This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Snagg1 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

craftysprinkles
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

[img:width=600&height=450]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1358969035_896_FT0_2013_january_craft_015string_.jpg[/img]

I made these little string flowers for a challenge and thought you might like to see how they werre made. If you are my age you will probably remember making woollen ones – my Dad made me a loom by nailing eight nails into a piece of wood. I also remember getting a yellow plastic one in the 70s!

[img:width=600&height=589]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1358968425_896_FT0_2013_january_craft_019string_.jpg[/img]

So this is the loom I made. I cut two circles of card and on the top one divided into eight (roughly) segments. I glued the two pieces of card together and when dried stuck pins in between the layers.

[img:width=600&height=450]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1358968607_896_FT0_2013_january_craft_020_.jpg[/img]

Then I started winding my string around the pins. I looped first around the top, then back around the bottom, then the one to the right and back to the one on the left. I hope that is clear!

[img:width=600&height=450]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1358968682_896_FT0_2013_january_craft_022_.jpg[/img]

Once each pin had two loops I started backstitching the string around the centre. This gives the flower a bit of firmness and evens out the petals. I did two rows before tying it off at the back. Even using my best sailing knots it needed a bit of PVA to stop it from unravellilng. Then all you need to do is remove the pins from the card and your flower is free.

[img:width=600&height=437]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1358968784_896_FT0_2013_january_craft_024_.jpg[/img]

The finished flowers The one on the right I used backstitch for the centre and the one on the left I wove the threads under and over, but I don't think it looks as neat as there were an even number of petals and I needed to miss one out to make it work.

[img:width=393&height=600]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1358968877_896_FT0_2013_january_craft_011.jpg[/img]

Unfortunately they were a little big to use on my tag, so I made another couple from hemp, using a smaller set of circles. And this is my tag – the challenge was to use string, hemp, ribbon, cotton, etc. there are more details on my blog.
      http://jennie-livethedream.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/string-flowers.html

I hope this is useful and you have a go at making them.

Jennie x

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

That's so cute Jennie, I'm going to try that out, thanks for sharing!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Jennie wonderful flowers and tutorial!!

so awesome!!!

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

These are so cute! Thanks for sharing!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

They ARE cute, aren't they? Thanks, Jennie, fabulous tutorial!!!!

Ohhh I simply LOVE these!!!!!!!! Thank you Jennie for posting this awesome tut!

Love these, Jennie! They are really cute! I will be giving these a try! Thanks!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Oh, those are so pretty!!! Thanks for sharing, Jennie!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

Wow Jennie!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this, I have been wanting to make some of these flowers but I keep forgetting to buy a flower loom, now I don't. Thanks again… They are soooo pretty!!!!

Snagg1
                    Send PM

These are awesome! I can see doing these with wire as well–thanks!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.