Home Forums Scrap Chat Layout of the Week Layout Of The Week 9-4-11 ***Peggy***

This topic contains 19 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GlitterGirl 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    The Empty Chair

A man's daughter had asked the local minister to come and pray with her father. When the minister arrived, he found the man lying in bed with his head propped up on two pillows. An empty chair sat beside his bed.
    The minister assumed that the old fellow had been informed of his visit.
    I guess you were expecting me, he said. No, who are you? said the father.
    The minister told him his name and then remarked, I see the empty chair
    I figured you knew I was going to show up. Oh yeah, the chair, said the bed ridden man. Would you mind closing the door? Puzzled, the minister shut the door.

I have never told anyone this, not even my daughter, said the man.
    But all of my life I have never known how to pray. At church I used to hear the pastor talk about prayer, but it went right over my head. I abandoned any attempt at prayer, the old man continued, until one day about four years ago my best friend said to me, 'Johnny, prayer is just a simple matter of having a conversation with Jesus. Here is what I suggest.

Sit down in a chair; place an empty chair in front of you, and in faith see Jesus on the chair. It's not spooky because he promised, I'll be with you always. Then just speak to him in the same way you're doing with me right now.

So, I tried it and I've liked it so much that I do it a couple of hours every day. I'm careful though. If my daughter saw me talking to an empty chair, she'd either have a nervous breakdown or send me off to the funny farm.

The minister was deeply moved by the story and encouraged the old man to continue on the jouey. Then he prayed with him, anointed him with oil, and retued to the church.

Two nights later the daughter called to tell the minister that her daddy had died that afteoon. Did he die in peace? he asked. Yes, and when I left the house about two o' clock, he called me over to his bedside and told me he loved me and kissed me on the cheek. When I got back from the store an hour later, I found him dead. But there was something strange about his death. Apparently, just before Daddy died, he leaned over and rested his head on the chair beside the bed. What do you make of that? The minister wiped a tear from his eye and said, I wish we could all go like that.

[img:width=480&height=480]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1315200235_55_FT0_contentment.jpg[/img]

I know some of you may think that this post is very sad..But it is not. It is uplifting. When Peggy told us of the story behind the 2 chairs, and her cherished trips to Aruba with her husband, I was saddened to think that their final wish didn't play out…And Gods plan is never known to us while we are here in the flesh. I though of this story.
    Peggy, thank you for sharing such an intimate part of your life with us. We chose this Layout not only for it's beauty, but for the glorious photo that has so much of a story to tell. It is your story, and we could only speculate what it is. Each layer could be a different chapter in your lives. The map were your worldly travels. The flowers, were the beautiful visions you both saw. The 2 chairs on the beach…contentment…And in the end, that's all that matters. During those glorious times, you were both content.
    Thank you for the vision in this wonderful LO. It is beautiful.

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

What a great choice. Such a touching story and LO. Congratulations, Peggy!

Snagg1
        Send PM

*clapping* Beautiful choice!!! Congratulations Peggy!

Yay! Congratualtions, Peggy!

Snagg1
          Send PM

Peggy Congrats! and Thanks for Sharing. Excellent Choice.

Congratulations Peggy!!!

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Thank you so very, very much, not just for selecting my layout, but for the wonderful story that you've given us to illustrate it.

***Btw, really not sad, but bittersweet. I've always believed that leaing to dance in the rain (aka living) is to not think of could have or should have or what did not happen, but rather to take and embrace what was and remember the pleasure and (more importantly) contentment and then move on and embrace what will be.
            Somewhere, there is a poem about this that does a much better job of expressing it all…

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

The layering on this layout is just phenomenal! So well deserved. Woo Hoo!

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

Congrats, Peggy! I adore this layout. I love the picture so much, and even more what it means to you. The layers are so beautiful, but there is something just so powerful about the layout as a whole. This really is a work of art.

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Rae, I need to thank you for the inspiration and the push to do this!!!!!

Thank you so very, very much, not just for selecting my layout, but for the wonderful story that you've given us to illustrate it.

***Btw, really not sad, but bittersweet. I've always believed that leaing to dance in the rain (aka living) is to not think of could have or should have or what did not happen, but rather to take and embrace what was and remember the pleasure and (more importantly) contentment and then move on and embrace what will be.
                  Somewhere, there is a poem about this that does a much better job of expressing it all…

I really tried to find a poem to describe contentment…But they didn't do justice to your LO…

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

Congrats Peggy!!!

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

Wonderful choice, congrats Peggy.

Powerful LO Peggy. Thanks for sharing your joys and your sorrows. Congrats

So Beautiful!! Congrats Peggy!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.