Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Photoshop converting to black & white

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GlitterGirl 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Snagg1
      Send PM

PSE experts. How do I make the color to black & white conversion look good. I know I need to look through all my tutorials, but coming from people who do it well helps more.

I know the basics, but am never happy with the results. I never can tell on the screen wether I should add or subtract red, etc. Also, is it better to print them on semi gloss or glossy paper?

I love this place for the BW actions – http://www.thecoffeeshopblog.com/ and they are free.

I'm never happy when I try to do it myself either. Oh and pioneer woman has some good BW actions too!

Actions are the way to go. There are lots of sites out there with free ones. Or visit some of the places we have posted or check our blogs for photography sites.

Glossy or Matte is a personal preference. I usually print on Matte but sometimes I want a shiny photo so it's just a matter of taste. You can sometimes get glare when photographing a layout with a glossy photo.

Snagg1
        Send PM

thanks girls

It takes a lot of practice to get a really great BW photo. They are usually to gray and flat..Auto doesn't do it. You have to play with all the channels under adjustments in Photoshop. So actions are the way to go. My fave come from Totally Rad and MCP.

I just bought a package from MCP, but I think I should have bought the one with all the black/white actions. Maybe next month….. B)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.