Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Photography DSLR Recommendations

This topic contains 23 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Snagg1 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Do you have any recommendations for a novice/beginner photographer wanna be who wants to upgrade to this type of camera. I'm shopping it and wondering where to begin. What brand/ type etc.
    Also, any thoughts on buying a used mint one as a first camera?

Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

I have a Canon XLT Rebel and I think its a great camera. I got it several years ago and they have come down in price. My choice was between this one and the next Canon up, can't remember what it was called. The Rebel will shoot 3 fps and the next one shot 5 fps. I didn't think I needed the extra speed there. Speed is important for shooting moving subjects like my dogs. I know with the other digi camera we have, it takes great pictures, but by the time it takes the photo, the dogs have moved out of the picture frame. I think that's a fairly common problem with many non SLR digi cameras.

But ultimately, I based my decision on the fact that the Rebel is plastic and therefore lighter. Although plastic is a bit more breakable, weight really conces me as a heavy camera around the neck aggravates arthritis in my neck. The REbel shoots from fully automatic to fully manual which was something I definitely wanted.

The other factor that caused me to buy Canon is that I already owned 2 film Canon SLRs and the lens from those will also work with the Rebel. I would look at both Canon and Nikon.

I'm sure you know that megapixel size is important for getting good detail. Mine, as an early REbel, shoots at 8.1 or something like that . I think they are up to 12 by now. This is great because I always shoot at max size so that I can zero in on a small part of the photo and increase its size for printing.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I can vouch for what Maggi said. I have a Canon Rebel as well….aside from the various settings manual or automatic, I seem to have found alot more lenses compatible with Canon as opposed to other cameras 🙂 There are a TON of possibilities 🙂

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Any thing Canon or Nikon. There are a variety of Consumer (the everyday photographer)and Prosumer (Able to shoot like a pro with the bells and whistles) cameras. What price range are you looking at. I stuck with Nikon, because my SLR lenses fit my DSLR camera's. Although my next camera will probably be a Canon. I am waiting for the next generation 5D Mark II camera..I'll wait. Only because I will inherit some serious glass from my uncle.
        Honestly, if you are not willing to lea manual, then a point and shoot is your only option. When you do get the DSLR…lea it!! Both ways. Start automatic, study the settings, then start experimenting in manual mode.

I have owned both Canon and Nikon, both are equally as good as the other. Preference is what sets them apart. You need to feel them in your hands for comfort. I felt my Nikons are more comfortable than my Canons.

You need an exteal flash for most higher end Canons. They dont have a flash on camera. So that would be an added expense.

I'm just researching at this point. I want to lea photography. I want to be able to use it in manual mode. I'm thinking for a starter that getting a used one off ebay might be a good option. I'm not sure on the price range yet. I have to do the research and see what they go for.
        If you were going to invest in one thing first, having pse already, would go with getting a DSLR or CS5?

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

DSLR for sure!

DSLR is my vote also. I'd opt for photo image quality first.

The age-old discussion Nikon vs Canon. There are pros for both and I do think they are both personal choices. You'll be happy with what ever your choice.

In all my photo classes I've taken in the last year, the classroom is usually split 50-50 and we get funny about our cameras. The Nikon gang sits with the Nikons and eye up the Canons and the Canons show us how impressinve looking their lenses are.

All in good fun.

Canon lenses are so much more impressive looking in my opinion. Intimidating.

I have a Nikon D60….great as a point and shoot or a manual….I love it.

I have had a Canon Rebel XTi for a couple of years now and I love it. One reason I decided on it was so I could used the lenses from my Canon Rebel 35 mm. I have not really leaed to use the manual features yet and really should lea that! But, I do love my camera!

Snagg1
            Send PM

I've also had a Canon Rebel for a few years and I love it. I have purchased some lenses for it as well and at this point have enough money tied up in it that I added it to my home owner's insurance LOL!

If you buy extra lenses, regardless of the camera, make sure to pay the few extra bucks and get the digital lens with image stabilization. The farther you zoom, the more the camera picks up every little move you make. BTW, you can get non-digital lenses for DSLR cameras. So it is important to pay attention to that when purchasing them.

I can see I need to do a lot of research! My head hurts.

[img:width=18&height=25]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1290483410_38_FT52379_confused1.gif[/img]

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM
              OH OH OH I want to pipe in. I have the Original Canon Rebel DSLR. I went from a point and shoot to this camera and while it did have a steep (for me) leaing curve – it was very gentle with me.

Canon Rebel was rated as the number 7 DSLR Camera in the world (and kept it's spot). It's a very affordable (for a dslr), user friendly, high quality entry level DSLR.

FIRST thing you  need to do is get the book Understanding Exposure 

OH OH OH I want to pipe in. I have the Original Canon Rebel DSLR. I went from a point and shoot to this camera and while it did have a steep (for me) leaing curve – it was very gentle with me.

• Canon Rebel was rated as the number 7 DSLR Camera in the world (and kept it's spot). It's a very affordable (for a dslr), user friendly, high quality entry level DSLR.

• FIRST thing you  need to do is get the book Understanding Exposure This is the photography BIBLE. Read it, lea it, DO IT!

• Lisa's right though, if you don't have the patience to LEARN how to shoot in full manual mode, then a DSLR is not for you. If you only use it in Automatic mode it becomes a very expensive point and shoot. 

• Do your research. Read the manufacturer descriptions and always read the consumer reviews as well as the professional reviews. A DSLR is an investment that will quickly tu into a Loving relationship. 

• Canon vs Nikon:  Two different types of horses here, but still they are both horses.  With a Canon you're going to get more lens versatility and crisper photos. With a Nikon, you're going to get better color saturation. Both are expensive, both have a leaing curve. Both are high quality cameras.

• *NOTE*  Canon and Nikon do NOT have interchangeable lenses. Once you go with one brand of camera and begin buying lenses for it – you will probably need to stick with that brand of camera or lose all the cash you've spent on your lenses.

• Do NOT purchase the less expensive lenses just so you can add a lens to your collection. It won't be worth a crap and you'll end up never using it. Save your money up and only purchase high quality IS lenses if you can help it.

As I mentioned, I've had my Canon Rebel forrrrrrrr gosh like 4 or 5 years now? I LOVE it! I did finally just upgrade my camera to a Canon D7.  (I wanted the D5 Mark II but can't afford the extra $1000.00 it would have cost over the D7!)  Even going from one Canon DSLR to another holds a steep leaing curve. Just go to a store where you can get a feel for the camera. Think about the type of photography you'll be doing and what (if any) added expenses you will need to incur to do that type of photography. Will you need backdrops, lights, exteal flashes, remotes, tripods etc? The equipment adds up for sure so definitely think through and make sure you make the right decision for you!

GOOD LUCK!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.