Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW SQOTW 9/26/16 Masculine layouts

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  anniescraps 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    droopidog
    droopidog
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Do you find it difficult to do masculine layouts? If so why? If not, what tips do you have for those that do? What are some of your favorite embellishment to use on masculine layouts?

Kim
      My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"

droopidog
      droopidog
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I go back and forth with masculine layouts. Sometimes I can rock them out and other times I just want to pull my hair out.

I have the hardest time doing them of dh. He hates flowers on his layout. I have figured a way around that. I used burlap or other “manly” textured flowers…lol.

As for techniques for masculine layouts, I love lots of mixed media, inking, paper tearing and stamping. For embellishments I like to use chipboard (mainly gears, clocks, stars, chicken wire, bricks, etc.. ), metals or resins. Anything that gives off a rough and tough vibe.

Kim
        My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"

Peggy
        Peggy
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

Kim, you’ve reminded me of a page I did 6 years ago. My middle son had sent me photos from a vacation trip he took to Florida and I decided to scrap one that was taken while they were flying kites at sunset. I focused on the colors of the sky, water and sand and added a balloon stencil and some butterflies, along with a bit of rosette trim. (Here’s a link, so you know what I mean http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/332343/view/2981015/-1/144/0.html )
          When I showed him the layout, he looked and he looked and then he turned to me and said “You DO know that I’m a guy, right?”

I’ve found that metal flowers work and of course, so do gears and clock faces and chains, all on darker papers. I suppose that’s why we were all so excited over Prima’s Stationer’s Desk and Kaisercraft’s Base Coat among others.
          As you mentioned, most of what we can find at the nearest Home Depot is perfect – chicken wire, burlap, drywall tape… I’m still hoarding bit of the bark icons that Prima sold a few years ago…

A clean house is the sign of a lazy scrapper.

GinnyH
          GinnyH
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

I do love doing a masculine page every now and then, I find them a bit of an excuse to work with mixed media and working with darker/ natural colour papers, which I love. I find I tend to use themed papers a bit more for a masculine layout like a sporty paper for my football boy. Yes I use gears and clocks, (also things like badges, pins, clips, arrows, tags) and lots of chippies, I also dive into my dies for different embellishments and use a lot of layers and textures. Stamping is something else I would use more of on a masculine page to add detail. Gosh I quite fancy going and doing one now!!

ginny πŸ™‚

Bec
            Bec
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

I cant do masculine layouts, I’ve tryed a few times but I just cant stop added flowers ☺. I should learn now that I have a baby boy on the way……but I think my boy pages will still end up very feminine.

GinnyH
              GinnyH
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

Hahaha Bec, I think ‘he’ might object when he is about 13 and still has flowers on his pages!!! LOL

ginny πŸ™‚

Peggy
                Peggy
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

LOL, you certainly can get away with it for the first two years or so, but yeah, what Ginny said.

A clean house is the sign of a lazy scrapper.

Bec
                  Bec
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

Hehe, he won’t get a say πŸ˜€ Plus when he becomes a teenager Sophie will be in her 20’s so maybe I’ll have grandchildren by then.

I love Maiko Kosugi and Stacey Young’s scrapbook style and they only have boys. I cant ever imagine scraping with out lots of flowers

msjan1
                    msjan1
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

I do like manly pages when I have the right papers and embellies. Love doing them with with lots of mixed media, gears, metals. Grunge! Chipboard, wire, chicken wire, even small light bulbs, screws, drywall tape. I even used a set of earbuds on a layout once.

Merrihew
                      Merrihew
                      Swirly Scrapper
                        Send PM

I like doing masculine LO’s, I just need to do more of them. I don’t have as many pics of the men in my life as I do the ladies. I usually use metals, chipboard, twine, burlap, cardboard, gears, clocks as embellishment. I have a TH swirl die that I like to use on the guy LO’s It is thicker and not feminine looking at all. Sometimes I will use a flower or two, but usually they are rustic looking, like burlap or leather.

RAE
                        RAE
                        Swirly Moderator
                          Send PM

They can be difficult. Typically, I struggle with my masculine layouts looking too simplistic. I usually put flowers on them. I don’t care what other people think of that. They usually have some kind of texture and are not very girly. But, I like flowers. They are the perfect embellishment!

anniescraps
                          Swirly Scrapper
                            Send PM

Ladies, I have had quite a few chuckles and giggles…
                            Kim – “I used burlap or other β€œmanly” textured flowers”
                            Peggy – β€œYou DO know that I’m a guy, right?”
                            Ginny – “Gosh I quite fancy going and doing one now!!”
                            Bec – “Hehe, he won’t get a say” ?

I actually have a difficult time putting a “girly” LO together. Don’t get me wrong I LOVE the “pretty” colors and bling and flowers. For some reason what I envision and what the end result is two different versions.
                            I just think I have an easier time with the masculine LO’s because I tend to gear towards the more “manly colors”. That and the fact that I tend to print more of the males in my family…lol

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.