Home Forums Tutorials, Tips, Tricks and Techniques Tips, Tricks & Techniques Postage Stamp Paper Background

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  odiammy 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I was inspired by Spellbinders new Postage Stamp Nesting Dies. They are so cute!! I wanted to create a larger scale for background paper for a 12 x 12 inch layout. You know how I love Diecut papers. Then I noticed Gabrielle Pollaco ( http://gabriellepollacco.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-favourite-embellies-give-away.html%5Burl url=hyperlink url][/url]
    had matted her Webster Postage Stamp Die Cut paper. I love the effect when matted.This one would be hard to make a template because the ready made postage edge papers are 12 x 12, so they cant be matted unless you piece it like Gabi explains how she does it. So I devised a way to do it so that you can create any size you wish and still have a 12 x 12 layout if you cut down your patte paper. Voila!!
    So here is my tute on creating the look without having to piece your mat.

Product List:

1 piece of 12 x 12 patteed paper
    1 piece of 12 x 12 solid card stock in a coordinating color
    Paper trimmer or (ruler and craft knife)
    small cutting scissors
    marking pen or pencil
    1/2 inch circle punch
    adhesive of your choice. I use my ATG Gun

[img:width=542&height=950]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1314986064_55_FT0_postage_stamp_background__paper_products_list.jpg[/img]

[img:width=599&height=398]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1314986064_55_FT0_dsc_4375_.jpg[/img]

If you are going to do a 12 x 12 layout, then cut your patteed paper 1/4 inch smaller around than your solid card stock. So cut it down to 11 1/2 x 11 1/2. That will give you a 1/4 inch mat border.Leave your card stock 12 x 12.

[img:width=600&height=903]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1314986064_55_FT0_dsc_4378_.jpg[/img]

Tu your patte paper over to the wrong side and starting in the middle of the edge, mark a small dot. Then mark a dot in 1 inch increments almost to the edge. You can see there is room for another dot, but you don't want to go to the end. There is about 1 1.2 inches between the last dot and the coer end.

[img:width=599&height=398]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1314986064_55_FT0_dsc_4379_.jpg[/img]

I tued my circle punch over and using permanent marker, marked 4 lines inside my punch to divide into quarters, That made it easy to measure the semi circles I cut out easily. Line up your marks and punch half circles out. Move to the next dot, and continue punching all around the page until all the dots are punched.

[img:width=600&height=597]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1314986064_55_FT0_dsc_4380_.jpg[/img]

Adhere your patte paper over your solid card stock. Using your scissors, hand cut inside the punched circles,1/4 inch away from the edges of the half circles.

[img:width=600&height=601]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1314986064_55_FT0_dsc_4381_.jpg[/img]

Your page should look like this. A beautiful large postage stamp.

[img:width=600&height=587]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1314986064_55_FT0_dsc_4382_.jpg[/img]

Now, go forth and scrap it!!

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

Awesome, Lisa! I will definitely use this!!

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Very cool and easy!! TFS, Lisa!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Snagg1
          Send PM

You are awesome! love it!

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Oh, Lisa, what a great idea!!!!! Love it!!!!
            (NEED a 1/2 punch…)

lol…. hey this is awesome and I for sure will try it!!! Thanks Lisa…

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

(NEED a 1/2 punch…)

Me too. I thought I had one, but I remembered that it is one inch.

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

Great idea. Looks like it will go really well with the PP in the September kit. Looking forward to trying it.

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

[quote]
                  (NEED a 1/2 punch…)

Me too. I thought I had one, but I remembered that it is one inch.
                  [/quote]

Ditto 🙁 ( ;D

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

OMG, you just jumped inside my head! I remember seeing that very layout on Gabrielle's blog and wondering how she got that postage stamp. You are a genius!

OMG, you just jumped inside my head! I remember seeing that very layout on Gabrielle's blog and wondering how she got that postage stamp. You are a genius!

I know Amber, I was wondering as well, then I realized that it was already die cut. I went to Websters site and saw that a few of their lines had the same diecut design…That's when the ideas started swirling in my head. Because I wanted that design on any patte paper I wanted. I started experimenting with my 1 inch circle punch..To big, I thought the 1/2 inch one was to small until I saw the Websters paper in real life. Yup, 1/2 inch was the perfect size. I grabbed my 1/2 inch circle punch and punched away!! That's how ideas are bo. Sometimes I see something and just try to kick it up a notch, and end up with something else…I love my wandering mind sometimes…

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

Hey, Lisa, I love your wandering mind, too!!!!! !heart

craftysprinkles
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

Lisa, you are awesome, and i love you. I just wanted to say that!

Wow Lisa, we always benefit from your wandering mind.
                        Whatever became of your blog book? Is it something people can purchase?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.