Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Recipes A really good chili recipe

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Snagg1 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

OMG! I just made this today, and it's WONDERFUL! Thought I would share!

Ingredients
      3 medium ancho chiles
      1 quart vegetable or chicken stock-in-a-box
      1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
      8 portabella caps, wiped clean, gills scraped, chopped
      4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
      1 large onion, chopped
      1 green or red chile, thinly sliced
      Salt and freshly ground black pepper
      A scant palmful smoked paprika
      A scant palmful cumin
      A scant palmful coriander
      Pinch ground cinnamon
      2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
      1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced or crushed tomatoes
      1 ripe avocado
      1 cup sour cream
      Juice of 1 lime
      A handful fresh cilantro or fresh parsley
      Toasted pepitas or sunflower seeds for gaish, optional
      Tortilla chips, 2 (1-ounce) bags or couple handfuls, optional
      Directions
      Stem and seed the ancho chiles and place in a pot with stock, bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat and keep warm.

Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat with 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 4 tus of the pan. Add the mushrooms to the hot oil and brown 12 to 15 minutes, then add the garlic, onions, chile, salt and black pepper and soften 5 to 6 minutes more, season with a spice mixture of paprika, cumin, coriander, and cinnamon.

Puree the reconstituted chiles and stock in a food processor. Add the chile stock mixture, beans, and tomatoes to the chili, cook 15 minutes until thickened, then tu off the heat, cool, cover and chill for make-ahead meal.

To reheat: Cover the chili and place over medium to medium-high heat, stirring frequently until the chili bubbles, then uncover and simmer until ready to serve.

Combine the avocado, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, and salt in food processor and process into a smooth avocado-sour cream sauce for stirring into the chili. Serve the chili in shallow bowls and gaish with the avocado sauce, pepitas, if using, and a few tortilla chips, if using.

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

I just clicked on this link it shut down my computer. Just so you know.

the link worked for me. Although I was wondering what kind of idiot I was to click on it after Robin said it shut her computer down. Kinda like when someone says, Yuck! This stinks. Smell it! and you do!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

LMAO hehe im not gonna click now hehehe but hey Jan….ewwww smell this will ya?

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Oh no! It's just to the Food Network! Okay, I will take it down!

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Okay, the link works for me, but I got rid of it anyway, and copied the recipe instead! )Ingredients
              3 medium ancho chiles
              1 quart vegetable or chicken stock-in-a-box
              1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
              8 portabella caps, wiped clean, gills scraped, chopped
              4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
              1 large onion, chopped
              1 green or red chile, thinly sliced
              Salt and freshly ground black pepper
              A scant palmful smoked paprika
              A scant palmful cumin
              A scant palmful coriander
              Pinch ground cinnamon
              2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
              1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted diced or crushed tomatoes
              1 ripe avocado
              1 cup sour cream
              Juice of 1 lime
              A handful fresh cilantro or fresh parsley
              Toasted pepitas or sunflower seeds for gaish, optional
              Tortilla chips, 2 (1-ounce) bags or couple handfuls, optional
              Directions
              Stem and seed the ancho chiles and place in a pot with stock, bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat and keep warm.

Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat with 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 4 tus of the pan. Add the mushrooms to the hot oil and brown 12 to 15 minutes, then add the garlic, onions, chile, salt and black pepper and soften 5 to 6 minutes more, season with a spice mixture of paprika, cumin, coriander, and cinnamon.

Puree the reconstituted chiles and stock in a food processor. Add the chile stock mixture, beans, and tomatoes to the chili, cook 15 minutes until thickened, then tu off the heat, cool, cover and chill for make-ahead meal.

To reheat: Cover the chili and place over medium to medium-high heat, stirring frequently until the chili bubbles, then uncover and simmer until ready to serve.

Combine the avocado, sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, and salt in food processor and process into a smooth avocado-sour cream sauce for stirring into the chili. Serve the chili in shallow bowls and gaish with the avocado sauce, pepitas, if using, and a few tortilla chips, if using. (Sorry, Robin!)

Snagg1
                Send PM

I just made some chili! I use Honey Brown beer and Newman's Peach Salsa in mine. Throw in some green peppers and lots of hot sauce and cumin…..yum!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.