Home Forums Tutorials, Tips, Tricks and Techniques Anatomy of a Layout Anatomy of a Layout: Belle Fleur with Rae

This topic contains 19 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Peggy Peggy 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    RAE
    RAE
    Swirly Moderator
      Send PM

This kit is so gorgeous! I adore the colors, and it inspired me to do something I don’t normally do a lot of- use my many inks! I tend to stick to browns, grey, and blacks for distressing, but I really wanted to highlight the colors in this kit, not necessarily tone them down! So, for this tutorial, I thought I would share how you can use different colors of inks, And, as always, the Anatomy tutorial is made using only papers and embellishments from the main kit. I did you some tools, inks, paints, and STAMPS (I used stamps! More than one!) from my stash. You don’t need the exact tools and media that I used. You probably have similar in your craft room!

So, here’s the layout:

I started with this sheet from Blue Fern Studios. I wanted to make blue a featured color because I’m using the flowers in the main kit and they are blue. I’m tailoring the papers to work with the flowers and butterfly.

After using the distresser, I used the Tumbled Glass distress ink first, being sure to ink deep into the edges of the page. Once I was happy with that, I used Frayed Burlap on the edges, being sure to leave some of the blue ink exposed, while blending.

I distressed the edges again in parts I felt needed it, then used some chalk edgers, Turquoise Stone, and Pastel Brown to the very edge. The impact is slight, but I think it gives it a well-rounded look.

I repeated this same inking process on the layers you see below.

The bluish paper is actually packaging from the Victorian fan chipboard that I cut into a 4.25 square. It will be my photo mat for a 4X4 picture.

I liked the way this inking process turned out, so I decided to use it for all of my paper layers, but I really wanted to showcase the different colors, so I used green for my green layer, which is 7.5X7.5 inches… (I used Distress Peeled Paint and Rock Moss chalk)

And pinks for my pinkish papers, using Distress Tattered Rose and Old Rose chalk

The square is 5X5 and I used a Martha Stewart punch around the page. The rectangle is 12X2.5 inches.

Now that all of my paper layers are inked and distressed, it’s time to check out my design to make sure this is what I want.

Yep- this is exactly the look I was going for. It needs some more elements. I added a stamp at the top. When I used stamps and dies also, I just place them directly on my page so I can get a sense of the measurements and sizing. And, of course I am going to use this fan chipboard!

It’s time to start gluing down my layers.

I used this stamp, which is from the Blue Fern Forever stamp collection. I used Distress Vintage Photo.

Next, is the green square, but it needs to be raised. You can use pop dots or squares, but cardboard is cheaper and it’s just BETTER!

It gives my layout some dimension.

Now for that chipboard!It needs some treatment.

First, it needs a white wash.

Once dry, I used brown archival ink. I plan to do more to this, and if I use distress or chalk ink, my stamped image is going to smudge.

I want to give it a blue wash with this Shimmerz turquoise paint. Any sheer paint will do.

And some random silvery gelato smudging over the paint gives it a nice complete look.

I want to add some more stamping before I glue down the rest of my layers so they are peeking out. This is an older Kaisercraft stamp, but I think any swirly stamp would work too.

Again, it’s time to put it all together before gluing down.

I added a brad to the fan.

Now for flowers and other embellishments:

I tore the bottom layer of the butterfly off so it would be smaller, and took apart the flower spray to work with the design I have in mind. I added a wood purse to the end of the flower cluster at the bottom.

Also, I used a Spellbinders leafy die that I cut from one of dark green and light green notecards. I love that Prima is coloring the back of these notecards now! I stuck those leafy swirls into my flower arrangements.

For added dimension and a polished look, I softened up the flowers with gesso, then highlighted them with Silks paints to get this polished look:

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial! If you have any questions, let me know. 🙂

lindapekrul
      lindapekrul
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Love this SO much! I’m really glad you showed us how to use stamps on our layouts. I really need to get braver and do that as well, because I have so many pretty stamps. I always rush through the inking and distressing, and I can see that I need to STOP that! The attention and care you gave to all your edges and layers really shows! Thanks for the tutorial Rae!

Paulien
        Paulien
        Swirly Moderator
          Send PM

Gosh… I LOVE this page of you and I love that you took us by the hand and showed your step by step process. Awesome tutorial.

luv46kdz
          luv46kdz
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Excellent Rae! So beautiful ??❤️?

Debbie
            Debbie
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Love your tutorial, The LO is beautiful.

Peggy
              Peggy
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

Rae, your finished layout is gorgeous!!!
                And your tutorial – well, my mojo just woke up, totally ready to get to work.

Thanks for the reminder about the STAMPS, and even more thanks for the tips on distressing. <3

A clean house is the sign of a lazy scrapper.

Merrihew
                Merrihew
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Gorgeous LO, Rae! Thanks so much for the tutorial! I love all the inking and stamping you did!

Bonnie S
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

Beautiful LO! TFS 🙂

RAE
                    RAE
                    Swirly Moderator
                      Send PM

Thanks, ladies! Kind of different for me, but I had fun busting out my inks and stamps!

Angelica
                      Angelica
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

Awesome tut, Rae!! I really need to use my stamps also!

RAE
                        RAE
                        Swirly Moderator
                          Send PM

Hmm. I got reported for spam at Imgur, where I get my urls for my pictures. They have deleted all of my pics. I got TROLLED! Some jerk left a bunch of RUDE and DISGUSTING comments on my pictures and then reported ME! And, I get deleted!? WTF!

So, how weird is this- yesterday I redid this tutorial on SnapGuide just to check out this new format for tutorials. Here’s the link to that: https://snapguide.com/guides/make-a-scrapbook-page-with-the-swirlydoos-july-kit/

msjan1
                          msjan1
                          Swirly Scrapper
                            Send PM

what the …? I’m sorry, Rae.

luv46kdz
                            luv46kdz
                            Swirly Scrapper
                              Send PM

WTF for sure ? I’m sorry all your pics are gone. Some real weirdos out there.

Paulien
                              Paulien
                              Swirly Moderator
                                Send PM

What? Are they crazy?? I’m sorry Rae!!!

Merrihew
                                Merrihew
                                Swirly Scrapper
                                  Send PM

Sorry about the pics, Rae! I can’t figure out why some people just enjoy making things miserable for other people!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.