Home Forums Scrap Chat Ask the Designers Difference between molding paste & texture paste?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  odiammy 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

LisaV,

Didn't you use texture paste on your last layout for the damask stencil? Is there a difference between texture paste and molding paste? I thought you used molding paste on your Christmas Tree tutorial awhile back? Help! Now I'm confused. Which one do I need?

Anyone can chime in if they know they answer, not just Lisa:)

Snagg1
        Send PM

There really isn't much difference. I prefer to use Golden's Light Molding Paste on my canvases and pages. It can be found almost anywhere, or you can buy it from Dick Blick online.

I used the same thing on my Christmas trees. Sometimes I use the words texture paste/molding paste interchangeably and I probably shouldn't. I use Molding Paste.

I would not suggest using a heat gun to speed the drying process. It will bubble up like puffy paint and stink! Ask me how I know. :P It will take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour for the paste to dry and harden. You will want to make sure it has hardened before you start painting, misting and inking.

You can also mix arcylic paint into to color it from the get-go! Hope that helps!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Beyond helpful, thank you so much!

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Lisa, would drying oveight be a better idea, or is the 20 minutes sufficient?

Snagg1
              Send PM

Lisa, would drying oveight be a better idea, or is the 20 minutes sufficient?

20 minutes is only sufficient if it is a thin layer. For my RR page, I left it sit oveight. I knew I would be using ink and a blending tool so I really needed it to be hardened other wise I would have pushed it around my page, or at the least smooshed it.

You should plan ahead if you are going to use it. don't rush it or you will be disappointed and discouraged.

Snagg1
                Send PM

Oh, another thing about texture paste, if you apply it over mists or especially distress ink, it WILL absorb some of the color. As an example, here is the top to an altered box I did for Petaloo. SSSSHHHHH!!! it won't be posted on their blog until the 28th and then I can post it where ever so keep this between us! LOL

ChristmasKeepsake-1.jpg

See the leaves and swirlies in the lower left coer? I used a stencil from Layers of Color and molding paste on that. I had already inked and distressed the kraft paper below it when I added the paste. As it dried, it absorbed some of the Vintage Photo ink into it, giving it that pale color. Do you see what appears to be stripes in the color? This is actually from the resist on the paper below it. Since I wiped the ink off the resist, it came through on my template. Kind of cool effect and a happy surprise.

Just thought you should know that so you aren't surprised.

Snagg1
                  Send PM

OMG too big. Give me a minute

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

Well, I don't see a thing ;) and thanks for the explanation, that really helps a lot!!!!!
                    BTW, my hallucination is stunning!!!!!!!!!!

lol Peggy

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

Beautiful Lisa!!

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

That project is just gorgeous! Can hardly wait to get my molding paste!

Well, I don't see a thing ;) and thanks for the explanation, that really helps a lot!!!!!
                        BTW, my hallucination is stunning!!!!!!!!!!

rotfl!!!

I went to Michael's to purchase some molding paste. They had no clue what it was???
                        Would someone please give the official name and maker of molding paste so I can get some? Thanks so much!

Krissy
                        Krissy
                        Swirly Admin
                          Send PM

I went to Michael's to purchase some molding paste. They had no clue what it was???
                          Would someone please give the official name and maker of molding paste so I can get some? Thanks so much!

I usually get mines from an art store.

craftysprinkles
                          Swirly Scrapper
                            Send PM

Can you use Gesso in place of molding paste? Just carrying over from Paulien's tute it looks as though you can?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.