Home Forums Scrap Chat SQOTW SQOTW – mediums

This topic contains 32 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Either we like it or not the mediums are here to stay ;) Many of us use it more or less on our layouts. The manufacturers comes up with new mediums for every new season. For some of us it´s a djungel out there and you don´t even know where to start … what to buy… if you want to try the mixed media.

So my question this week is… What´s your favourite mediums to use? why is it you favourites?
    Is there stuff out there on the market that you would like to try, but still haven´t.

From the beginning my favourite was spray paints, but now i love the Gelatos more! They are easier to work with, I get the paint where I want it and I can blend them out with water. But when I want a watercolor effect I still use the spray paints.
    My next favourite is Modelling paste. Love to use it with stencils. It gives great texture to the page.
    These two/three are what I mostly use. But I also use some acrylic paints, silks, embossing powders and Distress Stains.
    One thing I would like to try is alco inks and gelly plates =)

I think I use white gesso and texture paste on almost everything I make – so those mediums are my favs! I love to use gesso both in the background (a thin layer to soften the patte if it's a strong or bold patteed paper, and/or to make mists or pan pastels stick better), and on top of flowers and other embellies to give them a frosted look.

When it comes to color I use mists mostly, but also love pan pastels!

I would love to use clear gesso, so that's probably what I'm gonna buy next 🙂

Ahhhh, clear gesso for me too =) Forgot it ;)

Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

I'm just starting to get into mixed media, but I LOVE mists….I've been using them for quite awhile. I broke down a little while ago and bought the entire Color Blooms from Prima all in one go.

I'm thinking my next step is basically to get better and using my paints, gelatos, etc to create better backgrounds….

But Gesso, modeling paste are def my faves

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Mine are gesso and embossing powder. I love sprays too but I have more control with ink.

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

I love clear gesso and then misting overtop. I love 13 Arts Ayeeda modeling gesso. It is thick and dries really fast. Truthfully though, I am a layered paper gal and even when I use mixed media it often gets covered up with all my layers.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

I love Wendi Vecchi embossing paste for my stencils! It's pretty much all I use on my stencils as far as goop goes.

I love my mists. My very favorite ones are the Perfect Pearls mists for the colors and sheeess of them.

Chalk inks are still my favorite, and I have always been a fan of embossing powders- the Stampendous ones are my faves!

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Me too, Maggi- I love paper layering.

I always want to lick my fingers when I use Wendi Vecchi embossing paste. I have only tried gelatos a couple of times, but I haven't gotten the fever. Never tried pan pastels but would like to. I love everything in Tim's distress line, and his online classes have been really good.

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

I love to use mist and molding paste. That's about it! I do a lot of paper layering and hate to take away the beauty of the paper.

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

I've leaed to start with clear gesso every time I use any media at all; I can erase my worst goofs and it seems to cut down on the warpage.

And then it depends. I love modeling paste, but I've been using the Wendy Vecchi texture paste. It's lighter and seems to dry a lot faster and holds its shape so well.

I cannot live without my mists, lol; I used them far more often than any other inks or paints.
                Next is embossing power; I love the glitter and texture I get.

The funny thing is that I didn't use much at all with the September kit. Somehow, the tried and true distress ink worked best for me.

My current favorite medium is Color Shots, although it changes depending on my mood.

The Wendy Vecchi paste is made by Dreamweavers; they've been making stencil paste for over 10 years, and it is very light and airy.

I've always been a fan of embossing powders, too. I have tons of them!

Oh, and Twinkling H2Os. LOVE them!

**** Note to self—>>> Buy CLEAR Gesso****

I Love GESSO…. use it on every page/card or what ever.
                I love Iridescent medium (Windsor & Newton) Use it on every project I create.

I love mists (but NOT the smooch ones) the Lindy's are my fav! I do make a lot of the mists myself _ mixing distress reinkers, water and Pearl-Ex powder.
                I LOVE my distress inks, and those are used on every project I made too.

For stenciling I use mostly structure paste from a home-depot store.

I don't have any specific product that I need to try ATM
                I just LOVE the monthly Mediums AddOn!!!!!

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

LOL!!! Paulien, I'm copying that note to self!! Want me some clear gesso!

Krissy
                  Krissy
                  Swirly Admin
                    Send PM

I love all my mediums. I am willing to try anything.

My current favorite is pan pastels. I guess my least favorite would be gelatos. I like them but not as much as my other stuff.

since I have discovered clear gesso, the sky is the limit. I also like super heavy gesso for stencils.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.