Home Forums Scrap Chat General Stuff Online backup?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GlitterGirl 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Do any of you use an online backup system? If so, who do you use? I think its a great idea cause if you have a fire or a roobbery, most likely you are going to lose your backups,exteal HD's etc unless you store them outside of your home.

We used Mozy but dh had significant issues, basically screwed up his computer and it took more than 2 weeks for Mozy to work thru the problems with him and even then his computer wasn't ever completely restored. So I cancelled Mozy but I still think I want an online backup in addition to the other backups I have. Any suggestions?

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Hmmm I'm not really comfortable with my whole computer system being backed up out of my control. You could keep a hard drive in a fire proof safe but I do not worry about that. Maybe I should but I don't.

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I keep my exteal drive in a air-tight, fire-proof safe…. I'm not comfortable with anyone else having access to my stuff…. ;)

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Hubby is not comfortable with others having access to our stuff. So, I copy all my pictures to DVD's. We make 2 copies, one for home and one for the safe deposit box.

After having such a lousy time with my computer viruses, I like the idea of two backups…..exteal hard drive at home and one in the lock box at the bank. I'll definitely be more diligent at backing up stuff now.

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Take it from me – people can and WILL get your information if you put it out there. We've had the Swirlydoos credit card compromised FOUR TIMES in the past two years! FRIGGIN' CROOKS!

Back up to an exteal HD and put that sucker in a small fire resistant safe. Then put that small safe inside a great big safe! (that's what we do anyway) lol. Double the protection KWIM?

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Well here's the thing – if I keep a backup out of my house, how often will it get backed up? Probably not very often. We do have a small fire safe and if the house is broken into, good chance that would get stolen so I am not comfortable with having the only backup being in my home and I know that away from my house, the backup would be very old soon. If I worked, definitely keeping a backup at the office would work but I don't so …. I know that I must have a backup system that is easy, otherwise I won't keep it up to date.

Backup systems are encrypted so that they are quite secure but of course there are some excellent hackers out there. I think the chances off someone accessing my backup online are about even with chances of someone breaking into my home or stealing my mail. BTW, mail theft is one of the big ways that identity theft occurs. I pay all my bills online and have been doing my banking online for probably 6 years or more. I've been shopping online forever. I've never had a problem with anything. Knock on wood b/c I know it does happen and I have been lucky. We are extremely careful about virus protection and keeping everything up to date and I think that has helped. I just saw that my inteet/telephone provider is offerring an online backup so I think I will check that out.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

I had all sorts of inteet security. Norton didn't catch a think evidentially. I did do a really dumb thing thinking it was perfectly ok when I first got the virus off Facebook. I connected to iyogi.net and let the folks there take control of my computer . Remember, I thought I was engaged he had spent so much time with me? Well, I had nothing but bad news after that. Beware! Eventhough it was from a Microsoft site, I shouldn't have done it. I don't know what the answer is….???
              Let me know what site you think is secure. I tried Iron Mountain once, and my computer didn't like it. Some of my programs quit running.

I just keep my hard drive accessible and plug it into my computer once or twice a week. It's really not that hard.
              I don't worry about break in's where I live. It would be very difficult for someone to break in to my house. I also don't worry about fires. My main conce is just having my hard drive on my computer die and with that all my data.
              I have a MAC so viruses are really not an issue. Although I hear there are some viruses out there for MACs. I have had a MAC for 11 years and have never had a virus.

I really wish I didn't have so much invested in my pc's..I would definitely go MAC…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.