Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff Coyote in my yard

This topic contains 22 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  lisajoy 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Yesterday at 8:ooam I was busy making Lisa's coconut cake recipehttp://www.swirlydoos.com/sd_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?27384

and let the cats out for some sunshine. They love to sit in the yard and doze on a nice day or hunt for bugs and mice. I keep my eye on them and babysit, as we call it. I also keep the sliding glass door open so that the cat can run back in is they sense danger.

I forgot to keep the door open one day and my one cat darted from the backyard and whacked into the glass door. Funny – but not so much.

So I am baking away. In comes 1 cat. I look out the window to see what she is staring at and a coyote is in my yard. Never seen a coyote in my yard. Fox, skunk, a resident deer that my cats like, but not a freakin nasty ass coyote.

So I screamed because the coyote started running in the direction of my second cat. I must have startled him because he ran past the cat and crossed the street. I ran and got the cat, scooped him up and poor thing was shaking. He usually runs when he even sees me walking in his direction but the things was so frightened frozen. He could not even run from the coyote.

Now my house is odd. I live in a housing tract. My house is in woods, but the rest of the neighborhood has no woods – just house after house. They do not usually see the critters I see, so for a coyote to run through the neighborhood is really scary.

I quiver to think I can close to seeing my cat snatched by a mongrel. It's like having gators in your back lake. You never know when they will pounce. But with this coyote, there is no safe zone like a gator may have. It's not enough to just stay away.

Neighbor guy said that coyote's been casing the neighborhood for a few weeks now and has seen him several times. Fabulous!

So glad you got your kitties to safety!!!

We have Florida Bobcats and a Panther that wander through from time to time. Our subdivision is surround by conservation areas. My kitties go on the screened in porch but no further!

Glad your cats are ok! Here, about 30 mins north of me, we've been having the same issues with bears and cougars (stop giggling, I mean the actual cats) our development of the land is really encroaching on their homes and they come looking for food.

A while back we had a problem with feral cats and that spawned fear of a growing coyote population. So the county was offering traps, and they would pick up the cats if you trapped any. There were more coyote sightings, but when the cat population died down, so did the coyote sightings..We have them though, And I live on a preserve so I see everything. Glad your cats escaped…

Holy cow – I'm whining about a Coyote and you guys have bobcats and panthers? Wow, that's bad stuff.
    Today, little cat wants to go out so bad to chase butterflies. Makes me sad to say no.

Glad your cats are ok! Here, about 30 mins north of me, we've been having the same issues with bears and cougars (stop giggling, I mean the actual cats) our development of the land is really encroaching on their homes and they come looking for food.

lmao…

Glad your cats are O.K. Jennifer. Out here, we have lots of coyotes, but they rarely come in the yard!

[quote]

lmao…
    [/quote]
    same here!

I lived near Lubbock, TX when I first got married. We had coyotes everywhere. The farmers would kill them and hang their carcasses on the fences. There was a bounty for them. The hunters would cut off their ears and collect $$$. We had several yard animals killed that year that we lived there.
    I feel sorry that the animals are getting their lands taken away by humans. What are they supposed to do but go hunting for food? It's a catch 22.

I lived near Lubbock, TX when I first got married. We had coyotes everywhere. The farmers would kill them and hang their carcasses on the fences. There was a bounty for them. The hunters would cut off their ears and collect $$$. We had several yard animals killed that year that we lived there.
    I feel sorry that the animals are getting their lands taken away by humans. What are they supposed to do but go hunting for food? It's a catch 22.

it is a really sad situation!!!!!

Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

I hate coyotes… They attack our small beagle all the time and we shoot them every single chance we get.

They are a nusance/predator animal that will attack small children and they should all be wiped out as far as I'm conceed.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Yes, coyotes are not God's favorite animals. I'm not sure if I'd rather have coyotes or alligators??? Thank goodness, all we have around here are skunks, possums, raccoons, and nutria and rattlers. The nutria will chase your dogs and cats, but I don't think they go after humans.

Yes, coyotes are not God's favorite animals. I'm not sure if I'd rather have coyotes or alligators??? Thank goodness, all we have around here are skunks, possums, raccoons, and nutria and rattlers. The nutria will chase your dogs and cats, but I don't think they go after humans.

had to google nutria – never heard of them. according to the description, that's a good thing.

Will have to google them.. don't know if i want to lea about any other critter that will take on my kids or kitties

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.