This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Snagg1
      Send PM

Hello Swirlers! I've been making molds and resin pieces and thought I'd show a few. Last summer I went to an art retreat and part of one of the classes I took we leaed some basic molding techniques to use with Sculpey III clay. I bought the stuff but never tried it again. When I got the tech kit for December I decided it was a sign to give it a try. I have a stash of old broken bits and pieces of jewelry and other things I like to use on cards and layouts and mixed media pieces so I picked a few and had an afteoon of molding mania! Yesterday I made a batch of resin and poured it into the molds. Here are a few of the pieces:

If you are still shy about resin you can also fill your molds with hot glue from a hot glue gun but you have to work really quick. The second pic is of a piece I made using hot glue and next to it is the resin piece I haven't painted yet.

A couple of things I leaed: make sure when you make your mold that your piece is pushed into the clay as level as possible. You will notice on one piece that I missed one edge of the detail on the mold and my resin won't stay in that part. If you push your piece to far into the mold and it makes a pinhole just put some magic tape over the hole and you can still use it for making a resin piece. Don't use more mold clay than you need for the piece you are molding.

I've got another batch of items I'm going to mold! yeehaw!
      [img:width=500&height=375]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1357587654_2593_FT0_resin_pieces_2013-01-06_005_500x375.jpg[/img]
      [img:width=500&height=374]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1357587654_2593_FT0_resin_pieces_2013-01-06_008_500x374.jpg[/img]

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Oh No you rascal!!! Now I want molding putty and resin!!! Very cool, love the one with hot glue…how cute is that!!!! And the last one on the top batch is so pretty…

Snagg1
          Send PM

Here's a pic of another piece I made using hot glue–I used it on a layout I just posted in the gallery.

[img:width=486&height=500]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1357589017_2593_FT191216_resin_pieces_2013-01-06_002_486x500.jpg[/img]

Fantastic, Patty!

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

(had to go make lunch) Wanted to ask how you make molds with sculpey, I have tons of that and some really pretty vintage jewelry from my Mother.

Barbara

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Here's a pic of another piece I made using hot glue–I used it on a layout I just posted in the gallery.

[img:width=486&height=500]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1357589017_2593_FT191216_resin_pieces_2013-01-06_002_486x500.jpg[/img]

Cool…

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Wow, they came out really great!

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Fantastic, Patty!!! Thanks for the tips.

Snagg1
                    Send PM

(had to go make lunch) Wanted to ask how you make molds with sculpey, I have tons of that and some really pretty vintage jewelry from my Mother.

Barbara

Hey Barbara–I wrote that in a confusing way–you don't make the molds out of Sculpey you put the Sculpey in the molds you've made. There are however Sculpey moulds/molds you can buy at Michaels–lots of choices. Is it moulds or molds?? Neither one looks right to me right now. 😮

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

That little jewel piece is awesome honey!!! I love to see what u come up with. I'm playing vicariously through you! Haha

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

Patty these are wonderful!!

Krissy
                        Krissy
                        Swirly Admin
                          Send PM

I'm digging through a box of bits and pieces of old vintage jewelry and trinkets that my sister found on her travels among the local estate sales. I think that several pieces have resin mold potential – but I'll be hanged if I can FIND the stuff locally.

What exactly do I need to make these beauties happen?

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
                          Swirly Scrapper
                            Send PM

[quote]

Barbara

Hey Barbara–I wrote that in a confusing way–you don't make the molds out of Sculpey you put the Sculpey in the molds you've made. There are however Sculpey moulds/molds you can buy at Michaels–lots of choices. Is it moulds or molds?? Neither one looks right to me right now. 😮
                            [/quote]

Da! Guess I'll have to get Amazing! I did try it yesterday. I left the sculpey soft, made the impression and put in hot glue. I did work but it was a pain to get the sculpey off…Then I baked the sculpey with the impression, put sculpey in that, took it out and baked it…that tued out better. Probably isn't good to have sculpey near photos though..

craftysprinkles
                            Swirly Scrapper
                              Send PM

I'm digging through a box of bits and pieces of old vintage jewelry and trinkets that my sister found on her travels among the local estate sales. I think that several pieces have resin mold potential – but I'll be hanged if I can FIND the stuff locally.

What exactly do I need to make these beauties happen?

Hi Pat, It is called Amazing…check out the December Technique Video. Thats why I want it too…vintage jewelry…OOh La La!

Barbara

Krissy
                              Krissy
                              Swirly Admin
                                Send PM

Patty, they came out amazing!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.