Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Photography Lesson 1 Rule of thirds (composition)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  odiammy 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

The rule of thirds is a guideline or principle used to compose visual images in photography, drawing, design and paintings. Basically, if you divide an image into nine equal parts, the most important elements of the composition would be placed along the intersections of these lines. The points of interests do not necessarily have to touch the lines, but having them in the vicinity of the intersections makes for an all-around better image.

By placing your subject along these intersections, you create a certain level of tension and overall visual energy that is sometimes absent from images where the subject of your images is centered in the picture. Take note of the image below. The subject’s face is near one of the intersections.

[img:width=600&height=1200]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1421164631_131_FT0_cd44de72b44f6c2b432ac0c7c685583c_.jpg[/img]

For some photographers, the rule of thirds comes naturally to them, but for those who struggle with it, I have a few suggestions to help you with your compositions:

· Practice – Seriously. If you want to get better at anything, you have to practice. Most digital cameras now come a setting to activate the Rule of Thirds grid in your viewfinder (read your manual to help you figure this out). Use this to help you place your subject on one of intersections.

· Determine the points of interests – As you are composing your shot, ask yourself what the points of interests are in the scene. I suggest shooting a few images where you place the subject at different intersections. You may end up liking your third or fourth shot and you are training yourself to compose your image before you shoot it.

Using the rule of thirds is a great way to instantly improve the quality of your photographs. It will also teach you to see differently and plan the compositions of your images. Approach your photography with a sense of wonder and keep on practicing.

Homework for the next week. Practice taking pictures using the rule of thirds and post your BEST and WORSE shots here so we can all lea from them.

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Thanks, Kim. I seem to have a tendency to simply center my image. AND growing up in the age of snapshots, I still need to remember to close in a lot more. I think that this may help me overcome these bad habits if I practice.

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Hey where are all my people who said they wanted to get better with their cameras?

I am here! I lost my battery charger!! Emergency! I am looking for it everywhere, it is not where it should be, so I have no idea what happened to it. 🙁

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Somehow I missed this post. Practice this weekend

I'm in the middle of construction, which is making me crazy. I'll work on photography when everything is done. The general contractor is hunting ducks in Alabama, and the pool installer was hunting deer in Georgia until Monday, but then it rained all week. Don't ever build anything during hunting season.

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

I'm in the middle of construction, which is making me crazy. I'll work on photography when everything is done. The general contractor is hunting ducks in Alabama, and the pool installer was hunting deer in Georgia until Monday, but then it rained all week. Don't ever build anything during hunting season.

WTH! How you gone go hunting when you are supposed to be working?

This is huntin' country. Gotta get that deer to eat. You'd think we didn't have a Winn Dixie and a 24-hour super Walmart.

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

LOL, Sue!!!!!

Kim, it's been a week somehow. I'll try to get something going; first, I have to take the camera out of the bag, right?

Snagg1
                  Send PM

I'm going to snap some shots and see what happens. Maybe I'll make my new puppy the subject.

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

Oh yes, puppy pix are the best!!!!! At least to me.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Snagg1
                      Send PM

They make awsome subjects usually quite funny too!

Talk about oblivious, all this time when I've been taking pics a green grid would come up when you partially depress the picture taking button (how's that for photographer verbiage ;D ) and I just thought it meant it was in focus !dodge Now I know it's there for proper placement :p I really do lea something everyday!

I had two books of kitten pictures before my cats were 2 months old. They were so cute. Get those puppy pictures while you can.

Snagg1
                        Send PM

[img:width=448&height=299]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1421786581_2893_FT255871_100_8273.jpg[/img]
                        [img:width=448&height=299]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1421786593_2893_FT255871_100_8277.jpg[/img]
                        [img:width=321&height=211]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1421786607_2893_FT255871_100_8280.jpg[/img]
                        [img:width=448&height=299]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1421786620_2893_FT255871_100_8282.jpg[/img]

I think they all stink, and I did nothing as far as editing them. I really have to stop and think about what I'm shooting so it's a nice pic.

craftysprinkles
                        Swirly Scrapper
                          Send PM

In your defense, Paula, dogs move too much! You might want to have your kids sit still and practice! 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.