Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff Another answered prayer…

This topic contains 10 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  lisajoy 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

We've been having a time potty training my GD. She just tued 3. Finally, I took her to the doctor to see if there was a medical problem? He did find a slight infection when they took a urine sample. This was last Thursday. He sent the sample off for further examination. He said that in 30% of 3 year olds that have protein or puss in the urine they have a congenital urinary tract defect. I looked on the postitve side and said that 70% didn't! We had to wait until Monday for the results.
    Happy to report that she is fine….just stubbo when it comes to stopping her play and running for the potty. whew!!!!

Snagg1
      Send PM

GOod news!

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Well, I hope she doesn't have that! Audra was almost 3 1/2 before she was 100% potty trained. They have to be ready, regardless of what the developmental experts say. I'm sure you know most of these things, but here are some tips that helped me:
        1. Never ASK her if she has to go- TELL her.
        2. Tell her to go often. We had luck using a timer.
        3. Don't get mad when she has an accident. It doesn't help solve the problem, and kids don't lea to use the potty out of fear; it just doesn't work that way because they are practicing paying attention to the signs from their body, and it isn't easy.
        4. Set up an incentive program. We used temporary tattoos, and let her pick out some fancy big girl soap to wash her hands she could only use AFTER she went potty.

Hope that helps!

bribes worked for me – my ds got a hot wheels car everytime he had done something he hadn't done before, first time making it to the potty, first poop, first everything. worked amazing.

but every kid is different, and i think i had it really good in that dept.

Snagg1
          Send PM

That's great news Debbie!! Sydney trained early, but some of the things that helped us:

1) Bought her a little training potty and let her carry it around with her. She pretended to sit on it and go and then one day she did.
          2) We had a HUGE piece of paper on the fridge and she got to put a sticker on it every time she went. Also, every time I went to the bathroom I got a little prize too. She didn't like being the only one not getting a sticker, so a little competition helped. 🙂
          3) When she had a whole day of dry panties we went to the store and let her pick out big girl panties and a new purse.
          4) Going #2 was a different story. We used the same approach and didn't make a big deal out of it. When she finally went we pulled out all of her little musical instruments and had a parade around the house and made a ton of noise!

Awww, thanks Sisters for all your advice. It's been about 27 years since I did the potty training bit….I love your ideas. It just like when I look at your beautiful LO's and I think to myself….Gee….I coulda thought of that! 🙂

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

My first was potty trained in a week…. soon as he realized I was serious, he gave in…..

The second was a TERROR!!!! NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING worked as incentives….. we tried everything we could think of….. finally I just had to take away his pullups and let him pee on himself a few times……
            Even now, his 'motivators' change on a weekly, sometimes daily basis….. he definately keeps us on our toes….. 🙂

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

my DSD in Texas is having an awful time with the twin boys.They are 4. One wants to but the other one could care less

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Glad you brought is up Debbie and your DGD is okay.

We bought Delilah a potty because she was showing signs she was ready. She'll be 3 in Nov.

For 1 full day she used the potty. No accidents!! It was amazing!!

The next moing comes and she's like, I don't want to use the potty!!

What the heck???? So, there the potty sits until she's ready.

Kids, I tell ya!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

i love love love the parade idea!! so fun ;D

Kassy was near impossible to train!! The boys were EASY!!

We used M&Ms as incentive for her, but she was prob 3 1/2 before she was all trained.

Snagg1
                  Send PM

i love love love the parade idea!! so fun ;D

Ya know what's funny about that? Syd was about 2 1/2 when all this was going on and she still remembers the parade! LOL To this day when something really good happens she pretends to bang cymbols together and hoots and hollers! LMAO!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.