Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Excellent Books All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

I just read this while I was away last weekend. It is a wonderful book.

It's about a blind girl from France and a young boy from Germany and how their paths end up crossing during the war. It's a whole different twist on the war than what I've read before. You lea about the suffering of the participants on both sides of the war and it is really gripping story as the Nazis come ever closer to stealing one of the treasures from the Paris museum where the young girl's father is a locksmith.

The separate story of how the young boy ends up in Hitler's National Political Educational School and what it ends up doing to his soul, is equally mesmerizing.

As always, when I read the stories about this war, I am amazed at the bravery and defiance ordinary people showed. A side story to this book, is the Resistance in France and the role that is played by Mme. Manec and others. It is inspiring to read about people like this.

That sounds like an interesting read.

Snagg1
        Send PM

Isn't that so true Linda! The spirit of people is amazing. Two really good books in that vein that I so enjoyed –

Hotel On The Coer of Bitter And Sweet by Jaimie Ford

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Both of these are just so moving. I love book club for this reason. We find such great books, some we'd normally never read. That doesn't mean there aren't some stinkers, but for the most part it's great!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Oh my gosh… I read Sarah's Key as well, and it was truly heartbreaking! Very, very good book though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.