Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW SQOTW 4/10/2017 – A Bit Sketchy

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by msjan1 msjan1 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Peggy
    Peggy
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

Since November, Kim has been doing such an amazing job designing some truly stunning sketches to inspire us and that got me to thinking…
      How often do you actually use sketches? And when you use them, do you copy them pretty accurately or do you use them as a jumping off point and go off on your own?

A clean house is the sign of a lazy scrapper.

Peggy
      Peggy
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

I suppose it’s the rebel in me, but I’ve never been good at following most sketches; as a matter of fact, these layouts usually take me longer because I’m NOT “making it up as I go” – my usual habit once I get started.

Merrihew
        Merrihew
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

I love using sketches. Once in a while, I follow it pretty closely, but mostly they are a jumping off point for me. They just kind of get me going!

droopidog
          droopidog
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

I love sketches, especially when my mojo is off slutting it up. Depending on the sketch, I may try to follow it exactly. I say try because it always ends up doing it’s own thing. Even then, I can still see some semblance of the original sketch.

Kim
            My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"
            http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x407/droopido

RAE
            RAE
            Swirly Moderator
              Send PM

I love to look at sketches. It’s rare that I follow them exactly because I usually have some newish things on my desk that I want to use, so I do, whether they fit the sketch or not. I like sketches that are pretty detailed with elements (and Kim does a excellent job with that btw) because it gives you great ideas and sparks your our creativity for using similar elements that you have, if that makes sense. 🙂

msjan1
              msjan1
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

I use sketches a lot. They are typically a starting point and they take on a life of their own. Sometimes they are close.

Peggy
                Peggy
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

Rae, I think you’ve explained why I’m loving Kim’s sketches.
                  Sketches usually take me days to complete for some reason…

StephD
                  StephD
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

I like working with sketches, sometimes I follow them very closely and other times like all of you it’s just a great starting off point.

Peggy
                    Peggy
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

Jan and her sister had a sketch challenge going between them a while back and they invited others to participate. I’ll have to admit that it was a great starting off point; they managed to find some good designs to work with.

Hanne
                      Hanne
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

I use sketches a lot, especially for my double pages (I design sketches for that too).
                        I usually follow sketces pretty close and that can be hard sometimes, so for the time I try not to follow them so close and just use them as a start off point.

http://hanneshjorne.blogspot.no/

msjan1
                        msjan1
                        Swirly Scrapper
                          Send PM

Yes, the sketches should spark your creativity not limit it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.