Home Forums Scrap Chat Challenges Sept SGC Challenge ~~~ Mix It Up ~~~ And the winner is…

This topic contains 122 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 124 total)
  • Author

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

From Wikipedia: Mixed media, in visual art, refers to an artwork in the making of which more than one medium has been employed.

Mixed media tends to refer to a work of visual art that combines various traditionally distinct visual art media. For example, a work on canvas that combines paint, ink, and collage could properly be called a mixed media work.

So many of the Swirly tutorials and discussions lately have focused on mixed media, goop, misting, masking and all sorts of fun things, and I now want to challenge all of my Savage Sisters to show us all what you can do!!!

Because of the “anything goes” nature of mixed media, there aren’t too many rules to follow:

• Collage, paint, mist, ink, gesso, molding paste, found objects, rub-ons, stamping, doodling: these are just a sampling of the different mediums and techniques that you can use. I am asking that you use at least three in order to qualify.

• Some of the things that you may use (such as gesso, molding paste, and acrylics) are not available through Swirlydoos. However, all of the rest of your “ingredients” must be mostly Swirly: at least 50% must come from past or present kits or from the Swirlydoos Store.

• Last date to post will be Sunday, September 30. Voting will start on October 1.

And now for some twists and suggestions, strictly for fun:

• Canvas is cheap. We’re not painting with oils, we’re simply using it as a sturdy base to make it easier to pile on our goop. Grab some coupons and visit your nearest big box crafts store.
      • While you’re there, pick up some gesso, molding paste and whatever else catches your eye. You’ll find them near the canvas display. Once you start using these products, you’ll wonder what you ever did without them.
      • Next, walk around the store until you find the cheap craft acrylic paints, like the ones made by American Crafts. They come in a huge variety of colors and one bottle lasts a long, long time. If you watch the sales, you can pick them up for a dollar or so. They add a kind of color that will make your project fun and playful.
      • Try using your die-cut negatives as masks or stencils. For example, those of you lucky to have the Tattered Flower die may want to cut some out of chipboard and apply some molding paste through the negative and onto your surface.
      • While my use of mists on my example was confined to coloring my leaves, you may want to try saturating your project with several coats of the stuff, a la Anna. The results should make you smile.
      • Collage is a great way to use your scraps or to use that paper in your stash that just doesn’t speak to you. To and glued down any which way and then painted and inked over will give it a whole new look. Moreover, a patteed background, no matter how faint, gives texture to your completed work.
      • Go through your trinkets and see if you can find something that you’ve had at least a year for some fun embellishments.
      • Need inspiration, you say????? Well, pull up a chair and start looking through the Techniques Forum and the Swirlydoos channel on YouTube. There is more than enough there to get you started!!!!!

And so on.

I hope that I’ve inspired you to get messy this month. We talk about mixed media, we ooooh and aaaaah at the projects and tutorials that our wonderful Design Team comes up with. Let’s show them how much they’ve inspired us!!!!!!!

I’ve taken the Newsprint paper that came with the August kit, to it into pieces and strips and applied it collage style to a 12 x 12 canvas, using Mod Podge. (I love the stuff; it dries quickly and give a permanent seal when applied over and under the paper.) When it was dry, I applied acrylic paint that I watered down to make it semi-opaque. While that was drying, I got started on my tree, based on Lynne’s incredible tutorial and using the Fab Scraps chipboard piece that came with the kit and paper from the TPC Ancestral line that came from a long-ago Swirly kit. For my leaves, I used a bit more of the Bazzill paper from the kit, folded, cut free-hand and colored with Glimmer Mist. My candy apples are Tim Holtz Bingo markers, misted with Dylusions spray, dipped in Utee and heated. I then made my “sun” with molding paste mixed with a few drops of reinker. I used an old Tim Holtz stamp and archival ink to make my flock of birds. The flowers are pom-poms that I’ve had for years, some leftover leaves, and doodled stems. And the butterflies: I’ve gotten very, very brave. Those are rub-ons that are probably as old as the pom-poms.

So much for me. Here's our examples of Swirly talent:

Christy

Debbie aka drybolt
      canvasfixed.jpg

Barbara aka pala

Cheryl
      [img:width=600&height=600]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1348682724_17_FT173128_sept_sgc_2012_.jpg[/img]

Rae

Cathy O

Let me be the first to say this is FREAKIN' AWESOME Peggy!!!!

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Wow Peggy, this is awesome! I love how you've done the sun and your tree looks great!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Peggy, this is wonderful. So many techniques!!!

Oh WOW, Peggy!!! Absolutely amazing! I have a canvas, so hopefully, I will be able to find some time to play! So cool!

LOVE it Peggy!! WOWOWOWWW!!!!! I will pay this weekend!

Awesome! Love all the techniques you've' used and the three looks realy great.

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Amazing, Pegs! You know I've been loving canvases lately. This is right up my alley! I love love love your tree!

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

This is so awesome Peggy!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Wow Peggy, you have been busy…. And it is gorgeous!!!!!. Love all the details…..

OMG Peggy…. Amazing!!!!!!! I love your project so much. All the techniques and colors and DETAIL ….. awesome.
                And what a super FUN challenge you came up with. So unique and he hee….. everyone need to break with their fears of the different mediums now.

Wow…Incredible Peggy!!! The techniques you have used are wonderful! Your art piece makes me smile!! I love it!!

I'm loving that tree!

LOVE it Peggy!! WOWOWOWWW!!!!! I will pay this weekend!

This challenge is right up your alley girl! Can't wait to see what you create…it'll be fabulous no doubt.

Beautiful Peggy and so inspiring! Count me in!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 124 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.