Home Forums Tutorials, Tips, Tricks and Techniques Technique & Project Kits Beeswax, Canvas, Flowers and Stencils

This topic contains 26 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Snagg1 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQTWVpeL57A?rel=0&hd=0&color1=&color2=&cc_load_policy=0

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Loved this Lynne. Only one problem…have to get a melting pot and beeswax now! ;D

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

Great video, Lynne!

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Great video Lynne.

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Ordered my beeswax today…woo hoo!

Snagg1
                Send PM

Loved this Lynne. Only one problem…have to get a melting pot and beeswax now! ;D

Actually, I've seen other people like Claudine Helmuth use a really teeny tiny crock pot.  She keeps her wax in there all the time and just reheats when she needs it.  I think it is a quart in size.  I have one that I pulled out of my cupboard last night.  I rarely use it for food, so I'm gonna claim it for beeswax. 🙂

Snagg1
                  Send PM

Lynne, I'm gonna play with a canvas today and I'll post pics here. Can't wait to start playing! It's 5:45 in the moing, WHY is my DH still sleeping?!!

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

Have fun sweetie!! Can't wait to see your creation!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

Lynne, I'm gonna play with a canvas today and I'll post pics here. Can't wait to start playing! It's 5:45 in the moing, WHY is my DH still sleeping?!!

The nerve of him! ;)

Snagg1
                        Send PM

Things leaed about beeswax:

1) it doesn't play well with pastels. LOL The pastels get all chunky. Ick!
                        2) Can put perfect pearls on there (in powder form) and buish it.
                        3) Tried stamping into it with a rubber stamp. Don't quite have this perfected yet.
                        3) it mutes and softens edges of things.
                        4) Molding paste holds up quite well to the heat (as long as you let is fully dry and harden)
                        5) Doesn't seem to have much of an effect on mists, paints or inks. Meaning they pretty much stay as you had them.

Hope this helps. I have a canvas that looks like it has been through hell and back again. LOL

craftysprinkles
                        Swirly Scrapper
                          Send PM

Let's see it!
                          I still need to buy beeswax.

Snagg1
                            Send PM

Oh, you don't want to see it. I worked on a canvas for the purpose of testing things and seeing how the beeswax behaved. Nothing pretty about it.

Krissy
                            Krissy
                            Swirly Admin
                              Send PM

How about….inkin' up your canvas with what ever mists you have…..brushing on beeswax….then melting it off….for an encaustic look….

ohhhhh here is one I may need to try….brush wax on canvas….place a pretty paper napkin on canvas….heat wax that is undeeath….hmmm! If needed brush wax on top of napkin!!

Snagg1
                                Send PM

It is pretty inky. I may go over parts of it with white gesso to clean it up a bit.

I have a wide (about 3-4 inches) piece of fabric that is cut like lace on there for texture, but it didn't dry the color I was hoping it would so it gets kind of lost.

I brushed on the wax, I poured it on, and I added the pellets directly to the canvas and melted it with my little iron and then used my heat gun to melt it more and push it around. I had a lot of fun.

I was really just playing for the sake of seeing how it acted and interacted. Gesso or white paint may be the answer. LOL

Also, I think I would get a better encaustic look if I had the yellow (natural) wax. I misted my canvas first in 3 different colors, when that was dried I used a wall stencil (one you would buy for your house or fuiture) and plopped that on there in a few places with molding paste. After adding the fabric, a few to pieces of paper, a stamp, some molding paste wings, paint, more misting, pastels (then finger blended) and some rub ons – I then melted the wax on there and you really don't see it, unless you put it on heavy and let it stay that way. Then you get that off white color. Otherwise, it just mutes and softens things, but you can't tell that it is because of the wax. KWIM?

Krissy
                                Krissy
                                Swirly Admin
                                  Send PM

My michael's didn't have any beeswax. Where else can I find it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.