Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Recipes Italian Seven Layer Cookie

This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GlitterGirl 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

This one has to be my all time favorite cookies . So before I run out to the store for my annual trip for almond paste, I will leave you with the recipe of the cookies I make every year for Christmas, and special occasions too. Only the best Italian bakeries sell these delights!! By the pound. And they are so expensive. But you can make them for a fraction of the cost…Enjoy!!

INGREDIENTS

* 4 large eggs, separated
    * 1 cup sugar
    * 1 (8-oz) can almond paste
    * 2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter, softened
    * 1 teaspoon almond extract
    * 2 cups all-purpose flour
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 25 drops red food coloring
    * 25 drops green food coloring
    * 1 (12-oz) jar apricot preserves, heated and strained
    * 7 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped

* Special equipment: a heavy-duty stand mixer; a small offset spatula

Preparation

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 13- by 9-inch baking pan and line bottom with wax paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang on 2 ends, then butter paper.

Beat whites in mixer fitted with whisk attachment at medium-high speed until they just hold stiff peaks. Add 1/4 cup sugar a little at a time, beating at high speed until whites hold stiff, slightly glossy peaks. Transfer to another bowl.

Switch to paddle attachment, then beat together almond paste and remaining 3/4 cup sugar until well blended, about 3 minutes. Add butter and beat until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add yolks and almond extract and beat until combined well, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to low, then add flour and salt and mix until just combined.

Fold half of egg white mixture into almond mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly.

Divide batter among 3 bowls. Stir red food coloring into one and green food coloring into another, leaving the third batch plain. Set white batter aside. Chill green batter, covered. Pour red batter into prepared pan and spread evenly with offset spatula (layer will be about 1/4 inch thick).

Bake red layer 8 to 10 minutes, until just set. (It is important to undercook.)

Using paper overhang, transfer layer to a rack to cool, about 15 minutes. Clean pan, then line with wax paper and butter paper in same manner as above. Bake white layer in prepared pan until just set. As white layer bakes, bring green batter to room temperature. Transfer white layer to a rack. Prepare pan as above, then bake green layer in same manner as before. Transfer to a rack to cool.

When all layers are cool, invert green onto a wax-paper-lined large baking sheet. Discard paper from layer and spread with half of preserves. Invert white on top of green layer, discarding paper. Spread with remaining preserves. Invert red layer on top of white layer and discard wax paper.

Cover with plastic wrap and weight with a large baking pan. Chill at least 8 hours.

Remove weight and plastic wrap. Bring layers to room temperature. Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat. Keep chocolate over water.

Trim edges of assembled layers with a long serrated knife. Quickly spread half of chocolate in a thin layer on top of cake. Chill, uncovered, until chocolate is firm, about 15 minutes. Cover with another sheet of wax paper and place another baking sheet on top, then invert cake onto sheet and remove paper. Quickly spread with remaining chocolate. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.

Cut lengthwise into 4 strips. Cut strips crosswise into 3/4-inch-wide cookies.

note: Cookies keep, layered between sheets of wax paper or parchment, in an airtight container at room temperature 2 weeks. Or a freezer for 2 months.

[img:width=500&height=338]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1289501426_55_FT0_3145521649_8779a8787c.jpg[/img]

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

Oh, Heavenly Days!!!!! I just copied this baby!!!
      xoxoxoxxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxo Lisa

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Yum! I wish I weren't so lazy, or I would make these. I did make some awesome Mexican rice last night though.

***NOTE***

You can also use seedless raspberry jam. I usually spread half raspberry on one side and apricot on the other.

I am busy baking these as we speak!! For our Christmas party at work. We always get it catered in from the best Italian Restaurant!! Antonios..Ya need a little Italian dessert to finish a great meal!!My house smalls like almonds…yummy!!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Those are gorgeous!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Those look DIVINE!

Wow! Those look so yummy!

Awww…Man….I want to come to your house…those look sooo good! I might have to try them! If I can fit them in. You take the BEST PhOTOS ever…Lisa!

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Oh my yummy!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

I didn't take that pic, but I did take this one..I guess I could have gotten creative and plated them differently, but hell, it's for work. Presentation isn't so important to a hungry crowd!! lol

[img:width=600&height=399]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1292262045_55_FT49370_dsc_1253_.jpg[/img]

I am making them again today…I am craving them and dont want to drive to the Italian bakery…It's raining cats and dogs…

OMG!!! Lisa….You are truly amazing!!! You are a nurse, a mom, a wife, a homemaker, a super scrapper extrodinaire, a tutor for all the Swirly Sistahs, a friend to all, and a damned wonderful COOK! Is there anything that you can't do????? Thanks for this recipe. It looks yummy!!!!

Deb your so sweet!!! I cant reach the top shelves in my cabinets!!!! lol

LMAO!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.