Home Forums Scrap Chat General Stuff I need a new Camera and I do not know where to start looking. Any suggestions?

This topic contains 27 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

I would like to get a new camera that is not just one of the small digital cameras. I have no idea where to start looking and should I go to a photography class even if my pictures aren't good. I don't seem to have the eye to see things that good photographers do. My late hubby was an outstanding photographer.

I sure wish I didn't get so would up at night and my brain would slow down. I stay up way too late.

Snagg1
      Send PM

Love love love my Canon DSLR. I have a Rebel and have had it for 2 or 3 years now.

A photography class would be good if for nothing else but to show you how to use your camera. I bought a book for my Canon and haven't cracked it open yet. LOL

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Me too, have a a Canon Rebel and love it. It has a plastic body which makes it lighter weight than theprofessional models up from the Rebel. For me weight is very important as I have alot of problems with my neck and can't take weight hanging from it. So this camera shots at a decent speed so that you can get good action photos and has many bells and whistles. I think all that the average doesn't really know what they're doing photographer needs.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Snagg1
          Send PM

Maggi, mine isn't terribly light-weight but that could be because of the lenses I have on mine. LOL

Lisa G. has a nice one!

I would like to get a new camera that is not just one of the small digital cameras. I have no idea where to start looking and should I go to a photography class even if my pictures aren't good. I don't seem to have the eye to see things that good photographers do. My late hubby was an outstanding photographer.

I sure wish I didn't get so would up at night and my brain would slow down. I stay up way too late.

Ahhhh Kathy – I love your questions because they seem to be the same questions I had a little more then a year ago.

others will address the camera (I love my NIKON SD90 – but the Canon folks love their Canon's).
          I am going to address the EYE. I often say the very same thing. In fact on the drive in to work this moing, it was foggy and moody and brooding out and my friend would have been able to photographically capture the moment with her amazing eye for brooding mood photos. I could not.

My friend can take a photo of a candle and make the flame appear as if it is dancing. I can take the same shot and make it look like nothing but a candle. I dont have a buing desire to shoot things. No pun inteded . 🙂
          Then again, I think my closeup intimaite shots – portraitures, are decent because this what I really like to capture.

Kathi, a poster here does the most amazing layouts of places she has visited. She loves gates. dang her gate and door photos are spectacular. I love gates too and try as I may, they do not look alive and special like she can do.

What interests you? Landscapes? Flowers? Buildings and doors? Gates? Night time photos? People? What kind of people shots? Candid shots? Posed shots?

What interestes you is probably what will be the most successful for you. Thats the way I look at it anyway.

And I would highly suggest taking a few classes if you can when you get your new camera. I have only had my Nikon for 18 months and invested a ton of time into classes to lea how to operate the functions of thhe camera to be something other then a point and shoot for me.

I have the Nikon D40, and I really like it. I could tu into a camera whore without much provacation….I have 5 cameras, but only use the Nikon at present. I'd love to have the Canon Rebel….just for grins!

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Maggi, mine isn't terribly light-weight but that could be because of the lenses I have on mine. LOL

Well yeah , when I put a 400mm lens on it, its heavy, that's what I have dh for. He carries my lens for me! But the body itself is a bit lighter weight than the next models up. That was totally what I based my decision on, weight. After ascertaining that a few other important features were there.

I went with Canon because I already had several lens for a Canon EOS and it didn't make sense to change to Nikon with what I had invested in Canon lens.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

[quote]

Well yeah , when I put a 400mm lens on it, its heavy, that's what I have dh for. He carries my lens for me! But the body itself is a bit lighter weight than the next models up. That was totally what I based my decision on, weight. After ascertaining that a few other important features were there.

I went with Canon because I already had several lens for a Canon EOS and it didn't make sense to change to Nikon with what I had invested in Canon lens.

[/quote]

and your photos from Alaska were smokin I must say

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

I too have a Canon rebel. I'm on my second and I love it. I also keep a smaller canon point and shoot with me at ALL times.

All I can say is once you find the right camera for you, Jen is right find out what you like to shoot. Then practice, practice, and more practice.

Snagg1
                Send PM

[quote]

[/quote]

Maggi, I found the most amazing camera bag on Amazon last year. It was super-high rated by a ton of folks including professionals. It is a back pack. I got it because we camp a lot during the summer and a regular camera bag just wasn't working for me. The bottom zips out at an angle, kind of like a drawer and it is bright yellow inside so it is easy to find all of your lenses and it is super padded. There are a ton of other storage pockets and reasons why I bought it, but the main reason is because it makes carrying my camera less of a hassle when you are hiking. I'll look up the info on it when I get home and post a link. It was a bit spendy but so completely worth it~

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

Thank you for the kind words Jen!!!

I too have a Canon rebel. I'm on my second and I love it. I also keep a smaller canon point and shoot with me at ALL times.

All I can say is once you find the right camera for you, Jen is right find out what you like to shoot. Then practice, practice, and more practice.

Ya know, I really need to get a small canon point and shoot also. had one and loved it. Then it was stolen right off my computer desk in my home by some of my son's pothead friends.

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

[quote]

Ya know, I really need to get a small canon point and shoot also. had one and loved it. Then it was stolen right off my computer desk in my home by some of my son's pothead friends.
                    [/quote]
                    Awww, that sucks. I have the Canon SX130 IS. We found it the cheapest at Fry's electronics.

I have a Canon too! And recently been looking at the Nikon's.
                    I like to check out CNET.com for reviews on each camera, prices, megapixels and other details. I find that site very helpful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.