Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff A new allergy?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  craftysprinkles 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

WTF. I am suddenly allergic to peanuts! About a month ago, I was eating pad thai, which has peanuts- and I could not stop coughing for five minutes. It was very strange feeling like there was something in my throat, but there was nothing there. A couple of days later, I was eating trail mix- same thing, but worse. I didn't put two and two together until about a week after that- I was sitting at the hospital waiting for an appt. for Owen, and I decided to buy some Reese's peanut butter cups- OMG- I was coughing like crazy, then I was getting a little dizzy- the nurse at the hospital said I was probably allergic, and gave me a Benadryl, which helped. Has this happened to anyone else?

Wow, Rae! That is weird! I guess I always thought that if you had a peanut allergy, it would show up when you were a child! Sounds like you need to stay away from peanuts!

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

???? Can you develop allergies after so many years of eating said food? That IS weird! Glad the reactions weren't worse than they were, be careful!

I have heard of getting allergies latter on in life, but not peanut, did your throat swell up? You should probably go to an allergist and get tested, I would hate for it to get worse. That is crazy strange. Although would probably be normal in my household – strange thing are the norm. %-6
        Goof Luck Rae!!!

I know people who have developed shellfish allergies later in life, so I guess it can happen with other foods too. And I know peanut allergies can be really bad so you should be super careful!

yep
        My DH developed an allergy to Pine Nuts in his late 20s. Had eaten them all his life then one day ate a sandwich with them on and anaphalyaxed (sp). Lucky for him he was at work (in a hospital) and they got to him quickly.
        No more pine nuts

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

Yes, you CAN develop allergies later in life. You can also outgrow childhood allergies.
          That sucks about peanuts, Rae!!!!
          For heaven's sake, be careful, it sounds like your throat is closing up and that's not good.

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Yes!! Holy smokes! But in my case it was hazelnuts! All of a sudden, too. So bizarre. ..

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

See- this is sooooo weird to me. I can't stand the thought of not eating Reese's!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Definitely you need to be careful, you may have to start carrying one of those epi-pens or something.

Rae be super careful. My dr told me allergies that develop as an adult can be worse then allergies ya get when your a kid. I grew up with cats in a house and had one that slept with me every night. Fast forward 22 years and my cat jumps on my lap…. First episode was hives. Thought he rolled in something. Next episode was having blisters on my eye balls. Who knew. It gets worse with every episode. When I went in my dr says when you develop an allergy as an adult the reaction tends to triple so bla bla long story short be super careful. I'd get an epi pen. That's an allergy that carries I. Tons of things.

In*

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

OMG RAe really?!

LOL…why do I have a visual image of you eating Reese's with an epi pen poised to strike?

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

LOL Andie!

OMG RAe really?!

LOL…why do I have a visual image of you eating Reese's with an epi pen poised to strike?

That would be me too – LOVE those peanut butter cups! Glad you're OK Rae but BE CAREFUL, each reaction gets worse until fatal. I am allergic to most medicine which really SUCKS.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.