Home Forums Scrap Chat Challenges April SGC – Spring Cleaning – Time to VOTE!

This topic contains 193 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Snagg1 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 195 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

And the winner with the most points and votes is ……. CHERYL! The second winner of a random draw made by my daughter is ……TINA! Congratulations to you both! Please send me your address in a private message and I will get your RAKs off to you.

I'm going to put everyone who's entered the challenge, here at the top of the thread, so it's easier to keep track of when it comes time to vote.

Here's Christy's beautiful writing desk:

1333915805_227_FT151184_desk1.jpg

1333915805_227_FT151184_desk2.jpg

and Kim's lovely clock layout:

1334692365_131_FT151184_april_sgc_.jpg

Rae's beautiful card:

1335372910_16_FT151184_photo3-001.jpg

Jackie's creative Christmas mini:

1335414124_876_FT151184_swirlydoos_sgc_04-12_1.jpg

Peggy's totally cool Configurations display:

1335620508_36_FT151184_sewing_curio_.jpg

Connie's awesome use of left-over paper:

1335669648_793_FT151184_mini_0011.jpg

1335669648_793_FT151184_mini_0022.jpg

Jackie's oh so gorgeous Spring layout:

1335811127_876_FT151184_swirlydoos_rr_04-2012_.jpg

Cheryl's glowing prom layout:

1335819839_17_FT151184_sgc_spring_cleaning_.jpg

Manda's stunning piece of art for her mom:

1335832996_39_FT151184_img458.jpg

Tina's serene and lovely ocean view:

1335845630_233_FT151184_dsc00367_.jpg

Ok ladies, a recurring theme that I’ve noticed as we chat on the forums, is that we have kits PILED up that we have NEVER gotten anything done with, past petting and drooling over, Dusty Attic that we HOARD, tools that we’ve purchased in excitement and then never USED, special flowers that we’re SAVING … are you seeing a theme here?????

So… roll up your sleeves, we’re doing some SPRING CLEANING for the challenge this month!!

[img:width=244&height=210]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1333308647_550_FT0_excited_woman_spring_cleaning_clipart_image3.png[/img]

I challenge you to pick a SWIRLYDOOS KIT that you’ve been meaning to use, and USE IT! Go deep into the dark coers of your craft room and pick out something that is calling to you. The project doesn’t have to be a layout, it can also be one of the altered items or technique kits, such as the Kaisercraft drawer:

[img:width=400&height=393]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1333308686_550_FT0_drawer.jpg[/img]

Or the beautiful canvases we have purchased to create magic with:

[img:width=500&height=500]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1333309726_550_FT0_sbc_pp-av-th92952.jpg[/img]

It just needs to be a project that you’ve been MEANING to do, and WANTING to do; it just got put on the back buer for whatever reason.

THE RULES:
      – use a kit that’s been sitting for awhile, neglected and forgotten!
      – must be 75% Swirly stuff
      – you may submit more than one project (just in case you do some real IN DEPTH cleaning and find all sorts of stuff you want to do!)
      – the project MUST be created new for this challenge (that’s the whole point right???)
      – the project can be used for more than one challenge

TWIST:
      You will get an extra point for each, if you do the following:
      – use a piece of your Dusty Attic hoard (or other piece of chipboard if you don’t have any DA *gasp*).
      – use a tool that you bought but haven’t used yet, or don’t use very often.
      – use one of the “Anatomies of a Layout” for inspiration (for any newbies, you will find them under “Tutorials, Tips, Tricks, and Techniques” in the forum).
      – make your own flowers using one of our designers’ tutorials.

PRIZES:
      There will be beautiful RAKs for
      – winner with the most votes and
      – winner by a random draw

Please post here in the Forum, and also in the Gallery. There is an album in the Gallery under Member Hosted Challenges, called “SGC Challenges” – post your project there with the title “April SGC Spring Cleaning”.

You have until midnight MST April 30th to upload your project. Voting will begin May 1-3rd with the winners being announced on May 4th. Please PM me your top 3 favourites and don’t vote for yourself as you will be receiving an extra point just for voting.

For my example I used last October’s “Midnight Waltz” kit:

[img:width=555&height=618]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1333309801_550_FT0_midnight_waltz.jpg[/img]

I started off being inspired by Lisa Gregory’s “Anatomy of a Layout”, but mine took on a life of it’s own, as we all know happens. (That’s the beauty of inspiration.)

[img:width=600&height=599]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1333309936_550_FT0_1331691217_55_ft0_dsc_6197_.jpg[/img]

I did in fact have DA that needed to be used, and the punch was a Martha Stewart one that I bought for Valentine’s Day and then never got any cards made. My flowers (which I adore) were made by following a tutorial that Lisa Gregory posted under “Swirl-a–Palooza Crop 2-18-12” on the forum. They are called “Jewelled Cloisonne Flowers”.

[img:width=600&height=600]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1333311776_550_FT0_011a_.jpg[/img]

The layout that I have chosen to do is of my daughter, Melanie, when she graduated from high school. These pictures also fit in the “Spring Cleaning” theme because she graduated in 2006 and I have been meaning to make them into a layout for the longest time. (6 years to be exact!)

I got thinking (REALLY thinking) about Melanie after seeing Tracey’s beautiful tribute to her daughter “Pretty, Pretty, Please”.

Melanie is only 23 and she has been through more trauma, already, than most adults I know. In spite of everything, she has soared high, her mantra being “What doesn’t kill me will make me stronger.” (She believes this so firmly, she has it tattooed on her back.)

There is a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt that reminds me of Melanie, “We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face…we must do that which we think we cannot.” For me, Melanie defines the word “courage”.

She has been studying at SAIT in Calgary, the past couple of years, for a Chemical Engineering Diploma and has done so well, and enjoys it so much, that she has decided to move down to Butte, Montana in the fall and pursue a Degree in Mechanical Engineering. I will miss her deeply, as she has tued into a wonderful companion, but I watch her leave with pride because I know she has strong wings carrying her, and she will, indeed, achieve the lofty goals she has set for herself.

Thank you for letting me indulge in some sentimental reflection about my daughter. I hope you are able to find time in your busy schedules to do the challenge, and when you are done, I know you will enjoy the sense of accomplishment that comes with a little bit of Spring Cleaning!

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Linda, That is such a beautiful LO and a sweet story of your daughter which is very beautiful. And that quote is very true what don't kill you will make you stronger I believe that…. It's kinda of funny I just used the midnight waltz kit on a cigar box today. When I joined Swirlydoos I ordered all the 2011 kits I could get my hands on….. They are beautiful….

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Sounds like this should be fun for everyone. Your layout of your daughter is gorgeous and what an inspiration she must be to your family!

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Say it isn't so! People here buy things and don't get around to using them? (looks away sheepishly) Okay, maybe I could do the canvas technique kit. Or the Christmas stocking. Or dig into the Mon Doux kit – I know it's recent but I've only pet it, and haven't even gotten in much of that. Then there are all my embellies from Midnight Waltz … You did say we could enter more than one project, right, 'cause clearly I have dozens that qualify 🙂

Your LO is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the story behind it!

We're heading out of town until the 11th but I will definitely put this at the top of my To Do list for when we get home.

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Maybe I could do something with Beau Jardin .. that was one that just did not speak to me. I actually had it in the blessing pile but decided to save it in case I needed the pastel for the RR this time.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

BTW, Linda, great new avi!

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

Linda your new photo is beautiful!

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

Aw thanks you guys. The other pic was a younger me … now I'm legit. ;) You can see that I've embraced my grey hair! LOL.

Thanks for the kind words Debbie. Our kits really are spectacular aren't they? I'm hoping to pull another one from my pile and do something else with it, yet this month. Hmmm, maybe something for Mother's Day. Dad just built mom a new desk … she might need something to store things with … hmmm.

Thank you Steph. When I started this layout I thought I was going to go all pretty, pretty in blue and white, but it went in a whole other direction. I made an error on it and had to cover it up with glimmer mist and I liked the spot that I misted so much that I just took that bottle and sprayed away all over the place. It was very liberating for someone who has always liked to stay between the lines! LOL.

Jackie, whatever you decide to do, I KNOW it will be awesome!! Are you going on an Easter holiday? Wherever you're off to I hope it's relaxing and fun!

Sandi, that's the first time I've heard the term blessing pile. Is that where you pass it along with your blessings? I haven't done anything with that kit yet either, !sad but I think it's really beautiful. I know you will pull off something stunning if you decide to go with it.

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

Linda, love your gorgeous new avi!!!!!

And I love your challenge idea. I just may have some project feeling all sad and neglected…. Off to start digging!!!!

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

Peggy, you are so sweet! You have been rocking the challenges lately, can't wait to see what you pull out of the pile!

craftysprinkles
                        Swirly Scrapper
                          Send PM

Wonderful challenge! You know, Midnight Waltz is one of my favorite kits- I love that Glitz paper so much! But, I haven't even touched it! We moved the month it came out, and I got both that and the Beau Jardin kit at the same time. I've been hoarding it for some reason, but this is a good one to pull it out! Thanks, Linda!

Krissy
                          Krissy
                          Swirly Admin
                            Send PM

At least you have a good reason to have a hoard Rae. The thought of moving still makes me shudder… and we did it two years ago. UGGGhhh… the memories….not good. Can't wait to see the beautiful creation you will come up with!

craftysprinkles
                            Swirly Scrapper
                              Send PM

We're off to Palm Springs with the extended family for a week. It's hot and sunny and the house has a pool, what more could a girl ask for? Although I googled and apparently there aren't any good scrappy stores nearby, so I guess that's the one downside.

Krissy
                              Krissy
                              Swirly Admin
                                Send PM

Hot sun and a private pool … recipe for heaven! *laughing* you know you're an addict when … you're going on a holiday and the first thing you scout out is scrappy stores! Just teasing! My husband and I are going on a cruise to Alaska with friends this summer and I'm already planning on how I can get away from him for awhile to search for scrappy stores! %-6

craftysprinkles
                                Swirly Scrapper
                                  Send PM

At least you have a good reason to have a hoard Rae. The thought of moving still makes me shudder… and we did it two years ago. UGGGhhh… the memories….not good. Can't wait to see the beautiful creation you will come up with!

Moving SUCKS. And, I hate that we are renting, because that means we will have to move sooner than I'd like again. The house we live in now is beautiful, and literally a two minute drive from the school. I'm actually a little nervous about having to move, even though we have leased this house until April of next year- the owner is coming from out of town, and wants to drop by in a couple of weeks to talk to us. I hope it's just about general stuff, and not that he needs to move back in. That would be a nightmare.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 195 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.