Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Just Stuff Just Wondering… Cord Blood

This topic contains 22 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GlitterGirl 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

I was just wondering if any of you decided to save your babies' cord blood. I didn't with the first two, but I have been considering it with the new one.

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I didn't do it any of my four.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

we were considering it with both – but both came too early and beat the cord blood collection kits =o/

Snagg1
            Send PM

I have seen reports saying that it is not effective, but who knows – you might want to do some research before deciding.

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Kidless, but curious – why would you do this?

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

stem cells. In case your baby gets leukemia (or a bunch of other nasty diseases) they can be treated with perfectly matched cells.

Our little girl has been tested already because they thought she had leukemia last year. It scared the hell out of us and we were very upset because we hadn't been able to save her cord blood.

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

OMG Krissy! How scary! Thank God she is okay!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

OH Krissy!!!!! Like Ang, I thank God that she's okay!!!!

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

I didn't know that Ashli had a close call like that. What hell ride that must have been. I'm so glad she doesn't have it.
                      When Owen was in the rehab hospital in Dallas for a feeding program, the little girl in the next room was there for leukemia- it was horrendous- I cried just watching the nightmare and her and her family were going through.
                      Cord blood and tissue can sometimes help with diseases and other horrible things that happens to siblings. It's can alteative to bone marrow, which is great because finding a bone marrow match can be impossible.

I wanted to do it Rae when I had Tahlia but my husband would not go for it. It isn't free. Not only can it help siblings but can also be used for things like Parkinsons I believe. I was under the impression it could be used on the parents if they had an illness that this would help. If you have the dollars to spend I think it is a good idea.

craftysprinkles
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

It's not THAT expensive, at least I don't think so. It's $61 for 48 months, I don't have a calculator, but at about $1500, I think it's worth it. Hopefully, we would never have to use it! I just think that I want to do it because I would hate to ever be in a position where someone in the family would need it, and not have it.

When I had my children, this was not even discussed. I worked in pediatrics at U of M, nothing is worse than the loss of a child. If I was offered this again….I would do it. Who knows what they may be able to do with it in the future. But that is just me.

Krissy
                        Krissy
                        Swirly Admin
                          Send PM

My son did it with their last baby….they were told that not only can the stem cells provide a cure for many illnesses that their baby might get..but also…possibly for any other siblings and themselves if the type matches. I was there at the delivery….i was the the one running out of the hospital with the cooler to get it to the courier to Vancouver. lol

craftysprinkles
                          Swirly Scrapper
                            Send PM

Thanks for your input, ladies! I am going to talk to dh about it, and hopefully, he will agree to do it.

Unfortunately we don't have the option to do that here..the only option we have at this stage is to donate the cord blood…I think I would have done it if given the option

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.