Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Excellent Books Book Club

This topic contains 36 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  craftysprinkles 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

I was looking through the topic list as I was remembering the 'book club' we had here awhile back when we read Shutter Island. Completely shocked that awhile back was in 2010 – no way.

Curious if anyone participates in active book clubs and if so what you are reading. I recently got involved in a small one where we read so many chapters and then meet once a week to talk about the book so far. It has been a lot of fun and if forcing me to read – in a good way, because I always felt guilty reading as there were so many other things I 'should be' doing.

We will be finishing up 'In the Woods' by Tana French next week. Killed me to have to stop reading this week as the last chapter we were supposed to read ended in a confession of the killer and had to leave it there…so wanted to read ahead a bit…LOL Next book on the list is John Saul's Manhattan Hunt Club.

Snagg1
        Send PM

I would love a book club! Because I spend so much time in the car, i listen to books on tape. Right now I am reading House Rules by Jodie Picoult-wicked good!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Wow!! It was that long ago!! Sheesh!!

Right now I'm reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.
          I really want to read Gone Girl but I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Wow!! It was that long ago!! Sheesh!!

Right now I'm reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn.
            I really want to read Gone Girl but I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback.

I'm sure that should be out in paperback by now.

Snagg1
              Send PM

I love to read. I just started The Burgess Boys by Elizabeth Strout. I recently finished Gone Girl and highly recommend it. I get the majority of my books from my local library but I have read three books so far on my iphone.

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

OMG, Sherri, I do remember that!!!!! Was it that long ago???????

I've downloaded Gone Girl to my Kindle, but I just haven't been reading for the past several weeks for some reason.
                That one is what I'll be reading next, though.

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

I have NO time to read right now. 🙁 And, I got spoiled using dh's kindle until it broke. Now when I'm reading a physical book, I'm all like, This is too heavy and bulky. It doesn't help that I'm reading a huge S. King book either.

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

I'm so behind. I have 3 books sitting on my iPad because I'm in the middle of reading a book I just realized I read already. That's how long it's been.

I have been on the road so much this year that I have started listening to audio books! They sure make the trip go faster. I am listening to a Nora Roberts one now. Whiskey Beach

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

I am NOT ashamed to admit that I am RE-READING the Dark Hunter series. Not only because it is FABULOUS (i love acheron), but also because I want to read the newer books but need a refresher on the previous books to get me back up to speed. I think I've read 8 of them in the last 3 or 4 months. =o)

Did I ever mention that MEG (you old timers will know who i'm talking about) had a teddy bear sent to me, wearing a dark hunter shirt? The teddy's name was Acheron? I had him on my bed until he was absconded by my teddy bear stealing daughter. =o(

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

Some really good suggestions ladies, thank you. I have added to my list for possible upcoming reads to float past the group. I have also passed on others to people I think would like some of the books suggested.

How many of you still read actual books vs e-readers of some sort? I love my kindle and definitely prefer reading this way, but shopping on line is no where near as fun as going into a book store and browsing around and finding your next read. Most of the book stores in our area are closing also which is very sad to see.

craftysprinkles
                        Swirly Scrapper
                          Send PM

Sherri, I so hear you about the browsing! I used to spend entire afteoons in the Library doing that. Now, there is one Baes & Noble nearby and I guess it's our fault. Amazon is convenient, we love our e-readers and it's becoming harder and harder for the true bookstores to stay in business.

As far as which I prefer, I seem to find that light reading that can be put down at any time is perfect for the e-readers. When it comes to something that I want to sink my teeth in, there's still nothing like paper and ink!

I have so many good intentions to read, I have two Patterson books on my bed table, but haven't started either one. 🙁

Krissy
                          Krissy
                          Swirly Admin
                            Send PM

Some really good suggestions ladies, thank you. I have added to my list for possible upcoming reads to float past the group. I have also passed on others to people I think would like some of the books suggested.

How many of you still read actual books vs e-readers of some sort? I love my kindle and definitely prefer reading this way, but shopping on line is no where near as fun as going into a book store and browsing around and finding your next read. Most of the book stores in our area are closing also which is very sad to see.

I do both Sherri. I love reading on my iPad, but I also love the feel and smell of the actual book.

I prefer to have a physical book to read, but I do like the convenience of the e-reader app on my phone for things like waiting at the doctor's office.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.