Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW SQOTW-6/12/17

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by msjan1 msjan1 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    msjan1
    msjan1
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

What’s the best scrapbooking trick you have learned?

msjan1
      msjan1
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

For me, it’s a trick Rae taught us using Perfect Pearls on chipboard then randomly sprinkling with embossing powder. Then heat the embossing powder until it melts.

Peggy
        Peggy
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

I love that one, Jan – the faux filigree that actually does look like filigree!!!

I have a couple tricks that I love.
          The first is something that I learned a few years ago at a class at my LSS. Spray your chippies with your favorite mist and immediately cover with UTEE and melt with your heat tool. While it’s still hot, apply more UTEE and heat. (I saw Tim Holtz do the same thing with Distress Ink pads and clear embossing powder.)
          The second is Educator Heather’s trick: to smooth down paper that you’ve just hopelessly warped with mixed media, adhere a piece of pattern paper that you don’t care for.

A clean house is the sign of a lazy scrapper.

droopidog
          droopidog
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

One of my tricks came from Robin, I think. Taking a picture of your layout before you glue everything down.

I also use Rae’s filigree technique.

Kim
            My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"
            http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x407/droopido

Merrihew
            Merrihew
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

I love that Faux filigree chipboard! I also love Rae’s trick of using a tracing wheel and a fine tip black pen for faux stitching. I thought she had really stitched on her pages until she shared that with us.

Peggy
              Peggy
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

@kim, yes, that’s Robin’s trick. And I swear by it.

@cheryl, thanks for the reminder. I have a tracing wheel in my tool caddy and just look right through it for some reason. I should take it out once in a while…

RAE
                RAE
                Swirly Moderator
                  Send PM

Oh my! You ladies made my day! It means so much to me that you have learned something cool from me!

Here’s a list of things I have learned that I love. They aren’t techniques, but definitely tricks I have learned that keep me happily scrapping. 🙂

1. Gathering different perspectives on a project- For sure, take a picture of your layout (learned from Robin)using different placements of your elements to see what looks the best. Sit AND stand when considering placement. I always stand when I place pearls and bling. When you start adding chunkiness, look at the layout/project from the side to make sure it looks good from all sides!

I have a little stack of cardstock that is cut out in all of the different sizes (with measurements) of pictures that I can print. Those are handy when designing a layout because I can decide on the placement of my elements and use the cardstock as a “placeholder” then print the picture instead of guessing what size I want and wasting printer paper and cartridges by printing the same pic in a bunch of different sizes. This is also helpful because sometimes I notice that a particular filter on a picture will look great with the color combo I’ve chosen. So once everything is on the layout except for the picture, it’s easy to choose if I want a B&W pic, sepia, or some other kind of filter that goes best with the project as a whole instead of just printing a picture, and trying to find papers and flowers to match the colors.

SAVE your packaging! I keep what looks like a box of trash on the floor by my desk, but that stuff gets USED. It has packaging and cardboard and I use the cardboard instead of using foam tape and squares, and the clear packaging for throwaway craft “mats”. I used the packaging from Prima metals or TH stuff, or the Petaloo packs to use as little “bowls” for mixing paints and pastes, etc.

Do something new on every project. Even if it’s just using new goodies, a color combo you haven’t done before, or a tweaking a technique in some way, it keeps things interesting to try new stuff. Like, right now, I am working on a project that I want to add a big lace applique to- but it’s too stark white for what I’m doing. I could have used paint or inks, but I’m not- I’m using the Prima Artisan Powders in green and pink, and it looks better than paint or ink!

Peggy
                  Peggy
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

Love all these, Rae!!!!
                    Thanks for the sized cardstock tip, it never occurred to me to try out the sizes first. (I have a stack of photos that I had to reprint because I changed my mind, this is going to save me a lot on ink & paper.)

And I like the try new stuff – I’ve been doing that a lot lately. It actually keeps the mojo up and alive, doesn’t it?

msjan1
                    msjan1
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

I forgot about the tracing wheel trick!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.