Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Prayer Requests I love my dog…

This topic contains 28 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  craftysprinkles 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

So we rescued a dog last October. His name is Buddy and he was older than 2 but not quite 3. The crazy dog-lady we got him from lied through her teeth about his past so we didn't know much. Best guess is that he is a lab and shepherd mix. He was malnourished, dehydrated, and just wasn't well taken care of. But, he was smart and had an interest in the kids.

He gained weight and strength and grew INCREDIBLY attached to me. We had some growing pains as he got adjusted (pooping on the carpet) but they were short lived. During this time period he snapped at my husband but we chalked it up to fear of the unknown and not quite knowing if he could trust us.

Then in the Spring he and Nate got into it again. Nathan created a heated situation between him and Buddy so I don't entirely blame the dog. Nathan won the fight and Buddy has been submissive…until now.

Last Thursday he bit my hubby when he wouldn't come and Nathan grabbed at him. The bite was a single tooth and was deep on the top of the wrist. Buddy was scared after he did it and for the next 2 days acted like he was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Nathan's hand swelled up so big it looked like a Mickey Mouse hand. It's sore but the tendons still work. The swelling has reduced over the last couple of days.

On Sunday moing I caught him getting into the garbage. When he wouldn't come to me I reached for his collar and he snapped at me. Obviously he now thinks it's ok to bite when he knows he's in trouble.

It's completely irresponsible to continue having him around the kids. At what point does he determine they did something that's a bite-able offense? This dog was obviously raised in a hostile environment as a pup…it's very sad. If we called animal control they would put him down and aren't willing to do that. I love this dog. He's such a sweetie. My bro-in-law is friends with a dog hippie lady who rehabilitates shepherds who exhibit excessively hostile tendencies. They evaluate the dog, figure the triggers, rehabilitate, and place the dog in a proper home. If the dog is unable to be rehabilitated…they euthanize. Just from hearing the details she's very conceed…she said he should never bite the hand that feeds him no matter what. Nathan feeds him every day.

I'm so upset. She's out of town til Wednesday and she said to keep him in the cage because we pretty much are back to square one…he can't trust us…we can't trust him. I feel so bad keeping him in there until she can come get him. Sure it's big enough for him to stand and stretch and everything…but I love him. My kids love him. They are heartbroken.

I come home to find Nathan on the computer researching puppy mill cuz he thinks he's going to get a puppy. I'm so frustrated I could spit. He chose this dog in the first place and now he acts like he can't get rid of him quick enough. Not only that but I HATE dog breeders who overbreed, in breed, and treat the animals like a useful object for a paycheck. I really have no want to support that…and I still love Buddy

Thnks for letting me pour out my heart. I understand that this forum has things that are a lot more serious than a dog but…I just needed a good vent and a good cry.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Can't give much more than {{{HUGS}}} and an ear, but you are welcome to all you need…

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

So sorry to hear this Andie. You can vent anytime you want to hon! Hugs!

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Oh Andie, this is so, so sad. I love dogs so much, but you just can't take a chance with your kids. Best to keep him in the cage (or perhaps a secluded area) until the trainer lady can evaluate him. I don't know how old your kids are, but I saw a friend's little boy after their Golden Retriever bit him, and it was shocking the damage it did to his face.

Have you ever watched the Dog Whisperer on National Geographic TV? He works with a lot of dogs like this and completely tus them around. So it's not hopeless. I truly hope the dog lady will be able to help you with Buddy.

And hey, don't feel your grief and worry is less valid because it's a dog. There's a reason they're called man's best friend!

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Andie this is so sad. Your dog was obvisively abused as a pup. If your lady can't help him try Best Friends Animal Society out in Utah, they are a no kill animal rescue shelter. They helped to rehabilitate Michael Vick's fighting dogs. They do wonderful work with abused animals

Awww Andie, I'm so sorry to hear this. I pray that there's a way to lea him not to bite anymore. Big hugs to you and your family!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Thank you for all the well wishes and advice gals. I couldn't help myself last night when we let him out to eat and potty…I snuggled him and pet him a lot and told him I miss him. I'd ont think that was a good idea cus he got so excited…but he was dying for affection and I couldn't help myself.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Awww Andie this is so sad and I am with you on the puppy mills. I hate people in it for the money… I like Kathi's idea!!!! Sounds like he is just going to need a lot of time to over come what has happened to him and to trust someone again. You made my eyes water. I hate people who are mean to animals!!!

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

Doggy update:

So I talked to hippie dog lady…and she really is a dog hippie. She actually made reference that she thought the dog was trying to protect me and the kids. and then asked if my hubby was ever left alone with the dog. Ummm…I think she was accusing my husband of being abusive!!!

At any rate…I called our dad's and everyone seems to agree that my hubby just needs to not be so rough. so I asked hubby to make a choice, stop roughing the dog and go to obedience school, or give the dog up and we never get another.

I'm happy to say he chose to change. He and Buddy have made up. The giant baby has not left my side tonight and has been ecstatic to be around the kids again.

Does anyone think I'm being dumb here?

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

Andie I don't think you're dumb at all, our pets are family members just like our kids. I'm so glad that your dh is going to go to obedience school with the dog. I think men don't understand that sometimes they can be a bit to rough, and don't mean to. But when you are dealing with an animal that has been abused you do have to be careful as they are only trying to protect themselves or others.

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

I think it's fantastic that you're going to take the dog to obedience training. That will be good for your family as well as your dog. Definitely, rough-housing with the dog is going to get him in an aggressive mood.

We have a shepherd/husky mix and they are strong dogs with a prey drive to match. They're also super smart. Ours loves going to obedience class and playing fly ball. I had to laugh at one class, we were playing some sort of game and I screwed up but he didn't! LOL Your husband just needs to find some sort of game or activity that he can do with the dog that channels the dog's energy in the proper direction.

I would be careful though, seeing that he snapped at you too. He doesn't know his proper spot in the family (pack) and that's why obedience training will be good for him.

Good luck. They can be a lot of hard work but the devotion and love they give you is priceless.

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

Glad you're giving him another chance but remember that abused animals sometimes need specialized training. Please keep Best Friends in your options

Krissy
                        Krissy
                        Swirly Admin
                          Send PM

Is Best Friends the one that has a TV show Kathi? My daughter watches one that is a no kill facility and she used to say she was going down there to volunteer. 🙂

Andie, I am glad you decided to keep him. Training sounds perfect.

I am not a dog person, so I don't have much advice on handling or training them, I just know it is hard!

Krissy
                          Krissy
                          Swirly Admin
                            Send PM

Is Best Friends the one that has a TV show Kathi? My daughter watches one that is a no kill facility and she used to say she was going down there to volunteer. 🙂

I'm not sure about the TV show. I do know they helped rescue animals after Katrina and help rehabiliate some Of Michael Vick's fighting dogs. I visited a long time ago and have been a supporter for years. I get their magazine. They do wonderful work. And animals that can't be helped are given a lifetime home

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.