Home Forums Scrap Chat General Stuff Charity Scrapbooking

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Snagg1 3 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

I didn't want to hijack the question of the week thread, but loved the idea that Tracey mentioned and that get me wondering is anyone doing or knows about opportunities where we could donate some of our scrapbook talents to worthy causes?

The only one I know is Operation Write Home, which provides cards for service personnel to mail to their loved ones. They don't allow glitter because night vision equipment can pick up even one little piece of it.

Their web site is http://operationwritehome.org/

Snagg1
        Send PM

I've been doing Random Acts Of Mail on Facebook since last fall.

Try your local Make A Wish foundation or a Children's Hospital. They may have someone in need.

Snagg1
          Send PM

I work for a Hospice and we train our Volunteers on how to life Joualing with our patients. I would love to start a program that creates simple blank scrappy jouals that they can use instead of just sheets of paper. It's really about capturing the memories at that point. When I worked at a nursing home,in collaboration with the Social Worker and activities staff we presented memory books for a memoral service for our long-term residents. I had creative memories small books that I filled with pictures of the resident from the activities staff and joualing spots. We then passed it around to the staff and other residents to write about that resident. The families loved them.One time I was explaining the book to one of our residents and she said.That's lovely,Dear. Mightened we have something like that while we are still alive?

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

I work for a Hospice and we train our Volunteers on how to life Joualing with our patients. I would love to start a program that creates simple blank scrappy jouals that they can use instead of just sheets of paper. It's really about capturing the memories at that point. When I worked at a nursing home,in collaboration with the Social Worker and activities staff we presented memory books for a memoral service for our long-term residents. I had creative memories small books that I filled with pictures of the resident from the activities staff and joualing spots. We then passed it around to the staff and other residents to write about that resident. The families loved them.One time I was explaining the book to one of our residents and she said.That's lovely,Dear. Mightened we have something like that while we are still alive?

That's a nice idea

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

life joualing That's an incredible thing to do for your patients Tracey. I can only imagine what it means to them, to sit and reflect, and put down on paper. Is it just for them, as they deal with their critical illness, or are these given to the families the way you did at the nursing home?

I can't imagine how heart touching it is for the recipients to receive such a gift. I love the story about the resident, so cute… but I get what she meant too. A couple of the ladies that come to my scrapbooking classes are in their 80's and I just love their sense of humour and attitude about life.

So are you thinking we could make jouals with left-over paper for your hostice patients to write in? I'd love to do that!

You've sparked another idea for me with the memory book idea. My brother died over 25 years ago in a car accident and I still miss him so much. I think I will go back through my photo albums, and dig up the photos of him and write everything I remember about him. He was such a wonderful young man, I feel so bad that my children never got to have him as an uncle in their lives. Maybe this will be a way for them to get to know him. Thanks so much for sharing this idea.

A friend of mine is doing joualing albums with pictures for her kids, but she's not telling them. She's going to leave them somewhere in her house for the kids to find after she's gone. She's telling stories about them that they've probably forgotten. Great idea, don't you think?

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

What a neat thing to do for those residents Tracey, I bet they were really happy and the families too.

Wonderful idea to do a book on your brother, at least your kids will be able to lea what he was like.

Sue that's a great idea your friend is doing, I can imagine how thrilled her kids would be to find these after she's gone.

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Tracey, that's a wonderful idea!!!!

Linda, yes, do that!!!! It's something that will mean so much to your children.

Snagg1
                    Send PM

Wow-these are all great ideas,ladies!
                    Linda-that would be beautiful-it would be a shame to leave those memories undocumented. The life reviews they currently have our basically a list of questions on plain paper and I would hope they are leaving them with the families but I don't really know. At my last nursing home the activities staff would do a writing workshop and have the residents write about their lives. When I asked if they were putting these in a notebook they hadnt even considered that and were just throwing them away after. stupid.
                    Sue-that's a cool idea!
                    Id love to do a workshop with our volunteers to create simple jouals with some pizazz to use with our patients. Honestly,the thought of taking on one more project is overwhelming though. I need to hit the lottery so I can stay home and do charity stuff all day 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.