Home Forums Welcome to Swirlydoos! Introduce Yourself! Gail from Eshowe, Zululand – South Africa

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Snagg1 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Hi there everyone
    I am Gail Macaulay, and was bo in Zambia, but immigrated to South Africa when I was 10. I am now 50, met my dh when I was 16 and have been married for almost 32 years to my first real love (you know, I had infatuations before then ;) ). We have 3 children who are 31, 28 and 26, I have the most gorgeous, intelligent, way advanced grandchildren ever to be bo into this world (big grins) two of them; a boy and a girl. My husband has his faults, (like any human being) but not amongst those are his generousity, kindness, loyalty, loving and hardworking; AND pure indulgence of my whims, which I assure you are many!

I started scrapping in 2003, when my daughter who was suffering from teenage depression decided she might like to do it, so I started buying stuff, then, because she hadnt started doing anything decided to research and we would create together, well that was it, I was hooked, and have been ever since. Before this I was a dabbler in all things crafty, sewing, embroidery, painting, drawing, knitting, crocheting you get the picture, just about anything crafty I have tried it at least once and have the gadgets. I also had my own pottery business for several years.

I have given classes in my home for the past 9 years, and started up the cardmaking craft section in the Old Age Home in my town of Eshowe. Working with the elderly has been a truly uplifting highlight of my life.

I was a very active member of Scrapbook.com and 2peas for a few years, but went off on a tanget of making cards and stopped submitting my cards there. I go under the name of magicalmagpie for 2 reasons, I am like a magpie, because I love anything bright and shiny, and the magical is an anagram from the first seven letters of my first name and suame.

Up until this challenge I have been a stalker, as you may have seen I have been a member since July 2010, although I have been getting kits since July 2009!
    So its confession time……. and its bad………… I have made exactly three things from my kits that I have been collecting over the years. I know right! Okay so confessions over, let me tell you what took my out of stalkerdom and into swirlydom; I started organising my kits, taking them from the boxes and putting them into baskets, one for embellishments, flowers and then a file divider for the paper. This was wonderful because now instead of opening up 50 thousand boxes (yes a slight exaggeration) I now just pull out a pretty white wicker basket and rifle through that and get an appropriate flower or embellishment. I have written on each packet in permanent ink the name of the kit and the Month so that if I love the flower I can look in the corresponding embellisment basket and find just the right one to match. This took a couple of days to do, but really worth the effort.
    And that was when the challenge was announced!
    Aha, a light bulb went off through the guilt mist of my hoarding, I signed up for the challenge. Oh, and Krissy will laugh at this because I read it as being a years challenge and I asked if we could at least have 3 weeks of the year where we dont have to submit, because we go away quite a lot! LOL, (and I have to confess I thought that by the time the year was over the prize would need to be revamped because there would have been so many new things that would have come out during the year! Silly me!)
    Of all the resolutions I have made with each passing New Year over the years, this is quite probably the first I have stuck with. Yay Me!

So with all those confessions behind me, and now 6 weeks later, if you have managed to read this essay so far; Thats Me!

Thanks so much for the comradery, and the encouragement the challenge has been just the right thing for me at the right time and I hope not to be a stalker any longer and become more of an active member of the Swirlydom community.

Gail
    xxx

Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Yeah! Welcome to the group Gail!

Snagg1
        Send PM

Gail, you crack me up! You fit in just fine and I'm so happy that you are no longer stalking.

Welcome to Swirlydoos, Gail!

YAY you! Congrats on no longer having stalker status and are now just a savage.
        Welcome 🙂 !

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Welcome to the savagery. Since you WERE a stalker you know that we are all a little nuts around here. So please jump right in and join the fun in the forums and the challenges

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Gail, I'm so glad that you've decided to give up stalking and to become a real Savage!!!!!
            Looking forward to getting to know you better…

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Welcome Gail! Looking forward to getting to know you! Wish my kits were all organized like yours!!!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Hi Gail!! Glad you've decided to join us!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Snagg1
                  Send PM

Welcome welcome Gail! I think you have quite a bit in common with alot of us and I have really enjoyed seeing your creations in the challenge!

Hi Gail, Welcome to Swirlydoos!!!

So happy you came out of the stalking shadows!!!

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

Welcome!

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

It was wonderful to read about you Gail!! I love your style and your work!! Welcome to the forums.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Snagg1
                        Send PM

welcome!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.