Home Forums Scrap Chat General Stuff Interesting email…What do you think…

This topic contains 56 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Snagg1 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author

I received a very interesting email this moing from an extremely reliable source. This person said, that they knew I had entered a call for a couple of manufacturers Design Teams. Specifically ones that sell lots of flowers. Well, they went on to say, that there was probably a slim chance of getting on any of them because I make a lot of my flowers, and even fashioned some of them after the manufacturers flowers. (Well that is true, I have done a few faux flowers.) And this person said that it probably hurts my chances of ever being on one of the Design Teams. This was not a hurtful email, more like a helpful hint email. Their words were kind, but I'm not sure what to think. Do I stop creating tutorials for flowers and start using manufacturers flowers if I ever want to get on a Major DT?? I love creating the flowers! So if it means I will never get on Prima, or Wild Orchid, or Manor House, or Petaloo, then so be it…What do you all think?? Can you think of a DT team member who creates flowers of their own and is still on a manufacturers DT?? Come to think about it, I don't know anyone. So maybe this person is right!! Oh well…Just wanted eveyone's feedback.

Snagg1
      Send PM

I make my own flowers, and just taught a class on them and I'm on Petaloo's team. Although I don't create as many as you do, I still make my own.

Here's the way I see it; first…do what you enjoy. You are the BEST at making and creating flowers. Bar none and hands down, there is no one as good as you at doing that. Second: You know how to cluster and arrange your flowers. You have an instinct when it comes to them and that is important for a flower mfg. Third; you are a top notch designer that has many followers and fans. Your work is stunning.

If a mfg or major company doesn't choose you for the DT simply for this reason then IMHO they are sorely lacking in judgement. Being a designer, and choosing a designer, is all encompassing and not merely based on one skill. You have to look at the designer as a whole and what they bring to the table. You are much, much more than a flower maker.

While I'm sure that the email was meant to be helpful, I would disagree with it.

I truly don't know much about being on a DT. I guess it all depends on what you get out of being selected for the honor. You have to decide if giving up your talent is worth what you will gain from being selected and using a product instead of constructing your fleurs.
      Honestly, I feel guilty now if I use a ready made fleur…..My LO is not original and true to me. I don't feel that way if I take a HL flower and jazz it up….I'm still being artistic…..Making the daed flowers is half the fun!

Wow… I thought with your amazing talent mfg would be jumping at the chance to have you on their teams. I would never have thought that your talent could ever hender you. I agree with Lisa, any mfg that doesn't choose you for that reason are solely laking in judgement. I guess you would have to weigh your options on this one. Do you really want to give up something you really love? Is being on a major DT something you really want to do….

Just a personal note, and not meant to influence your decision. You are the reason I started making my own flowers. From the 1st time I saw your work on the HC blog, I wanted to do what you do. I've spent so much time, going through your tutorials . I LOVE your work.

I completely and wholeheartedly agree with Lisa V!

AND Regina!

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Well, Lisa, you are amazing. I'd just echo what everyone else has said, but I do think you are an amazing designer, even without your signature flowers. The fact that you CAN recreate the flowers made by Prima and the others is indeed a testament to your talent, and any company that can't see that is not worth your time. Any DT would be lucky to have you. You have a huge fan base, and they would be the ones missing out because whatever you create, at least 1000 people are going to see it, love it, and want to buy the products that you used!

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

Okay, Lisa, I'm going to give you a very vague answer, sorry.
          I'm not alone in automatically equating you with flowers and with including you in my mental list of whose work to look at for inspiration. To me, that's a plus for any flower manufacturer.
          But, thanks to you, I'm now making a lot of my own flowers, so I suppose that I may be buying fewer from the manufacturer. The Prima rack at my LSS used to be a source of extreme temptation for me; I haven't bought anything off there in over a year. That's not entirely because of my flower making: Krissy keeps me very well supplied, and I have purchased Petaloo and Wild Orchids flowers. It's just that I'm buying far less frequently.
          Well, that's both sides to the picture from here.
          LisaV seems to contradict the advice that you got in the email. Do you know other flower DT members who could give you discreet opinions?

hmmmmm wow – You have a gift for creating flowers. You enjoy flower making. You can go in other directions with your flower creations – who knows where your amazing talent will lead you? A book tour? A new manufacturer’s line?
          You have to decide what you love and what scrapping means to you. What are you willing to sacrifice?

Lisa, what is the agenda of the person sending you this email? While you may also have it from a reliable source, one can never be certain what the intentions of that source are deep down. What is this person’s real agenda? I am not suggesting that your source is untrustworthy or even malicious in keeping you from applying to a manufacturer. But people have been known to have hidden agenda’s that are self serving. Heck if I could hip check you outta the way for that DT job just by sending you a credible email and making you doubt yourself, then I’d do it. (well not really, but I love a reason to hip check).

I do understand what Peggy says about encouraging others to make flowers instead of buying them and I agree. Your flower tutorial following is probably the largest in the world.

Now is that really enough to have a manufacturer decide not to grab you up? I’d think they were foolish because whatever you do with handmade flowers is exactly the same with packaged flowers. So who’s the real fool? Them for not realizing that very simple fact.

I think manufacturers are comprised of a bunch of smart people. I am not sure they see you as a threat because your work speaks for you. Your flowers can easily be substituted for packaged ones to serve the manufacturers purpose.

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Interesting email and I am sure there are some that would look at it that way. There are also people that would follow the thinking if you can't beat her get her to join you throw so many flowers at her she won't be able to find anything she needs to make her own.

Truthfully it just depends on how the person making the decisions thinks. I would think that it would be a good business decision for them to have you on their team.

I would have to have the mind set like I do for any job search. You get what you are supposed to get, stay true to yourself and it will all work out.

Thank you girls. Well, I will NOT stop making flowers and that includes the faux flowers. I really enjoy doing them , and I enjoy sharing so that you can do them yourself. I know you make flowers and have done a class Lisa, but I figured that I do so many of them that, that was a difference. I guess if I started using more of the manufacturers product, that would give me a better chance if I applied. That only seems natural. BUT, if making my own is actually hindering my chance then so be it…Cause I love creating my own flowers. It is a challenge for me sometimes.
            Thank you for all of your kind and encouraging words. I just wanted to get someone elses opinion on this subject. I take honor in the fact that I have a wide fan base without soliciting any of them with Blog Candy or the likes. If they joined my blog, I would hope it is because they wanted to and not because I was giving something away. BUT..I noticed one particular designer (on another team) that gained 60 new members because they had awesome blog candy they were giving away (you had to become a follower). There is NOTHING wrong with that. I guess it is kind of an OCD game with me. The same reason I don't cheat (lol) when it comes to posts here. Seriously…I think it's funny that I want to know what my real post numbers are. Is that childish?? I think it's funny.

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Well, Lisa, selfishly, I'm happy with your decision, your creativity and your generosity in sharing not just the results but the step-by-step roadmaps are both incredible!!!
              But that's why I suggest a little discreet asking around. Your design talent should be a plus to any manufacturer and maybe (fingers crossed) one of them may yet realize it!!!!

Thank you girls. Well, I will NOT stop making flowers and that includes the faux flowers. I really enjoy doing them , and I enjoy sharing so that you can do them yourself. I know you make flowers and have done a class Lisa, but I figured that I do so many of them that, that was a difference. I guess if I started using more of the manufacturers product, that would give me a better chance if I applied. That only seems natural. BUT, if making my own is actually hindering my chance then so be it…Cause I love creating my own flowers. It is a challenge for me sometimes.
              Thank you for all of your kind and encouraging words. I just wanted to get someone elses opinion on this subject. I take honor in the fact that I have a wide fan base without soliciting any of them with Blog Candy or the likes. If they joined my blog, I would hope it is because they wanted to and not because I was giving something away. BUT..I noticed one particular designer (on another team) that gained 60 new members because they had awesome blog candy they were giving away (you had to become a follower). There is NOTHING wrong with that. I guess it is kind of an OCD game with me. The same reason I don't cheat (lol) when it comes to posts here. Seriously…I think it's funny that I want to know what my real post numbers are. Is that childish?? I think it's funny.

It makes you a genuine rose in a field of thistles.

I guess I would have to answer a call as well..lol..I have only applied for Prima for the past 3 years.

Lisa, you are an amazing designer and I really enjoy and have leaed a lot from your tutorials! Any manufacturer would be lucky to have you on their design team! But, you do have to stay true to yourself and I'm glad you are going to keep making and designing flowers! To me, though, it isn't only the amazing flowers you make, but it's also what you do with them on your LO's! I would hope that manufacturers would see that also.

Snagg1
                Send PM

DItto on you need to do what makes you happy. You are so talented and such a giving person. If the MFG don't see your talent then it is their loss. Personally, I can't aford to buy flowers like I want, so I love your tuttorials.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.