Home Forums Scrap Chat General Stuff Art Journaling

This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  NanciOgilvie 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Am I the only one who is not a fan?? If it's your thing fine, but I don't want to do it. I am also not a fan of having to use so many mediums on layouts. Why am I buying the paper, just to cover it up? Am I the only one?

I'm trying everything at least once. I don't do a lot of layouts, preferring cards and tags, and I love making mini-albums and books. It's all about the creativity for me.

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Grrrr, just lst my post….sometimes I really hate my iPad…

So…. As I was saying, I love what other people do in their art jouals but I draw a complete blank when I try todo something. OMG Peggy and Kathi can attest to that, why I share my shame with others, I don't knw but anyway they saw my fes. Hilarious & the mst godawful mess you've ever seen. Why did I embarras myself by showing itto them??? Still wondering about that.

I do enjoy paying with mediums but I can't bear to cover up a pretty sheet of paper so I really get what you are saying.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

I like peoples art joual pages but I'm not interested in doing it myself.

Since I teach Art Joualing classes, and most of my recent posts in my gallery ar AJ pages…I guess I fall on the love it side.

I use them as chances to try new techniques and products etc.

Snagg1
            Send PM

I tried but it seems like so much work to hide in a book. My pintrest board is full of other's beautiful jouals-mine has two pages,lol

I like MM in doses on the paper or lots of it on a canvas or paper that isn't working for me. I do like making small canvases that I just paint and mist and glue and whatever..have fun with it!

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Grrrr, just lst my post….sometimes I really hate my iPad…

So…. As I was saying, I love what other people do in their art jouals but I draw a complete blank when I try todo something. OMG Peggy and Kathi can attest to that, why I share my shame with others, I don't knw but anyway they saw my fes. Hilarious & the mst godawful mess you've ever seen. Why did I embarras myself by showing itto them??? Still wondering about that.

I do enjoy paying with mediums but I can't bear to cover up a pretty sheet of paper so I really get what you are saying.

The Fes!!!!!!! LOL, Maggi, you did it because you love us. Not that bad, actually, just not your best work :p

I'm like Christy. I think that this is a good way to experiment with mediums and techniques and ideas. A lot of mine are fails, but better in a book (did you know that you can use old hardcover books, too?) than on a layout that I'm working on.

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

I actually like art joualing. I only have 2 pages so far also but I have the desire to continue more in that. Come march that is my goal.

I truly like the original intent of art joualing. I always interpreted as a joual of expressions etc but in art form instead of writing. It's a personal joual that has no right or wrong way.

I also understand why people use it to try new mediums and techniques. I do not feel every art joual page is for display. It's mainly for the artist.

Now for the mediums, I actually like mixed media especially on canvas or other things. I do like to add to my layouts but only to enhance or bring out a patte paper. I do have some patte paper that I just can't scrap with and I was told to create a gesso background. I haven't tried that, I just normally sale it in yard sale or give it to the kids to play with.

Please keep in mind these are just my opinions of art joualing and mediums.

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

I think it's about stepping outside of your box and trying something new. If you want to try techniques/mediums and don't want to cover up your pretty paper, then use an art joual.

Not everything is going to be for everyone, but you don't know until you try it. I love the art jouals of others I have seen. I've tried it, not as impressed with my own pages, but the thing is I tried it. I may even try some more, the creating process was fun, regardless of what my end product looked like.

Snagg1
                    Send PM

I adore all forms of paper art. I started out scrapbooking about 8 yrs ago and was quickly introduced to mixed media in conjunction with scrapping so to me the two have always gone together. I've been art joualing and altering books in different forms for about 4 years and I love it. There are so many forms and styles of art joualing. What I enjoy about it is there is no right or wrong and everyone can find their own beauty in their own style.

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

I think if it's not something that you want to do, then don't do it. πŸ™‚
                      I don't have an art joual yet. I have tried it out in my circle joual group, and I think it's very challenging, but I love to experiment and try new ways to use mixed media.

As for using mixed media on layouts, you don't HAVE to do it. It is super trendy to do so right now, especially with masks and washing out some of the pp with gesso. I love the texture that it adds, and I personally like how it enhances the images on the paper. However, it does take some practice to get it to look right for me.

I think that the mixed media trend is fascinating. I don't use a lot of the techniques I see. I lea the ones that I like, and use them when I want. πŸ™‚

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

I bought the art joualing add on so intend to really give this a try. I love looking at them, just not sure how much my style they are.

craftysprinkles
                        Swirly Scrapper
                          Send PM

You know, I think you can MAKE it your style. I think it's totally possible to have a scrappy art joual. In fact, when I make one, I'm going to make it how I want it to look. I think it's important to make sure you have fun and like what you make, no matter what project you work on.

Krissy
                          Krissy
                          Swirly Admin
                            Send PM

I guess I am just stubbo. Scrapbooking was different when I started and I guess I am resistant to the change.

craftysprinkles
                            Swirly Scrapper
                              Send PM

I don't think you are stubbo, Barbara. If it doesn't appeal to you, then don't feel obligated to do it. When I taught classes at my lss, there were a lot of women who HATED the distressed look. They still took my classes, knowing that I did that on my projects, but they didn't do any distressing, and that's totally fine. You have to use techniques that YOU like. You make beautiful layouts, regardless. πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.