Home Forums Scrap Chat Scrappy Spaces ADVICE PLEASE!

This topic contains 11 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

We are building a couple of counters for my scrappy space and for some silly reason I am having the hardest time settling on the color for the countertops. We've built them ourselves so they will be painted. My whole space is a very vintage/shabby chic theme. The counter base will be covered in beadboard/tongue and groove and painted antique white. I have an antique hoosier-style kitchen cabinet I will be using as a desk that is painted the same color and highly distressed with a white enamel pull out table top. I feel like the sensible choice for the other counters is white but for some reason it seems so unimaginative. I know it will be better for light than a dark color. I considered painting it, laying out some vintage lace, then topping it with glass. I've also thought of stamping/stenciling, etc. What do you think? I'm using old fashioned penny jars for my flowers so the space is really going to have the feel of an old general store (I hope). I thought about staining the counters but they are plywood so I'd have to get tricky disguising those weird little leaf shape marks from the milling process. ARG. I would LOVE some input. Thanks ladies!

Snagg1
        Send PM

Love the idea of lace under glass. I would also want to take some ATCs and lovely little bits of art from scrappy friends and sprinkle them around under the glass too.

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

I like the stamping stenciling idea. I think the lace under glass would look great but I don't like to work on glass, hate it, that's just me though, it would look GREAT!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Love the idea of lace under glass. I would also want to take some ATCs and lovely little bits of art from scrappy friends and sprinkle them around under the glass too.

Ohhhh, that would be pretty!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

All I know is that I can hardly wait to see pictures! All of your ideas sound amazing and I'm sure it will tu out gorgeous.

[quote]

Ohhhh, that would be pretty!!
              [/quote]

This does sound pretty…but is it practical? I sometimes need to press down hard on certain projects, and then if you're using moisture that may pose a problem. I understand your dilemma though…you want pretty but also functional. If you do decide to use paint, you may want to consider marine paint. It deters the moisture from seeping into the wood. But whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be beautiful because you produce such beautiful art. Can't wait to see the picture. And aren't you fortunate to have a husband to assist you.

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

That sounds lovely. I work on glass and love it!!

i work on metal – a huge steel table top. works awesome, can't wreck it, and it's magnetic ;D

sorry i'm of no help, Jen!

Well it kinda sounds like you are not going to be working on this surface…I like the under the glass artsy items!

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Thanks everyone! I ended up falling in love with this color Krylon makes called Catalina Mist so I painted them with that and several coats of varathane. I'm really happy with how they tued out! I will post a sneak of them later. 🙂

Can't wait to see your post Jennifer. I've been thinking about your project and was wondering how you were coming along. Yep, that Verathane should protect your work space.

I even like the name of the paint—-Catalina Mist….Sounds beautiful!

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

Can't wait to see the pics!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.