Home Forums Scrap Chat Challenges The 12 tags of Savagery – January tag challenge – WINNER ANNOUNCED – Michelle!

This topic contains 173 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 175 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

Join me on the 15th of every month for a tag tutorial and challenge! We're going to explore different techniques each month with our tags and hopefully have lots of fun! Each month I will try and focus on different methods, media, and techniques. Tags are such a fun thing to make because they are small pieces of art and are great for experimenting. If you don't like what you've done, you've only wasted a small amount of paper that are often scraps so who cares, right? Now when I've used a whole sheet of pretty paper, I get kinda P. O.ed when I have to toss it cause it didn't make the grade. KWIM??

This month we're going to think about layers. I use a lot of diecut frames on my tags for layers because I love the decorative edges. I love to layer different size frames over each other, thereby creating lots of layers. If you really find that making tags is your gig, you might want to invest in a few different frames. In order of my preference, I would suggest, ovals, circles, rectangles and squares. However, if you own any Martha Stewart punch around the page punches you can easily tu a plain cut shape into a decorative shape. Use the coer punch to tu circles into pretty doilies and use both punches to jazz up your squares and rectangles. You can even use a coer punch to pretty up your ovals.

Ok let's get started on this month's tag. I've listed the supplies I used on the Swirlydoos blog, most of which, comes from the January Swirlydoos kit. You can easily adapt and go free style and use whatever you want!

You will also find a step by step tutorial for making this tag on the Swirlydoos blog. http://swirlydoos.blogspot.com/2015/01/twelve-tags-of-savagery-january.html

BFS-Sanctuary1web.jpg

If you want to use the tags that came in the main kit, here's a simpler version of the January Savagery tag.

3%2B%282%29.jpg

Now I know some of you are wondering what do I do with all these tags? Well I give them away by including them in my RAKS, attach them to gifts, use them as cards by simply writing a note on the back or cutting a cardstock card large enough that I can attach the tag to the card, voila, instant card, or attach to a layout. And sometimes I just put them in my treasure box and take them out and admire them now and again!

Here's the challenge!
      Create a layered tag similar to this example. You do not have to use a Swirlydoos kit for this but your tag must show some similarity to the example meaning that there must be layers and fussy cutting.
      Tag must be new as of today, January 15, 2015 and can not be used for any other Swirlygirls challenge.
      Feel free to enter up to 3 different tags in this challenge!
      Upload your tag(s) to this thread and to our Facebook Gallery , Please be sure to label your tag January Savagery tag.
      Everyone loves to be loved, so be sure and comment on everyones' tags.
      Challenge closes at midnight MST February 14, 2015.

I will award a RAK to a randomly selected person that will consist of this tag and some of my favorite tag making supplies!

Here are lots of closeups so you can see the details.

Players:

Ginny
      1421536488_2865_FT255586_dsc_0011_3.jpg

Mellisa
      371bc8b2-ee84-4825-a678-ab4613a94686.jpg

Heather 1
      1421680293_2902_FT255586_tag_1_resized.jpg

Heather 2
      1421680389_2902_FT255586_tag_2_resized.jpg

Manda
      1421697245_39_FT255586_1-dsc_0001.jpg

Steph
      1421702638_1061_FT255586_01.jpg

Michelle
      1421764856_126_FT255586_10931030_10204760791553987_8610952147416652840_n.jpg

Sue
      1421792842_2757_FT255586_january_2015_024.jpg

Peggy
      1422134543_36_FT255586_20150120_janaury_tag_of_savagery.jpg

Ginny
      1422568313_2865_FT255586_rsz_dsc_0019_2_.jpg

Bitsy
      1422926381_3007_FT255586_tag_by_bitsy_01-31-2015.jpg

Bitsy
      1422936355_3007_FT255586_pink_and_blue_tag_by_bitsy_01-30-15.jpg

Cheryl:
      1423421841_17_FT255586_jan_12_tags_resized.jpg

Linda:
      1423959605_550_FT255586_001ab.jpg

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Wow! Beautiful sneak, Maggi! Looking forward to this challenge!

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Gorgeous sneak!!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

woohoo..cant wait

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Oh my goodness, look at the layering!!!! I can't wait for this one!!!!

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

beautiful sneak!!! I can't wait to dive in!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Can't wait!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

you mean you can't post it early this month since it's the first one!!!?:!?!?!?!? ;D
                Just kidding Maggi!!

craftysprinkles
                Swirly Scrapper
                  Send PM

oooh ! looks fabulous Maggi.

Snagg1
                    Send PM

On my fantastic! I can see this is gonna be just awesome!

Krissy
                    Krissy
                    Swirly Admin
                      Send PM

Lookin' purdy Maggi!

Krissy
                      Krissy
                      Swirly Admin
                        Send PM

Thanks ladies!

Things you will need for this tag:

Heavy paper to make your tag, the size I like to use is 3.5 x 8.5 Prima makes a great tag this size but you can easily cut your own which is what I often do.
                        Fussy cut image
                        3 x 4' notecard such as in the January kit
                        lace or trim
                        doily
                        cheesecloth
                        leafy vines, leaves, or something similar
                        ribbon
                        cardboard or sticky foam to pop up layers
                        ribbon

and another sneak!

[img:width=600&height=625]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1420983659_312_FT255586_bfs_close5_2_.jpg[/img]

Beautiful, Maggi! Can't wait!

Krissy
                        Krissy
                        Swirly Admin
                          Send PM

very cool…looking forward to making one!

Krissy
                          Krissy
                          Swirly Admin
                            Send PM

Let's talk about layers on tags for a minute. I use alot of diecut frames on my tags for layers because I love the decorative edges. I love to layer different size frames over each other, thereby creating lots of layers. If you really find that making tags is your gig, you might want to invest in a few different frames. In order of my preference, I would suggest, ovals, circles, rectangles and squares. However, if you own any Martha Stewart punch around the page punches you can easily tu a plain cut shape into a decorative shape. Use the coer punch to tu circles into pretty doilies and use both punches to jazz up your squares and rectangles. You can even use a coer punch to pretty up your ovals.

This is one of my favorite tags, I wish I still owned it, LOL, but I gave it to the spoos veterinarian along with a tin of cookies Christmas 2013. It has lots of layers and when casually looking at it, you might not notice them all but together they make, what I think, is a really pretty tag.

Here are the layers of this tag starting at the back.
                            1. Pink base just peaking out at the very top
                            2. A cranberry border cut at the top and lace at the bottom.
                            3. Floral rectangle border cut with Martha Stewart's Flourish Lace.
                            4. Sizzix Fancy Rectangle frame die. I diecut the frame out of dark green cardstock and then added Stampendous Shabby white embossing powder.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 175 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.