do this with plain dollar store doilies too… just slap a few in different sizes onto plain cardstock and mist away – the result is beautiful.

Die-cut shaped papers like large scallop circles and bracket frames – trace these onto cardboard to use as a template for another project.

Fine cut chipboard and cardstock die-cut pieces – you can use these as a mask before permanently adhering to another project. Gesso will easily prime and cover any misting on the chipboard so that you can start over to match it to your new project. You can also trace around things like branches and twigs to have homemade templates using as a stencil for later on.

Chipboard with adhesive backings – keep the backings to use as masks.

Bracket and scalloped shaped mini album chipboard. Use these to repeat an outer edge design on plain cardstock and create your own unique paper die-cut shapes. The hand-cutting is worth every minute for the end result.

Bling transparency backing – keep these to use the indentations as a guide to make your own homemade bling. Simply poke holes where each gem was and then place over your project. Next, mark each hole with a pencil. Using dimensional paint, put paint dots on the pencil marks. I like this better than placing the paint directly on the transparency backing and cutting around… but that is another option.

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

These are some great ideas ladies, not sure if I have any scrappy tips to add!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

I do the same thing as Rae. I have also cut templates of the MS around the page punch sizes to help planning a layout

Love the bling idea, I will have to try that.

I am racking my brain trying to come up with a tip….

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Awesome tips! Hmmm, trying to think if I have any tips.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Does measure twice, cut once count as a tip? Cause I seriously have to remind my self of this every so often when in the middle of a project, especially when I only have one sheet of the paper I'm cutting! I have screwed up more than one project by hastiness!

Or how about this: when organizing, remember that you need to be able to find things easily, so set up your area in a way that works for you. Don't just go with someone else's method, because odds are you'll need something you know you have and not be able to find it because it's not where your brain expects it to be! (yes, this has happened to me mroe than once)

Don't know is this is really a tip, but, along with the 12 X 12 mat that I scrap on, I use a 12 T-square. It makes it so easy to keep things straight on my LO! I can't scrap without it!

I really like the idea of different size templates for planning LO's! I am always trying to figure out what size circles I need to cut!

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Don't know is this is really a tip, but, along with the 12 X 12 mat that I scrap on, I use a 12 T-square. It makes it so easy to keep things straight on my LO! I can't scrap without it!

I think I need to buy one of these. I always think I want that mat with a laser, but I always chicken out because it's so expensive.

Rae, I got my T-square at Hobby Lobby for about $3.00.

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

I checked online- Office Depot has them too. I guess I'll go pick one up before I go get the kids from school and check it out! Thanks, Cheryl!

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

This may be a stupid question, but what's a T-square?

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

A4tsquar.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.