Home Forums Non Scrap Chat Photography Tips for good Holiday photos

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Krissy
    Krissy
    Swirly Admin
      Send PM

There are so many beautiful things/events to capture during the holidays, here are a few tips to make those memories last a lifetime.

Let's start with photographing the Christmas tree. First question is do you use your flash or not? Well that depends on the look you are going for.

Too much flash-can obliterate the twinkling lights on the tree
      Too little exteal (room) lighting-will give you a blob of light only identifiable by the tree shape.

So what do you do? Since we are in the digital age and we can just delete a bad photo, take a couple of test shot with this combo to see which effect you prefer:

No exteal(room) lighting and flash(bounce it off ceiling if possible)-this should give you a soft effect and subtle light and glow.
      or
      Exteal(room) lighting and no flash-this will show detail of the tree, twinkle lights and oaments in a soft orange glow.

Now, lets place a few people in front of the Christmas tree for some photos. I can help you with the lighting, but getting your subjects to cooperate is out of my area of expertise. I just use the threat of violence with mine, 🙂

The most important thing about photographing a person in front of Christmas tree (or lit fireplace) is lighting. Again we may or may not be using the flash, just depends on the look you are going for.

Flash off-subject appears in silhouette
      Flash on-details of subjects face are more visible.

If you want a photo that shows the glow from the lights(or fire), try balancing the room lighting with the lights of the tree. These type of pictures are best taken during the day or with all the room lights on and the camera flash off. If you have a tripod (or something stable to hold the camera), that's even better.

Another trick is to have your subject hold an electric candle. The light will provide enough illumination to bring out the detail in their expression.

I hope these few tips help you get some good fun holiday photos.

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Thanks, Kim! This is great info.

Thanks for the tips, Kim! I will try some of these!

Kim, this is going to be so helpful.

Snagg1
          Send PM

Thanks Kim! I'm gonna practice, I'm tired of only having maybe 1 or 2 decent shots 🙂

craftysprinkles
          Swirly Scrapper
            Send PM

Kim, thanks so much!!!
            I will definitely try these out!!!!

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Very helpful, Kim! Thank you!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Thanks Kim! As soon as I get my tree up, I'm going to try these tips!

These are awesome tips! Will they work also if you tree is standing for a window? I can't place mine anywhere else. So daylight (not that we have much) will come from the back of my tree.

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

Kim these are great tips, thanks so much!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.