Home Forums Scrap Chat Ask the Designers Any one have a silhouette?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  NanciOgilvie 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

I want to cut out the leave that Lisa post every month to go with our kits on my silhouette. Does/has anyone done this or know how to do this with the silhouette? I know I have to use the print and cut feature, just not sure how.

Thanks

I have a Silhouette. I haven't tried to print and cut anything that isn't already a download from the Sil site. Did you go to the site and look at the tutorials or the Silhouette blog? They tell you how to do this. You can also check out the Silhouette Yahoo group.

They just upgraded the software for the Silhouette. You can down load it free off the site. It's fabulous. It works with a MAC now! They also fixed all the things that were not perfect about the old software. Good luck!

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

No I don't!! I wish!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

I don't have a Silhouette, so I don't know for sure, but I have a Cricut and SCAL, so this might help you. A while back, Diana made an SVG file of the vine. I tried to look for it, so I could post it here, but I can't find it. Maybe someone else has it? If you can use SVG files with your machine, this would work. I'll see if I can find it for you.

http://www.box.net/shared/ce3lohb9qz – here is the link to the SVG I made. And this is what it looks like

lisasleafyswirl.jpg

Although it shows the top leaf as blacked out it doesn't cut that way. And you need to be really careful when cutting because it's fragile. Some people haven't been able to get it to cut because it tears but I've cut it a few times with no problems.

Hope that helps!

Silhouette uses gsd files

Silhouette uses gsd files

I found a tutorial somewhere on line on how to convert SVG to GSD and vice versa but I can't remember where. I'll try to find it again. May be able to just do a search too. ;)

Thanks Diana! That's too much work for me. I just download from quickutz. They have a million gorgeous vines and leaves!
          I just cut Lisa's vines out by hand. By the time I get everything set up on the Silhouette I already have a vine cut out. hee hee

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Thanks ladies. Lisa have you had any trouble signing in to the online store. I tried yesterday and couldn't log in.I tried to call silhouette and their voice mailbox was full. I wanted to look at some tutorials, and get some images.

It's usually pretty jammed up on the weekends. I don't usually visit the store then. It's also probably even busier because of the new software. You should be able to view tutorials tho. those are not in the store but on their site. You can also visit their blog they have a lot of tuts on there.

I have a Silhouette SD…and I LOVE IT!

I make a lot of images in GIMP…and then use the silhouette sd to print and cut them…it is totally awesome! I have not done any svg files..but you could just save the image as a jpg…and then insert it into the program…and find the outline.

And on another note…I don't use the new software…because you can't use the outline feature…and that is what I mainly use it for. I am going to try something….

Okay..so maybe I am behind what you need…since I just noticed this thread today. I was able to save the image above on my computer. Then open a new file in my Robo Master program…(the new program doesn't do this yet..I think)…use the find the outline feature…and it shows up fine. You just need to clean up the nodes…so it will cut faster. Sorry if I am way behind the times on this post.

I think we are all soooooo smart on converting and fixing the files so that we can cut just about anything out there! I've converted my GSD files to SVG so I can cut them on my cricut. My Silhouette only cuts 8.5X11….and I want big things…..like mats for my LO's.

I think we are all soooooo smart on converting and fixing the files so that we can cut just about anything out there! I've converted my GSD files to SVG so I can cut them on my cricut. My Silhouette only cuts 8.5X11….and I want big things…..like mats for my LO's.

OMG…you must be reading my mind…because I have been trying to decide which program to get to go with my Cricut….which I bought first…only because I thought I could get it to do what the Silhouette does…lol. Then I just bought the Silhouette. My cricut has been in the cabinet since I got the Silhouette SD…..
            I too want mats for my layouts…lol…too funny that you would post that. I want to make some larger borders. I need to get either SCAL…or Make the Cut …I'm not into all the cartridges…
            I was going to design for the Silhouette store…but all the images I create are jpgs…..and if I switch them to svgs..they tend to lose a lot of detail. Of course they wanted all designs submitted as svgs. So I just decided to forget about it…LOL. If you have a good link to share on the converting…please let me know…otherwise I will look it up.

I still think you must of been in my head!

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Okay..so maybe I am behind what you need…since I just noticed this thread today. I was able to save the image above on my computer. Then open a new file in my Robo Master program…(the new program doesn't do this yet..I think)…use the find the outline feature…and it shows up fine. You just need to clean up the nodes…so it will cut faster. Sorry if I am way behind the times on this post.

So Heather, since I have the new software I can't do it this way. Plus I am an idiot when it comes to converting files. Can you tell me how to convert this, since the new software won't find the outline. Thanks

We are expecting a snow storm tomorrow and I want to play.

Kim

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.