Home Forums Tutorials, Tips, Tricks and Techniques Tips, Tricks & Techniques Molding paste vs Texture paste

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  odiammy 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Hey you experts – Are molding paste and texture paste the same thing? I am confused. I want whatever will provide maximum texture.

Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

I was wondering that also!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

LisaV works with molding paste. She may know. Otherwise i am calling the art store in my town.

Here are two things I use….Texture magic…which is more like a paint…it comes out of a tube….
      Modeling paste is thicker..needs a palette knife of something to spread it on… Here are some photos…might help

Modeling paste I just put on a coat…and then take off what I don't want. The texture paint…I put it where I want it…kind of deal…
      [img:width=300&height=283]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1295366075_409_FT64804_img_2699-1.jpg[/img]

[img:width=300&height=264]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1295366097_409_FT64804_img_2700-1.jpg[/img]

[img:width=279&height=300]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1295366116_409_FT64804_img_2701-1.jpg[/img]

hmmmm, I bought the modeling paste that says flexible – to be used on soft or felxible surfaces.

I also have tiny pallete knives. I gues I will try this and see if it is what I desire.

Heather, where do you buy texture Magic? Where Gesso's are located?

hmmmm, I bought the modeling paste that says flexible – to be used on soft or felxible surfaces.

I also have tiny pallete knives. I gues I will try this and see if it is what I desire.

Texture magic you will find in the stencil aisle at Michaels….different colors…hanging on the wall.
      Gesso…you will find also at Michaels…or Joanns….in the Fine arts department. Where ever they have the oil paints and water colors. Not normally in the acrylic paint aisle.
      It is just a thicker paint..to cover canvas with….to give some tooth for your paints.

I am sure you will have fun with the flexible modeling paste!

Snagg1
        Send PM

The texture paste I have is thicker than the molding paste. When I go home at lunch I'll dig them out and come back and answer.

honestly I think they can be used just about the exact same. The texture paste is thicker than the modeling paste which usually affects drying time mostly. Other than that you can do everything with modeling paste that you can do with texture paste.
        ie: Mix with acrylic paint, create texture by sculpting in while wet, build up layers and sand down layers, Stamp in them to create texture (clean stamps well immediately)

Thanks Christy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.