Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff A new opportunity…maybe????

This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GlitterGirl 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

I was contacted yesterday by a lady at the Carlsbad State School to be a consultant for teachers who work with the autistic clients. After talking with her, I realized that they know nothing about autism. Most of the clients are from 18 to about 30 and have evidentially had no special training. She had never heard of an IEP or behavior plan or any of the normal things that are important with a special needs student. I might need to pick a few brains from the experts here to guide me where I can find some good resources. I've taught autistic children, but I had others to be on the team. I am horrified at the lack of knowledge of the people planning the curriculum for these people. Maybe I can help???

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

I don't know. Their lack of knowledge is a red flag to me. Think about if you want to be a part of an organization that doesn't really know what they are doing?? What expectations will they have of you if they themselves know little about how to service these member of society? It sounds like a risk. They should know about IEPs and the like. There are IDEA laws that need to be followed, and if they don't know that, how effective can they be?
      BUT, that's just me. I am very skeptical of stuff like this, but I have a history of encountering people who have absolutely no idea what they are doing, and are considered expects in their field. Don't let my biases influence you, just check it out further. 🙂

Thanks, Rae….I'm going to certainly investigate before I leap into something. I just can't imagine that everyone is clueless in a State run school. Carlsbad is a treatment center for the severly retarded. You know as well as I do that most of these autistic clients have not received the proper education and interventions that are needed….and they are adults. These clients have no other home and no guardians but the State. It's truly sad. I'll see what's up….and see what's involved and how much knowledge they have about how to help these special clients.

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

You know, my first post was not very understanding, and I'm sorry for that- even if they are not as knowledgeable as they should be, if you think that you would like to work there are make a difference in these peoples' lives, I think you should seriously consider it. I guess my personal experiences can get in the way of being open to new opportunities, even for other people!
        I can see some positive aspects after further thinking- at least they are still trying to educate instead of medicate and let the patients deteriorate. Maybe they are abandoning IEPs and other bureaucracy to just get some exposure to leaing.

Snagg1
          Send PM

I agree with Rae. The fact that they don't know what an IEP is and that it is a state run school is alarming. Can you Google on the school or the people running it and see what you can find out? How about calling the state directly to get info?

Does the fact that they are teaching adult students negate the need for an IEP? Does that allow for special exception? I know nothing about Texas state law. I have a library on New York State Education Law from being on the board, but I know that things can vary greatly from state to state.

I still keep coming back to them not knowing about IEPs. How do they know that students are getting the correct services? How do they know if these services are working? What happens if the student has a teacher change; will that teacher just make their own assessment and start over? While I would agree that an IEP isn't the end all-beat all, if nothing else it provides a history for that student. Without a process similar to this it would seem that they are wasting time and resources, but more importantly, the long term damage that may be occurring for the student that isn't getting what they need.

Do your own due diligence and research the hell out of that place.

Snagg1
            Send PM

You know, my first post was not very understanding, and I'm sorry for that- even if they are not as knowledgeable as they should be, if you think that you would like to work there are make a difference in these peoples' lives, I think you should seriously consider it. I guess my personal experiences can get in the way of being open to new opportunities, even for other people!
            I can see some positive aspects after further thinking- at least they are still trying to educate instead of medicate and let the patients deteriorate. Maybe they are abandoning IEPs and other bureaucracy to just get some exposure to leaing.

I agree to some degree with this. However, are you really able to help a student if there isn't a clear and consistent process in place to accomplish this. If there isn't, because at this point we are assuming they don't, will you end up more frustrated and spend more time fighting city hall to get these things? Maybe that is why this has come up in your life? Maybe you can help tighten the process?

IEPs are not the answer, but they do serve a purpose. Maybe they have something similar because the concept behind an IEP is good. I would agree that IEPs gives the facility red tape to hide behind if it suits them, however, a history of the child's progress and services utilized is vital in moving forward and knowing where to go next. An IEP in the right hands is a good thing.

Oooooh, you know what? It just hit me. The Race To The Top that Obama put into place has requirements for Special Education. I wonder if this facility is trying to get compliant with these requirements in order to continue to receive some of the IDEA monies and grants?

Snagg1
              Send PM

Sounds like they need you. I also have a child with special needs and although I have few complaints about my child's IEP but I sometimes wonder if everyone who works with her actually reads it. You may want to suggest that the group visit a school board that has been successful and has all the tools in place to help children/adults with disabilities. My daughter has all her services at school then attends a family support program afterschool for respite for the family. I would also be conceed but hopefully you can lead them in the right direction.

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

It sounds as if these people have simply been warehoused for years. I'm just totally appalled over this, myself. I had the same thought as Lisa, that they are simply trying to continue to receive Federal funding.
                Debbie, well, you asked for opinions. Mine is simply to suggest that you make absolutely certain that you are not going to be window dressing, but will be part of a program that will make a difference in the lives of the people that you'll be serving. Otherwise, the frustration alone will eat you up.

Yes….I did ask for input. As I have thought about the task, it just seems daunting at best. The lady that I spoke to doesn't have a degree of any kind. She is someone straight off the street that was hired to assist with the clients. Evidentially, she has been directed to sit in on the planning with the speech therapists and counselors. Surely, they know about IEPs! I probably know enough to be dangerous….KWIM? It just seems to me that these clients have been left behind in the educational realm. I got the feeling that teaching life skills was going to be the main push in their education. I just don't know if I want to get into all the goings on…And you are correct, Lisa….The State is coming in to audit the program for funding. My knowledge is based on elementary age children…not adults. I think I'd just better stay with what I know.
                Thanks Sisters for being my sounding board…..

Debbie they need you. Just your knowledge of IEPs and that process will help them. I am sure there are lots of knowledge folks in this field and you could pick their brains and then assist them with getting started or passing on connections. Debbie your teaching skills are natural and you apply those with children and adults — have seen it in your posts — and you will be wonderful.

Cherished — I think you are right. I think many teachers do not read the IEps and do not really know what they should be doing. The IEP team members make a big difference. I remember the first day of school in 6th graded when I had a student mainstreamed who had been in special day class. WHen I came in the room he was sitting upside down in his chair and had his head on the floor. He had been in SDC his whole school experience and that teacher didn't seem to help a lot. He ended up having a pretty go year and his mom still talks about the flags they had to make to go with the olypics and reports they had to do. She said he made flags for years. Teachers are not taught very much about working with special needs students. Now that all us baby boomers are retiring it conces me greatly because it seems that the new young teachers are taught to read the teachers manual and that tells them what to say. I had to retire because I couldn't teach that way nor do I think it is the best way to help and reach children. It took me getting close to the district psychiatrist to lea what should be happening in an IEP and how to help it be successful and help the student. I honestly believe if I had a special needs child right now I would be at war with the teacher, administrator and probably the school board. Like a lot of you this mama bear gets nuts when children are not helped (sometimes harmed) and have gotten a teacher fired because of his behavior with my daughter. Long story and my posts are long enough. It is amazing to me how few parents know or understad what is going on in the classroom. Teachers have to be prepared to teach the student andoten the family.

It is so gratifying to see such vocal parents and advocates in this group. We need more because increased class size and reduced funds puts so much pressure on the teacher. Teachers want to help and end up spending hours and hours testing not teaching.

Guess I will get off my bandwagon.

I have a very different take on this. One correspondence does define a whole educational system. I offer a different possibility.

The person who contacted you, Debbie, may not be the person that actually runs the program and interacts with the children. May only be an admin type person. It is completely possible that the person who contacted you was an HR person who knows nothing of the details – clueless.

I believe they need your valuable input into the system. I also believe you have nothing to lose from this potential opportunity. If it frustrates you, then Adios! But I also think there are details that are missing and you would be doing yourself a favor exploring all the angles.

Thanks everyone for your input. However, since some changes in the law goveing subbing and tutoring this year, I won't even have to consider this job. I just don't think that I have the expertise that is required to help with this matter. I had hight hopes that I might be able to make a difference, but in retrospect, I don't think it possible. I'm just going to stick in my little coer of the world and make a difference where I know that I'm needed….and I know what to do to make a difference.
                Thanks again….someone will be there for them. It's just not me right now.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.