Home Forums Scrap Chat Scrappy Spaces Scrap Room Question

This topic contains 18 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  GlitterGirl 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Snagg1
      Send PM

Here is my dilemma:  As many of you know, I share my scrap space with my bedroom.  It has its pros and cons.  It is a relatively small space in a big room, but I have squeezed as much scrappy space out of it as I can.  When I am up here, I am removed from the busyness that is going on downstairs.  I have a great view through a sliding glass door that overlooks our patio and the brook.  I can open up the door in warmer weather and hear nothing but the rushing water and birds.  But, I have no real wall space because of knee walls.

I do have 1 option.  We have a pass through room.  It used to be our old dining room before we did our kitchen reno.  Here is the set up:

Our stairs are open to the room, which means I have a wall that goes from non-existent to ceiling height at a diagonal.  I can not use the space undeeath the stairs because behind the wall are the stairs going to a dirt basement.  Then from that coer I have maybe a 4 foot wall that then opens up into a 6 foot opening going into my living room.  On the opposite wall is a massive picture window looking down to the road.  Absolutely no wall space.  I have floor space undeeath it (avoiding the heat vent) that goes up about 3 feet.  The wall ajoining that has a closet (which I can't use because we need it for storage).  There is a decent wall between the closet and the bathroom door, which also ajoins the door going into my kitchen.  Overall the room is probably 10×10-ish. 

This is a pass through room:  you need to get upstairs or down….here you come; you need to use the bathroom, there it is.  You need to get from the far end of the living room to the kitchen or bathroom and here you come.  I would loose some natural light and I wouldn't have the view, but with the french doors and all of the windows we have downstairs, I would still be able to hear the brook. It moves pretty good. LOL  I would now be down in the thick of things and there would be traffic coming through.  Also, my DH's 3 guitars hang in there.

I've toyed around with the idea of going to a Mister Seconds or someplace like that and looking for cabinets and counter top to finish out the room.  The other problem is that nothing is level in this house because of it's age.  I would love to have an island to work on, but I don't think I have enough space.

So, here is my question:  would you give up being out of the way, the natural light and view, for possibly more space but you would be in the middle of everything? 

Oh, and the other thing that room would give me is the ability to work whenever I wanted.  My DH has to be to work at a really early time which means he is in bed at like 7:30.  Ugh.

I'm really just not sure I want to give up being out of the way for more space and convenience?  Dunno.

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Lisa, the minute you said bedroom I thought limited time along with limited space. So. Question #1 is a biggie: does the wonderful view outweigh those drawbacks?
        If you had a larger family, I would say that the pass-through aspect is a drawback, but we're talking about your DH and Syd, how bad can that be? Or is this going to be a disadvantage whenever you have company?
        As you know, I have basically re-purposed the dining room. Except for the table and chairs, everything else has been moved into the kitchen. I do get the afteoon light, but it's a small window overlooking a parking lot. The good thing is that I live on the second floor, so my view is actually the other L to this building and (the good thing) trees…
        I had considered moving all to my bedroom and decided against it because I would have been more isolated. I can concentrate better when it is not totally absolutely quiet. You may need that, though, something else to consider…

Not much help here, just a few things to think about…

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Oh Lisa, what a dilemma! Believe it or not, I was actually initially leaning toward staying in your current space because of all of the ambiance until I found out that DH goes to bed at 7:30. You said this space was big, however; no wall space. Is there room to build a wall with cubbies?

[img:width=400&height=400]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1326036724_531_FT134369_expedit-bookcase__0092703_pe229404_s4.jpg[/img]

If you do decide to use the other space, I will give you some other ideas on how to divide a room. I know you mentioned not level so maybe curtains would be an option. This would also maybe give you a more private feel in either area.

[img:width=400&height=267]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1326036985_531_FT134369_bed-divided-room.jpg[/img]
          [img:width=195&height=240]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1326036986_531_FT134369_images-2-1.jpg[/img]
          [img:width=205&height=246]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1326036986_531_FT134369_images-1-1.jpg[/img]
          [img:width=240&height=180]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1326036986_531_FT134369_images-3.jpg[/img]

If you do take the new space I know you mentioned DH has guitars hanging on the wall. I'd say you take over the wall space and make DH get a guitar stand and put his guitars where your scrap stuff used to be…

[img:width=220&height=220]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1326037172_531_FT134369_unnamed.jpg[/img]

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

And 10 x 10 is bigger than you think. That's literally the size of my space and look how much crap I fit in there! I think if it were me, I'd probably enclose myself in cubbies…ha!

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Lisa, another question. I know you mentioned that there is a closet that you need for storage and wouldn't be able to use if for scrappy stuff. Is it possible to put a storage armoire in your bedroom where your old scrappy stuff used to be to house said items? That would be awesome! Just a thought if you decide to take over that space…

Oh, Lisa….you do have a dilemma! I am for the solitude that I get when I scrap. I don't want to be in the midst of everything…..I'm an only child, and I NEED my alone time!!
              However…having to close up shop at 7:30 would be a drag. I like the idea of being enclosed by cubbies. I like a cozy feeling space. I'm really no help!

I would really like to have those Ikea shelves!!! I thought about putting an ad on Craig's List to see if I could find some used ones…but was afraid to get a psycho response!

Snagg1
                Send PM

Lisa, the minute you said bedroom I thought limited time along with limited space. So. Question #1 is a biggie: does the wonderful view outweigh those drawbacks? If you had a larger family, I would say that the pass-through aspect is a drawback, but we're talking about your DH and Syd, how bad can that be? Or is this going to be a disadvantage whenever you have company? As you know, I have basically re-purposed the dining room. Except for the table and chairs, everything else has been moved into the kitchen. I do get the afteoon light, but it's a small window overlooking a parking lot. The good thing is that I live on the second floor, so my view is actually the other L to this building and (the good thing) trees… I had considered moving all to my bedroom and decided against it because I would have been more isolated. I can concentrate better when it is not totally absolutely quiet. You may need that, though, something else to consider… Not much help here, just a few things to think about…

My parents come over on Sundays for a few hours to visit with Syd.  They came upstairs to see what I was working on and the first thing my Dad says is wow, what a view.  It had snowed this moing so there was a fresh coat on the ground and the branches and the brook was running with ice along the sides.  It was really pretty.

Company coming over is an issue.  I don't want people/kids to think they can just paw through things because it is in a common area.  I don't mind if I'm in there, its when I'm not.

Snagg1
                  Send PM

Oh Lisa, what a dilemma! Believe it or not, I was actually initially leaning toward staying in your current space because of all of the ambiance until I found out that DH goes to bed at 7:30. You said this space was big, however; no wall space. Is there room to build a wall with cubbies?
                  [img:width=400&height=400]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1326036724_531_FT134369_expedit-bookcase__0092703_pe229404_s4.jpg[/img] If you do decide to use the other space, I will give you some other ideas on how to divide a room. I know you mentioned not level so maybe curtains would be an option. This would also maybe give you a more private feel in either area.
                  [img:width=400&height=267]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1326036985_531_FT134369_bed-divided-room.jpg[/img]
                  [img:width=195&height=240]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1326036986_531_FT134369_images-2-1.jpg[/img]
                  [img:width=205&height=246]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1326036986_531_FT134369_images-1-1.jpg[/img]
                  [img:width=240&height=180]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1326036986_531_FT134369_images-3.jpg[/img] If you do take the new space I know you mentioned DH has guitars hanging on the wall. I'd say you take over the wall space and make DH get a guitar stand and put his guitars where your scrap stuff used to be…
                  [img:width=220&height=220]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1326037172_531_FT134369_unnamed.jpg[/img]

I can't really build anything because of the height of the walls.  Think of a Cape Cod style house.  The ceilings come down at an angle and then meet a wall.  The wall comes up about 40' and then the ceiling meets it.   You can't walk straight to the wall without hitting your head.

I can't use a room divider, again because of the walls, and because it would block all of the light from the sliding glass door to the rest of the bedroom.  I also can't divide the other room because people walk through there to get to other rooms.  The old dining room used to have a half wall the closed it off from the living room.  Shortly after we moved in we tore it out.  We like to have a more open floor plan; where you can move easily between rooms.  The idea of putting up dividers doesn't really appeal to me.  Sorry. 🙁   But thanks for brainstorming with me.

Snagg1
                    Send PM

Oh, the guitars. LOL He has a floor stand, and it has guitars in it. I could keep two of them hanging, it is the 3rd that is a problem. He also has amps. If I were to move them upstairs it would be an epic battle. LOL As it is I got the hairy eyeball when I mentioned what I was thinking about.

Snagg1
                      Send PM

And 10 x 10 is bigger than you think. That's literally the size of my space and look how much crap I fit in there! I think if it were me, I'd probably enclose myself in cubbies…ha!

I think I am going to have to try and take pictures for you so you understand.  This isn't a room, per se.  I don't have 4 walls.  This is the real challenge of this room.  I have niches and I have to ask myself if I am really ending up with more space. 

Snagg1
                        Send PM

Lisa, another question. I know you mentioned that there is a closet that you need for storage and wouldn't be able to use if for scrappy stuff. Is it possible to put a storage armoire in your bedroom where your old scrappy stuff used to be to house said items? That would be awesome! Just a thought if you decide to take over that space…

I don't have the wall and ceiling height upstairs for an armoir.  Not only that, but the fuiture I have in that room now will have to come upstairs as my craft stuff comes down.

I've cleaned out the closet a few times, and think I might be able to move the majority of it to an upstairs hallway closet, but not all of it.  I've been thinking about the closets and if I could pull that off.  Not sure.

If there is one thing I can tell you, it is that I have leanred how to squeeze nearly every bit of space out of this house.  We have made some of our fuiture by hand because we couldn't find anything to fit the spaces we have.  Old houses are not all there are cracked up to be. LOL

Snagg1
                          Send PM

Oh, Lisa….you do have a dilemma! I am for the solitude that I get when I scrap. I don't want to be in the midst of everything…..I'm an only child, and I NEED my alone time!! However…having to close up shop at 7:30 would be a drag. I like the idea of being enclosed by cubbies. I like a cozy feeling space. I'm really no help! I would really like to have those Ikea shelves!!! I thought about putting an ad on Craig's List to see if I could find some used ones…but was afraid to get a psycho response!

LOL!  I don't like to be closed in. I need open,bright spaces.  I think I may need to stay where I am.  I like being away from everything.  I can tu on the TV and listen to what I want to, or I can plug my lappy in to my awesome speakers and crank the tunes.  I have awesome natural light and a great view.  If I want I can tu everything off and just listen to the water.  That all adds to my creative sanity.  LOL

Well, thanks for helping me talk through this.  I think I will stay put and make the best of it for now.  🙂

You guys rock!!

How about a ScrapBox!!! Even though I have a room, I am seriously thinking of purchasing one. My cabinet guy can redo the front to make it more decorative. Using decorative crown and oamental moldings. I'm excited!! You close it and it looks like a piece of fuiture. Unless you cant because of the walls.

[img:width=500&height=371]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1326075423_55_FT134369_513c63kogvl.jpg[/img]
                          [img:width=540&height=390]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1326075423_55_FT134369_1005craftcloset1.jpg[/img]

Oh never mind, I just read your last post…Damn…

Snagg1
                            Send PM

Looks like you already decided to stay put. My work area is away from my scraproom. In my case its because I have to know where my DD Karrah is. Sitting in the midst of things is what I have to do if I want to scrap. The one advantage is I know whats going on. I am not sure if you want to set up a temporary space that you use from time to time. Folding table or a small desk. Child care supply store also carry shelving that is low but can be closed. If you have a carpenter maybe you can have a mini scrapbox built. Or if you have space on your propery a scraphouse.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.