Home Forums Scrap Chat Challenges August 2015 SGC: Excellent Books

This topic contains 62 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by talkis talkis 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Peggy
    Peggy
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

It is a truth universally acknowledged that the Swirly Savages love to read. As a matter of fact, we include a Forum devoted to Excellent Books here in the Non Scrap Chat section.

And what do YOU love to read? You can tell us about a favorite book, a favorite author, a favorite character or even a favorite genre, that’s up to you…

Rules? Not many this month; it’s August, it’s hot, and we’re mostly in vacation mode, so who wants rules?

While we all love to see you use your Swirly pretties, this topic is so broad that you may need to dig into your stash to scrap your Excellent Book and that’s fine.
      And with that in mind, you don’t have to be a subscriber to enter this challenge, as long as you’re a member in the Forums.

I’m not very demanding when it comes to titles and journaling, so that’s up to you. However, I do ask that you tell us a bit about your Excellent Book when you post your entry.

Speaking of posting your entry, in order to qualify for a RAK, we need to see your project here in this Forum, as well as in our Facebook Gallery.

The last day to post will be Monday, August 31. I’ll be asking for votes on September 1.

And here is my example:

I do believe that Krissy read my mind when she came up with the July kit; it was perfect for what I wanted to do!
      All of the papers, the chipboard fan and the brad are from the Main Belle Fleur kit; the flowers and trinkets are from my stash.

I’ve been a Janite since the twelfth grade, when I was assigned Pride and Prejudice in English class. I fell in love with Miss Austen’s style of writing immediately and went on to read her other works. More than fifty years later, I still pick up at least one of her books every year and spend some hours enjoying life in the early nineteenth century English countryside.
      Her heroines can be wonderful: the intelligent and independent Elizabeth Bennett, the selfless and long suffering (almost to the point of being insufferable, I’ll admit) Elinor Dashwood, the sensitive and loyal Anne Elliot are some of my favorite characters in literature. But I also take a lot of pleasure in some of her more flawed ladies, such as the charming and totally self-possessed Emma Woodhouse.
      Best of all are her secondary characters, among them Isabella Thorpe, the hypocritical flirt; Miss Bates, never-quiet, always grateful (and quite lovable) daughter of a pastor’s widow; Mr. Collins, whose combination of stupidity and conceit is just delicious; Lucy Steele, the clever and self-serving adventuress; Mrs. Norris, the (rhymes with witchiest) of all the people who inhabit these wonderful books.
      I’ve mentioned Miss Austen’s writing style. It’s relatively light and breezy in an era of ponderous writing, full of subtle sarcasm and wit.
      The plots are pretty simple: girl meets boy, there are misunderstandings and obstacles, and all turns out well in the end. That’s fine; my enjoyment is in the words and pictures that Jane Austen uses to get there.

I’m so glad that I’ve picked this topic. Not only am I being reminded of old favorites and introduced to books that are now on my “moost read” list, but I’m overwhelmed by the gorgeous pages that you’ve created to tell us all about your “Excellent Book”.

Paula
      null

Donna

Kim

Ginny

Jan

Cheryl

Paula #2
      null

• This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Peggy Peggy.

A clean house is the sign of a lazy scrapper.

Merrihew
      Merrihew
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Wow! Your example LO is lovely, Peggy! Love all the framed images and how you used the chippie fan! I will need to see if I have the picture of my favorite book that I copied for a past challenge and didn’t use. It would be great for this challenge!

luv46kdz
        luv46kdz
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

Oh Peggy what a beautiful lo! Your pics are perfect and they look fab with all the layers ❤️ Oh your flowers ???

My oh my what a scrumptious theme for this month ? I have many book loves ????

Peggy
          Peggy
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

I can’t wait to see what you all come up with!!!!!

Debbie
            Debbie
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

I think your layout portrays your book perfectly. Great Layout.

RAE
              RAE
              Swirly Moderator
                Send PM

This layout is stunning, and I love this challenge!

msjan1
                msjan1
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Printed my pic and will work on it at camp!

GinnyH
                  GinnyH
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

What a great challenge!
                    Love your punching and inking and the layered frames Peggy!

ginny 🙂

luv46kdz
                    luv46kdz
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

My book is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. This puppy is a chunkster as is her following ones in the series. Over 600 pgs. It’s a book of time travel and a rich love story of Claire Randall and Jamie Frasier. Claire and her husband Frank are on a second honeymoon after WWII. They’re in Scotland where he is also doing research on his ancestors. While sightseeing on her own she winds up at these Stonehenge type pillars and gets swept up and back to Scotland 1743. Her husband’s ancestor and filthy son of a bitch soldier in the British army, Black Jack Randall finds her and is going to rape her when she’s saved by the MacKenzie Clan and she meets Jamie. Their story is one that moved me so much, what Black Jack does to Jamie just about broke my heart. What a book that will stay with you and if you don’t know, Starz has the series now and it’s damn awesome. The pics are the two stars, Sam Heughn and Caitriona Balfe. Superb!

I used the Spring Chic kit for this lo

null

null

null

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by luv46kdz luv46kdz.
                      msjan1
                      msjan1
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

Gorgeous, Paula!

Peggy
                        Peggy
                        Swirly Scrapper
                          Send PM

My book is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. This puppy is a chunkster as is her following ones in the series. Over 600 pgs. It’s a book of time travel and a rich love story of Claire Randall and Jamie Frasier. Claire and her husband Frank are on a second honeymoon after WWII. They’re in Scotland where he is also doing research on his ancestors. While sightseeing on her own she winds up at these Stonehenge type pillars and gets swept up and back to Scotland 1743. Her husband’s ancestor and filthy son of a bitch soldier in the British army, Black Jack Randall finds her and is going to rape her when she’s saved by the MacKenzie Clan and she meets Jamie. Their story is one that moved me so much, what Black Jack does to Jamie just about broke my heart. What a book that will stay with you and if you don’t know, Starz has the series now and it’s damn awesome. The pics are the two stars, Sam Heughn and Caitriona Balfe. Superb!

I used the Spring Chic kit for this lo

null

<hr>

<span id=”quote-reply-422646″ style=”display: none;”>luv46kdz</span>Quote

Beautiful!!!!! I love all of the vines and swirlys and deep purples!!!! And you certainly have me intrigued!!!! I’ve just put Book 1 on my Amazon Wish List.

msjan1
                          msjan1
                          Swirly Scrapper
                            Send PM

Peggy, I will be photographing mine tomorrow and sharing!

dllanclos
                            dllanclos
                            Swirly Scrapper
                              Send PM

Ok here is my Layout. My layout is more about my favorite author. Eleanor Hibbert, a British author, who was a prolific writer who published several books a year in different literary genres, each genre under a different pen name: Jean Plaidy for fictionalized history of European royalty; Victoria Holt for gothic romances, and Philippa Carr for a multi-generational family saga. A literary split personality, she also wrote light romances, crime novels, murder mysteries and thrillers under the names Eleanor Burford, Elbur Ford, Kathleen Kellow, Anna Percival, and Ellalice Tate. The only books I ever read were the ones by Victoria Holt.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by dllanclos dllanclos.
                              Attachments:
                              You must be logged in to view attached files.

Donna at Lazy Lucy

luv46kdz
                              luv46kdz
                              Swirly Scrapper
                                Send PM

Donna, so pretty I love the paper tearing. The whole thing is alluring, a dream like quality to it ? What an amazing author to have so many pen names, one for each genre!

msjan1
                                msjan1
                                Swirly Scrapper
                                  Send PM

Wow! I’ve read some Victoria Holt-had no idea about her history! Great story and love your lo!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.