Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff Did you hear about this?

This topic contains 36 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  lisajoy 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

Yesterday, I was listening to a moing radio talk show, and they were talking about this restaurant in N.C. that doesn't want crying kids in their restaurant. Here's an article about the restaurant: http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/message-to-parents-getting-louder-no-screaming-babies-allowed-2388887/
      I was amazed that people were calling in to say that they disagree with the policy and that it's discriminatory against kids. Who wants to listen to that when they are trying to eat? I know I don't. It's not like you HAVE to go to a restaurant with your kids. I NEVER take Owen out to eat- he would be one of those kids. I do take him shopping because I have to, and sometimes he does get a little wild, but I don't have a choice.
      I just thought this was crazy that people were getting upset about it!

Since I am past the stage of having crying kids[my kids didn't do this in restaurants] I think its a grand idea! I can't tell you how many times we have gone out to eat and had to deal with other peoples kids screaming and crying. It is VERY annoying! Now we kind of look to see if there are young children sitting in the area we plan on sitting and try and avoid those areas.

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I had not heard of this, but I really think the last sentence is spot on. I can't believe how many times I see parents that seem to be completely oblivious to what their children are doing. I am pretty tolerant of such things as I know kids can get tired, cranky or bored and you can't always predict when that might happen, but I am so amazed at the percentage of parents that are doing nothing to address it and let them continue. Very sad.

I agree with Bonnie and Sherri. My DH and I have been known to get and move to another table

When I went to visit Thelma afew weeks ago there was a baby 2 isles up that screamed the entire flight
        The mother was trying to calm the child but you're a prisoner on a plane and you can't escape!!!

Wow I don't even know what to say to that. I have a very difficult child who I have not brought to a restaurant until recently when she could sit and not tear the place apart or screech at the top of her lungs. However when she was about a year old, I did travel with her before she became difficult and in another state which shall remain nameless since we have swirly girls who live there I was biotched at by a patron because my 1 year old was making 1 year old noises in THE OLIVE GARDEN!!!! Hello, when you go to a restaurant with high chairs and crayons I do not think you should expect a quite meal. She wasn't screaming or yelling or crying she was making 1 year old babble. I nearly tore the ladies head off. I was tempted to stay and order dessert just to torment her some more but I didn't. She ruined my trip. I ate in all fast food places or at the hotel because I found the culture of that state so weird an unfriendly. In a family restaurant you should be able to bring your family– and kids make noise. Who decides what noises are inappropriate?

I would never bring her to a nice restaurant where there were white tablecloths and 35.00 lobsters but I don't really know how you can teach your child to behave in public if they aren't allowed in public.
        I would never have flown with her. Hence, I have not traveled with her in 3 1/2 years because I didn't want to be tortured or torture someone else with her noise. However she is a little person of her own and no matter how much attention I am paying, I cannot control when she decides to scream.
        Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. I guess I'm one of those people who are offended by this.

None of my 3 kids ever acted up in a restaurant, plane, or grocery store. With that being said, in July my dh and I flew from NL, there was a toddler boy who screamed at the gate for 45-50 minutes, on the entire flight from EWR to CLT; while the mom and dad were completely oblivious. As much as that unruly kid got on our last nerve, the parents did even more so-the epitome of inconsiderate. We no longer go to family restaurants for this reason. Am finding this issue becoming more prevalent as time goes on. So I think this is a great idea and hope it spreads.

even in a family restaurant if a child acts up then the parent should get up and take the child outside.

We're not talking normal children noises here. we're talking behavior that should not be tolerated by the parents let alone complete strangers.

Lisa, I'm sorry that lady didn't have the brains God gave her and that she ruined your trip. She should taught the proper way to behave also

Well that's my problem with this I guess. I knew my child was one of those kids I could not take out from the time she tued 18 months. She was a hellion. And I did not take her anyway or travel with her. I could not bear the thought of being on a plane with her and her having a meltdown. Two weeks ago I had to drag her out of a childrens museum kicking and screaming and hitting me all the way. But I have common sense and do drag my kid out when she is acting like a horror. I have never been anywhere where a kid has acted like that and the parent just let it go.
        What I don't like is when someone tells me to take my child and leave when she is just being a normal kid in a family restaurant! Yikes!

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

Lisa, I am sorry that happened to you. Everyone knows that the Olive Garden is a family restaurant, so there should be some level of understanding there, especially if she wasn't crying.

Planes are very difficult. I've only flown when it was necessary with my kids. Audra was 1 when we went to Boston, and on the flight home, she was a NIGHTMARE. While there was little I could do, I was apologizing to the people around me because I was so embarrassed. I think that people are receptive to that because they see that at least parents aren't ignoring the behavior.
          Owen has been really unruly in stores, but I have to shop, and he's unruly in different way- he gets angry at me and then he will bite me and pull my hair. He rarely whines or cries when he's out. But, like I said, I have to get groceries and medicines and things like that. I've had numerous people tell me rude things about this.
          However, I think restaurants are different, depending on the restaurant. Chucky Cheese and those sorts of places- you can expect that there. But if there is an establishment in a city that doesn't want your crying kids there, I think it is their right. There are other places to eat.

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

I'm interjecting. Let me first say I am at a level of pissed off that I have not seen before and I mean no disrespect to anyone – I'm just HOT!
            I am just coming in from picking my dd up from school. I am so pissed off i'm SHAKING. Many of you know my son has Autism. While he's always been pretty high functioning and hasn't had any really bad consistent behavioral problems, they are starting now. He's been a completel hellion for the last three weeks. Tantruming, throwing himself to the floor and screaming bloody murder, not listening to direction when out in public. One therapist had to put him a basket hold restraint and fought with him for an hour and a half this week. Yesterday he fought with another therapist and punched her in the face. He is FOUR YEARS OLD. His behavior has gotten so incredibly bad – we don't what is causing this sudden change and I just can't take it anymore!
            I had to go pick Ashli up from school. Mason comes with me because Gregg is asleep. I couldn't leave mason in the car, because he just gets out of his carseat and climbs all over the car, messing with the levers and controls. Plus, I'm terrified that he will open the door and get out of the car. I have to park in the street when I pick her up – there is no parking lot. If he were to get out, he would probably get hit by a car. HE HAD TO COME WITH ME. He was running around and playing while all the parents congregated waiting for their kids to come out. He walked up to a woman and her two young girls and sat down next to the girls wanting to be near them. He was smiling. He got a little too close to one of her girls I guess and she grabbed her girls and stormed away. I went to get Mason and he ran for the school. At this point all these parents are looking at me as I have to grab his hand and pull him back. He of course DROPS to the ground, starts kicking and screaming and fighting me so I have to put him in a restraint hold while he's screaming the entire time. Ashli came out, and I tried to get through the HUGE crowd and get us out of there. I had to pick Mason up and carry him (while he is screaming and fighting me) and carry him about a block and a half.

THE ENTIRE WAY PEOPLE WERE TALKING SHIT ABOUT ME NOT BEING ABLE TO CONTROL MY SON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT A TERRIBLE LITTLE BOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HE FREAKING HAS AUTISM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish that these people would shut the F up,  STOP judging me and my son. Walk a mile in my shoes then come talk shit to me.

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Damn Krissy I wish I would have been there with you!! I understand people have opinions, but I just wish they would keep them the hell to themselves, especially in situations that they know nothing about. It's pure ignorance on their part and ignorance creates stupidity! I just wish you had someone backing you up, so that these people had a chance to feel like shit for opening their mouths like that.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Thanks Mandy =o)

Usually I do stop and say something if/when people make comments. A woman made a comment this moing when mason was tantruming at the fish store. She wasn't RUDE about it, she just suggested that maybe he hadn't had enough breakfast. I politely assured her that the problem wasn't the amount of food he ate this moing.

The worst part is the looks. People give you the most horrific looks of disgust. I'm fairly certain I'm going to end up in Jail one of these days if people don't back the hell off and understand that they shouldn't judge others lest they walk in their shoes.

gah. sorry for the hijack! Thanks for the sympathetic ear!

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

My exSIL has a son who is 5 and autistic as well and she deals with the same things when taking him out in public. He is really mellow at home, but crowds get him going you know. She has had to say things sometimes as well and she told me, it's like she needs to buy him T-Shirts that announce he has autism. She was joking ofcourse, but that's how she feels sometimes.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

It's not a hijack! I am so sorry that is happening, Krissy! I hate public criticism of Owen. I get it all the time. It's heartbreaking how ignorant and vocal people can be. When I brought this up I was only talking about that restaurant! Not other public places. I am in complete agreement with you. ALL citizens, even young children with disabilities, have a right to be a part of society without feeling discriminated against, especially at a school. In fact, it's really important for kids with Autism and other afflictions with behavior problems to go out to public places so they can lea how to deal with being in public. The only way for them to get over their aversions to being around other people and noises, and whatever other tactile issues they have, is to be around all of these things. And, if behavior problems occur, removing them from the situation only makes things worse because they lea that if they act like that whenever they are in public, they will only act like that more often quicker, to get out of a place they don't want to be.

Just to sympathize, I've already had several encounters with adults and kids at Audra's school. She's only been there two weeks, and Owen comes with for the drop off and the pick up, and it's been amazing what I have heard, and what people have said to my face about Owen, and he hasn't even had a tantrum. I get so angry about it, and there is nothing you can do except to school these rude people. I used to not say anything, but I pipe up all the time. I've already made an enemy of one of the parents of another student in Audra's class because I told her daughter she was being rude. Owen was doing some hand-flapping. She said, Ew, mom, look that boy's retarded or something. I want to stand somewhere else. The mom didn't say anything, so I told her, You are being very rude. Someone needs to teach you some manners. We can hear you. The mom got pissed and told me not to talk to her kid. I told her that someone needs to. If you don't pipe up, the comments just get worse.

Hugs to you, Krissy!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.