Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Excellent Books Summer Reading 2015

This topic contains 27 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Peggy Peggy 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Sherrenae
    Sherrenae
    Swirly Scrapper
      Send PM

Anyone reading anything good this summer?

Just finished reading Girl on the Train for book club. Not sure that I would recommend it, kind of mixed feelings on it.

Now we are on to Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. Have just started it and having a hard time getting into it….anyone read this?

Our next book I believe is The Princess Bride and hope it is light and funny like the movie…it seems I have been reading a lot of emotionally heavy books lately.

Peggy
      Peggy
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Girl on the Train is actually on my wish list. Why the mixed feelings, Sherri?

On my Kindle app, an older one, Dark Places by Gillian Flynn. I really liked Gone Girl and I thought I’d give this one a try.

My latest “real” book purchase is Finders Keepers. It’s sitting on the table and I’m just too lazy to open it up, I’m afraid. I loved Mr. Mercedes, so I think I’ll enjoy this one once I get started.

A clean house is the sign of a lazy scrapper.

droopidog
        droopidog
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

I’ve read Sharp Object by Gillian Flynn and Revival by Stephan King. I’m currently reading The Wolf Gift by Anne Rice. I have waiting Gathering Prey by John Sanford and Finders Keepers by Stephan King. I want Dark Places. I am so behind.

Kim
          My Blog: http://droopidog.typepad.com/my_life_up_close_and_pers/

"Puff, Puff, Pass"
          http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x407/droopido

luv46kdz
          luv46kdz
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Girl On The Train is my book club book for my host month in October. My sil already started it and said she’s having a tough time ? Now I’m concerned. I hate reading crappy books! It sounded so good.

The Luckiest Girl Alive is very good especially if you liked Gone Girl. The Bullet, The Truth Nad Other Lies. These are all reviews I did on my blog tomesdevotee.blogspot.com If you go back there’s several good ones I read. I need to wrap up so I can do some me reading. I love Gillian Flynn. I haven’t been in a romancey mood more thriller.

Sherrenae
            Sherrenae
            Swirly Scrapper
              Send PM

Some interesting titles I need to check out.

For me Girl on the Train, sounded good going in and was an interesting idea, but I didn’t really like any of the characters. one of the ladies in book club however to much identified with one of the characters and one of the situations and it just kind of made the experience of reading and discussing it very unpleasant since she tried to push her viewpoint So this I admit tainted my view somewhat.

RAE
              RAE
              Swirly Moderator
                Send PM

Sherri, I’ve heard great things about that book. I started it and I couldn’t get into it AT ALL. I’ll give another shot at some point.

I highly recommend Gillian Flynn’s other novels! I read sharp objects in two days- it was captivating. And, Dark Places is also very good.

I’m almost done with Every Little Secret by Laura Lippman. I really like it, but it’s very disturbing, which is weird because nothing I read really bothers me.

I read the first book of the Wayward Pines series. It was good, but the ending was a little disappointing.

The Silent Girls by Eric Rickstad was awesome! And I’ve also read Galveston by Nic Pizzolatto, and it was really, really entertaining!

Peggy
                Peggy
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

I’m reading Dark Places now. I’m not too far into it yet, packing has been a bit of a priority over the past few days. But I’m liking it so far…

Rae, you made me curious about The Silent Girls; I’ve downloaded it from Amazon.

Dang, we’re all in a gruesome mood, aren’t we? And here I was waxing poetic about Jane Austen, lol.
                  (I’m probably going to hit Persuasion after Dark Places; I’ve been in the mood for that one for weeks.)

Then on to Sharp Objects…

Peggy
                  Peggy
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

Well, I finished Dark Places on the plane home and I understand Rae’s just above lukewarm comment. The book IS good, Ms Flynn is a wonderful writer, but it feels as though she got almost to the end and “now what?”. I don’t know, the last few pages felt a bit lazy and (I don’t want to be a spoiler) one of the characters introduced toward the end felt almost like cheating. I guess I expected a better ending after all that I had read.

Palate cleansing now, I’ve started reading Persuasion for a change of pace.

RAE
                    RAE
                    Swirly Moderator
                      Send PM

I liked the twists in Dark Places, however I agree- Flynn tells a great story, but she doesn’t quite wrap things up that pretty. I find that to be true of a lot of books written these days- the endings just don’t have the oomph I’m craving.

RAE
                      RAE
                      Swirly Moderator
                        Send PM

I’m reading The Martian. Glenn read it and loved it- he’s hard to please, so I thought I’d give it a shot. Besides, how can you go wrong with a book that opens with “I’m pretty much fucked.”? I must know WHY! 😉

Peggy
                        Peggy
                        Swirly Scrapper
                          Send PM

LOL, Rae, that IS a great way to start. Let me know how you like it; it’s on my Amazon wish list.

You’re right about so many endings to otherwise good books. It puts me in mind of the dog that finally catches the car, kwim?

luv46kdz
                          luv46kdz
                          Swirly Scrapper
                            Send PM

I have Silent Girls on my tbr list, Laura Lipman wrote And When She Was Good, it was excellent. Hubs and I wanna read Martian since the trailer looks so damn good.

Right now I’m reading Name Of The Devil by Andrew Mayne. Thriller, right up my alley.

luv46kdz
                            luv46kdz
                            Swirly Scrapper
                              Send PM

With all the e-readers out there here’s a link to overdrive digital library –

OVERDRIVE

It’s just like a hard bound library but you’re borrowing e-books. Peggy if you have a kindle or nook you should be able to get Outlander on it ?

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by luv46kdz luv46kdz.
                              Peggy
                              Peggy
                              Swirly Scrapper
                                Send PM

Yes, this is one very good reason to get to my library and renew my card. I stopped using it a long time ago when my work hours made it hard to read and return books on time.
                                I’ve been aware of the digi lending, I’m just too lazy or whatever to stop in and get it all set up. Thanks for the reminder, Paula.

luv46kdz
                                luv46kdz
                                Swirly Scrapper
                                  Send PM

I know how that goes Peggy ???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.