This topic contains 37 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  odiammy 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

Hi Everyone,
    Time for a new sketch this week. And Beggahuna made another Gorgeous one for us:

feb2012600-1.jpg

And here's my sample card:

sketch1600.jpg

Here's what I did to create the background:

1-5.jpg

I cut a piece of canvas and distressed the edges a little with Ingvild Bolme's distressing tool.

2-5.jpg

Gave the whole piece a coat with brown acrylic paint. (not pretty huh)

3-5.jpg

after it dried I gave it a coat of white glue (which will dry up clear) I believe that for you Elmer's white school glue will do the trick.

4-5.jpg

While the glue was still wet, I got over it with white acrylic paint. Because the glue dries undeeath it will cause the upper layer to shrink a little, and you'll end up with a striped distressed background.
    Love the outcome.

5-4.jpg

I also did these steps for my frame, and when it was all dry I swiped with my (Peeled Paint) Distress inkpad right over it.

6-4.jpg

When I saw Lynne her video (the one from last saturday) a thought came to my head of coloring UTEE with alcohol inks. And YES it worked.

7-4.jpg

I poured some Clear Utee in a glass and added 6 drops Stream alcohol ink and 4 Pearl alcohol ink. Got it mixed together using a popsicle stick. Then spread it out, on a scrap of paper and let it dry for 15 minutes.

8-4.jpg

I stamped my border using Embossing Ink, and used my just colored UTEE. I added 2 layers, but one would have been enough. The second layer made it a little blur looking. (Oh well, I leaed something from that.)

9-3.jpg

I loved the fact of being able to color Clear Utee, so I wanted to make another color.
    This time I used 3 drops of Latte – 3 drops of Ginger and 5 drops of Mushroom and mixed it together.

10-2.jpg

Spread it out to dry.

11-3.jpg

I stamped my scroll/flourish using Embossing Ink, right onto my canvas. Used my new color Utee. It came out a little too greenish.

12-3.jpg

My next scroll/flourish I stamped on cardstock using Distress ink (Gathered Twigs) and used my colored Utee over that, I was very happy with the result, and cut out my image.

13-3.jpg

I also stamped a little butterfly on cardstock, using Embossing ink. The top of the butterfly I covered with the blue Utee and the bottom with the brown.
    After I heatsetted it and let it cool, I ran over it with my ink blending tool, using Distress ink (Brushed Corduroy) The distress ink blended beautifully into the spots where the Utee didn't stick. Left me with this marbled, little butterfly.

14-3.jpg

I hand cut 2 hearts, and dressed them up a little.

15-2.jpg

I hand cut some leaves from fabric and colored them with Peeled Paint Distress Ink.

Now that I had all my embellies ready I started layering them on my card.

16-2.jpg

I started with my frame. Glued it down with hot glue.

17-2.jpg

placed my strip of paper and the hearts.

18-2.jpg

I added my leaves and scroll and on top 2 flowers.

19-1.jpg

On the top of my card I added another flower.

20-1.jpg

Placed my butterfly and gave it a body using some tiney pearls. (left over from a Prima flourish)
    and I was done.

I hope you like this tutorial.

****************************************************************************************

Alright, here are the rules for this week:

Create a card/tag after this lovely sketch

Use heat embossing on your card. And I would love to see your own colored UTEE.

****************************************************************************************

I can't wait to see your cards or tags.

Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Wow Paulien. Love all the technique, and especially the striped effect. Beautiful sketch AND card!

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

OMG Paulien, you're so flippin talented!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

OMG Paulien, you're so flippin talented!!

I agree!!!!

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Wow, Paulien this is so cool – I don't know how you come up with these cool ideas, the sign of a true artist!

Gorgeous card! Love the colored UTEE technique! I am hoping to have time to work on cards next week!

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Wow that is fantastic Paulien, so many techniques. Love the idea for colouring the UTEE. Did you really cut out that flourish???? How did you manage that without the UTEE cracking? I hope to get started on some of the cards soon, I just seem to have so many other projects to complete – but I'm not complaining!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

So pretty Paulien.

Wow that is fantastic Paulien, so many techniques. Love the idea for colouring the UTEE. Did you really cut out that flourish???? How did you manage that without the UTEE cracking? I hope to get started on some of the cards soon, I just seem to have so many other projects to complete – but I'm not complaining!

Jennie, I should clear that…

Stamp your flourish on cardstock – cut it out – press your cut out image onto your embossing pad and then cover it with colored Utee.

I hope this helps.

MUCH BETTER – i'm thinking – she CUT THAT OUT???? yeah, not up to that caliber!!

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Beautiful card! I love the tip about the glue and paint; I didn't know that! I wonder if coloring white UTEE would work as well and just give an opaque look.

I think you will get the same result Jackie. I don't know for sure, cause I only have the clear Utee.

Haha Shell….. NSM

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

Paulien…. love, love, love the card… and WOWOWOWOW, the idea to color the UTEE!!! Can't wait to try it!!!

It really is fun to color Utee. I'm hoping to get some time this week to play a little more. I was thinking about a flower using multiple colors on….

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

I added about 12 drops of the Pearl to about 2 Tbsp of UTEE and it remained clear 🙁
                      But I'm having fun with the colors!!!!!! Thanks again, Paulien, for coming up with this!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.