Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff Advice needed

This topic contains 28 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Snagg1
      Send PM

My DD is having trouble leaing her multiplication tables. We are drilling her left and right. she had flash cards and brings home a new number to lea nearly every day. There are only a few numbers that she is really struggling with and a few of them she just has a mental block with.

They are doing timed tests in school and she gets anxiety over them and panics which makes her crash and bu on the test.

I found a few math games online but at this point she is bued out from all of it. Every chance I get I throw out a problem to her and yesterday she just sat down and cried. 🙁

Any suggestions for me? Leaing the problems is one thing but the timed test is another. Ugh~ sniff sniff

Oh Lisa this brings back such memories! I feel your pain girl. My daughter Bri struggled with math for many years. And still does. But it really isn't struggling because she is bright, it's the pace that set for the child to lea. Not everyone picks up on things, especially math and especially math with girls at the same pace. My schools all have programs for extra help in math even HS where she is now and in Geometry With the extra help she did just fine because she had that extra time and one on one attention to help her.
      Times tables can only be memorized there is no trick to it. If your school offers that I would recommend it or talking to her teacher. Of course she wants to cry. I would too. I think I did when I had to lea them.

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

So sorry!!! Maybe if she was less stressed….. My son goes to a site called 'First in Math'…. they do math problems in game form…. maybe something like that would help….. 🙂

Snagg1
          Send PM

I did find a few games for her. She is very bright, but like me, she seems to freeze when it comes to tests. she is stil in the elementary school (3rd grade) and they don't have after school programs until next year.

I feel so bad for her. I'm hoping that she will bu through being overwhelmed and have the light bulb go on. It is a lot to swallow at once.

I did find a few games for her. She is very bright, but like me, she seems to freeze when it comes to tests. she is still in the elementary school (3rd grade) and they don't have after school programs until next year.

I feel so bad for her. I'm hoping that she will bu through being overwhelmed and have the light bulb go on. It is a lot to swallow at once.

The programs my daughter was in were during the school day. They have extra help classes for Math and Reading at the Elementary level then extra help Math programs thru MS and HS. My daughter did the timed tests too. It's a lot of pressure for a kid. Do they not have that in your school district?

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Lisa, it does seem like she's overwhelmed. I always found it difficult to memorize (and still have to stop and think with a lot of the multi numbers). All I can suggest is that you offer her a promise of a lot of math-free time during the day in exchange for a commitment of 15 – 30 minutes (however much is appropriate) dedicated to math. And then keep your promise. That may calm her down a bit.
            Also, what worked best for me was writing it down over and over because I have a pretty good visual memory.
            HTH

Lisa, so sorry your dd is going through a hard time in school right now!

I feel so sorry for her, Lisa!
            Those few numbers she's having difficult leaing – focus on them. Use as many senses as possible (read them out aloud, watch them, write them…) and then perhaps she can see those numbers that are connected to each other. Like 56 is 7 times 8.

Snagg1
              Send PM

Yes, we do have programs where they can get help. I'm wondering if she just needs time to let all of this sink in, or is she really struggling? They have really been force fed these times tables this week and it is a lot for anyone to lea.

I don't want to second guess the teaching strategy but I can't help to. Is it part of the plan to throw these at them via rapid fire and then sort out the caage?

Peggy I like your idea. I think I will give that a try this weekend.

Camilla, I have been trying to provide her different strategies. It's been interesting to watch her. I'm trying to figure out how she leas, and it doesn't seem like memorizing is her thing. She really wants to know the mechanics, why it works that way, and then the answer. I'm also asking her things like, are you seeing the numbers in your head, or are you hearing them being said. If I can figure out if her main mode of leaing is visual or audio then maybe I can find a way to help her that is more her speed KWIM?

Ugh~ I strugled in math too. Go figure, now I work with high net worth investors and the stock market.

Meg my middle dd dies first in math too. She loves it!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

If she's having test anxiety, there are test taking strategies she might lea to help during the tests themselves. I'd try talking to the school about some of those to help her. Best of luck – will send up some prayers for her.

Snagg1
                  Send PM

If she's having test anxiety, there are test taking strategies she might lea to help during the tests themselves. I'd try talking to the school about some of those to help her. Best of luck – will send up some prayers for her.

I decided to send her teacher an email after all. I agree, test taking is its own skill. In that case which comes first, the test or the math fact? LOL They are both troubling her and need to be addressed. I'm going to wait and see what her teacher says.

Thanks so much everyone! I love this place XO

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

Aw, poor Sydney. I remember really struggling with timed math tests in first grade. I knew the answers right away, but I guess I wasn't that coordinated to write it down that quickly. I had to stay after school with the teacher every day for two weeks and we did flash cards. That wasn't really helpful either- again I knew the answer, but getting it out of my mouth took more time than it should have. My mom gave me the tests at home everyday too, so I could get the extra practice, but I was always slow. So, I know exactly how she feels.
                    I think that Peggy gave really good advice, and definitely start a dialog with the teacher. She is sure to have some input as to what you can do. Hugs to both of you!

ugh! Lisa, I had the same problem. My family moved when I was in third grade and I ended up missing a month of school. I missed the multiplication tables and got thrown right into thosed timed tests. My parents bought me Mr. Professor which looked like a little calculator but it gave you simple math problems to solve. What really helped me was taking practice timed tests at home where I was not so stressed. I got to practice without the repercussions, kwim? My parents just made up sheets of multiplication tables and timed me. I got a lot of positive praise at home and never looked back. Ended up on the math team in HS, won some state competitions and was class valedictorian. You are on the right track by being proactive. Good luck!

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

Yes, we do have programs where they can get help. I'm wondering if she just needs time to let all of this sink in, or is she really struggling? They have really been force fed these times tables this week and it is a lot for anyone to lea.

I don't want to second guess the teaching strategy but I can't help to. Is it part of the plan to throw these at them via rapid fire and then sort out the caage?

Peggy I like your idea. I think I will give that a try this weekend.

Camilla, I have been trying to provide her different strategies. It's been interesting to watch her. I'm trying to figure out how she leas, and it doesn't seem like memorizing is her thing. She really wants to know the mechanics, why it works that way, and then the answer. I'm also asking her things like, are you seeing the numbers in your head, or are you hearing them being said. If I can figure out if her main mode of leaing is visual or audio then maybe I can find a way to help her that is more her speed KWIM?

Ugh~ I strugled in math too. Go figure, now I work with high net worth investors and the stock market.

Yes, I hated arithmetic because of the memorizing, started liking math with a great algebra teacher who focused on the concept of logic and problem solving, in other words the mechanics of it all. It's rough on her now, but I'll bet she'll be a whiz when it comes to applying her knowledge. Maybe if she understands that she has to get through this in order to get to the good stuff??
                      And I'm a bookkeeper, btw, all numbers and I love it!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.