Home Forums Scrap Chat Ask the Designers Must haves?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Not sure if this has been asked but what are the must haves staples every crafter should have? I see that Gesso is one and modge podge. How about some other items whether they are inks, glues, paints etc.

Thanks

Michelle P.

Snagg1
        Send PM

For me: StazOn inks, PVA and FabriTac glues, bone folder

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

What is PVA?

Thanks

Michelle P

A good paper trimmer, although it may take a couple models to find the right one for you. I went through several before settling on a Tonic guillotine-style one for myself.

A good pair of scissors is also a must-have. My go-to pair are Fiskars ones that I bought as a teenager; they fit my hand perfectly and work for almost everything.

A lot of the replies will likely be specific based on that scrapper's preferred style. My best suggestion woulf be to find some scrappers in your area and try out different tools and products to get a feel for what you will use. You can spend thousands of dollars on tools and such only to find that you wouldn't use them and shouldn't have bought them. Watch out for fads or trends that don't appeal to you; if you won't use it don't buy it is a good rule of thumb. ;) The nice thing about a Swirly kit is that you get things that you might not have picked up on your own, and you may discover a new love (or two or three…)

Snagg1
            Send PM

Hi Michelle–the PVA stands for polyvinyl acetate–I had to look it up. I leaed about it when I was doing altered books. It is used in book blnding.

For me – a great paper cutter, good scissors, good glue (like Helmar) and my Zutter distress-it-all tool. I love punches too but most of my work is done with basic tools other than the electronic distressing tool. Oh and I am a flower and chipboard freak (but those are not tool essentials, LOL).

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

I love my cricut paper trimmer. The swing arm comes down guillotine style so you don't have the slop like the Fiskars tends to have. Guillotine trimmers are choppers and are really great when you have to lop it off. I love my tonic but not for intricate work. So….#1 paper trimmer

scissors – Fiskars has a great pair of ergonomic scissors. You squeeze instead of pulling like normal scissors so your hand doesn't tire and you have much more control. Highly recommend them. Cutter Bee puts out a great little pair of detail scissors too. I've had others but those are the 2 best…in my opinion. so #2 scisssors

#3 adhesive. If you go with liquid adhesive it won't dry out on you and cause your embellies to pop off the page. There are lots of opinions and we all have tons of glues. My personal go to's are Tombo (triangle bottle with green lid) and fabritac. LOVE that stuff…so #3 adhesive

#4 ink in brown and black. If you go with Staz ON it is alcohol based (I think) so it's not water soluble…meaning mod podge and gesso and paint won't make it run. If you are just starting out it's a really good one to have. Get brown and black to start and you can branch out from there.

#5 non stick craft mat. You can color on it, heat it, drip on it, beat it…nothing penatrates it. They were originally covers for the bottom of ovens. They are so much cheaper if you can find some at restaurant supply stores.

#6 ruler. I have a few but I would recommend the TH clear centering ruler. Nice and sturdy to use for tearing paper, it centers, you can see through it, it measures…great ruler to start with.

#1 paper trimmer
              #2 scissors
              #3 adhesive
              #4 black and brown ink
              #5 craft mat
              #6 ruler

If you have all these things and you get the swirly kits…you'll be golden.

Girls…did I miss anything?

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

*A heat tool* I think every crafter should own one.
              I have a not so fancy one, but it does it's job for like 8 yeas now. I would love to get me the Ranger (silent) one.
              *Ingvild Bolme's Distress tool* can't live with out it.
              *Ingvild Bolme's Craft knife*
              *Cutting mat*

Andie…. I didn't know that about the Non Stick Craft Mat!
              These things are so pricey here in the Netherlands. It's crazy. Do you happen to have a link where you can get that stuff?

I think that aside from the absolute BASICS, a list of must haves varies by person.

Of course you have to have cardstock, paper, scissors, trimmer, adhesive and a good pen.

But pretty much anything else would be based on how you scrap.

Like, I have never used a ruler for scrapping, but Andie considers it essential. And..PVA?! I don't even know what it is, so definitely not essential for me!

Personally, good inks can really change a page, so I use several, but the most used are Distress ink, Archival ink and StazOn. Since they all use different bases, ie, water, oil, alcohol, they are used for different purposes.

In kind, a craft mat is also something I couldn't scrap without. Along with a heat gun.

I have an ANCIENT Cricut trimmer. Love it. Never even changed the blade.

I love love love my Ingvild Bolme tools, the distresser and the BIG cutting mat. I use them all the time. 🙂

Also, my must haves would include a variety of stamps and embossing powders and mists out the ying-yang!

I think that aside from the absolute BASICS, a list of must haves varies by person.

Of course you have to have cardstock, paper, scissors, trimmer, adhesive and a good pen.

But pretty much anything else would be based on how you scrap.

Like, I have never used a ruler for scrapping, but Andie considers it essential. And..PVA?! I don't even know what it is, so definitely not essential for me!

Personally, good inks can really change a page, so I use several, but the most used are Distress ink, Archival ink and StazOn. Since they all use different bases, ie, water, oil, alcohol, they are used for different purposes.

In kind, a craft mat is also something I couldn't scrap without. Along with a heat gun.

I have an ANCIENT Cricut trimmer. Love it. Never even changed the blade.

I love love love my Ingvild Bolme tools, the distresser and the BIG cutting mat. I use them all the time. 🙂

Also, my must haves would include a variety of stamps and embossing powders and mists out the ying-yang!

You see and I am the complete opposite of this – so yes it 100% depends on your scrap style… that will determine your essential needs. I prefer chipboard to a die cut machine, I prefer electronic distressing (seeing the white core) to inking the paper edges, I am not a messy scrapper so no need for mists but I love to make flowers and love specific my punches that will cut the smallest scraps of paper. I agree with the Ingvild tools though – especially if you are left-handed. Oh and I consider gelatos an essential for their versatility and won't dry out or clog a mist bottle. Oh and OVA is a type of glue – great for OTP projects.

I love me some chippies, but with my Cameo, I have been less enthused about buying chipboard.

There are so many different ways to create, it is really hard to say what is essential besides the obvious basics! 🙂

OVA…OOHHHH! LOL

ooops PVA is glue, LMAO!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Andie…. I didn't know that about the Non Stick Craft Mat!
                These things are so pricey here in the Netherlands. It's crazy. Do you happen to have a link where you can get that stuff?

I don't have an online store but…I have a restaurant supply store that sells them in GIANT rolls. I was gonna get some and cut to sell in my Etsy store. I'll ship ya one hunny!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Snagg1
                  Send PM

OMG where do I start? Molding paste, paper distresser, gesso, stamps, templates, mists, paints, liquid pearls……….I'm sure there is more. LOL

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

Actually, for a beginner, I'd say a good pair of small scissors (I love my EK Success Honeybees), a larger pair of scissors (the cheap ones from the stationary section of you supermarket are fine), a ruler and a craft knife (or exacto) are all you really need until you find out how you like to scrap. That's a minimum of expense and you can add on here and there as you discover the tools that YOU need.

After that, well, Michelle, you've fallen in with a group of Savage Enablers 🙂
                    My absolutely must haves are:
                    heating tool
                    non-stick craft mat
                    tweezers
                    distress tool (I love my Ingvild Bolme)
                    craft knife (ditto)
                    Tim Holtz scissors
                    paper trimmer
                    circle cutter (I love the Kreaxions, super cheap and the best one ever)
                    inks pads in black and brown
                    stamps
                    stencils/masks
                    gesso, molding paste
                    mists
                    paints

Oh, and paper, flowers and trinkets and such; good thing that Krissy packs our kits to the point of bursting!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.