Home Forums Tutorials, Tips, Tricks and Techniques Tips, Tricks & Techniques Tips for taking pics of your lovely works of art

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Snagg1
      Send PM

This has to be one of the most stressful things for completing your project. There is nothing worse than having a stunning page and not being able to have all of its beauty come through in your picture. These tips are really more of an opinion, but I think most everyone will agree.

First: the setting

Your page should be the most important thing in your picture. Kind of like the bride. You can't have bridesmaids creating a distraction! LOL ;)

If you don't have the ability to crop your photos so that only your page shows, you should stay with a consistent background, something that makes your page POP and doesn't compete with your page (remember the bridesmaid) :p. You can use a white or a black sheet or pillow case. You can use a white or black piece of poster board. I find that white or black are the perfect backgrounds when you can't tightly crop your photo. The object is to enhance your project and not distract.

You also want to try and take a picture of your page straight-on. Think of looking at a picture on a wall or gallery art. You get the most impact when you can see all of the details at eye level. This can be challenging. I've heard of so many things that people do to accomplish this. Here are a few:

A framed cork board -You can set your page up on the wall and the frame provides just enough of a lip that it stays straight up.

White board and repositionable adhesive – Spray the board and place your page on the adhesive. What I want to know is what happens to the back of your page? Does it stay sticky?? LOL

Glue dots and your wall – I'd be afraid my paint would come off.

Whatever you choose, the object is to have your page staring at you like it was a picture you hung on your wall – flat and coming straight at you.

Lighting – this is the bane to everyone's existence. Natural light can be elusive and if you work out of your home, it can be almost impossible to get. Don't worry, there are some things you can do!!

I have some telescoping, tripod lamps. They remind me of desk lamps, but these can be adjusted in height. If you can't find these, but do have a few desk lamps, you can use those. You may need to find boxes or books to get the height they way you want it. The light bulb is really, really important and you don't have to spend a bazillion dollars to get one. Here is the key to getting the right light……Kelvin light temperature rating. You want a Kelvin rating as close to around 5300 as you can get. This temperature will give you a clear outdoor light. If you go above 5500 you start getting into blueish tones and if you go below 5000 you start getting pinks and oranges. These bulbs can be found at a home improvement center and even some grocery stores.

You will have to play around with your lights when you are taking your pictures because you don't want a glare in your final shot.

I use a photo tent. My DH found one for me on eBay, and it was really cheap. It comes with different background covers: white, black, red and blue. This lets me change the back drop to my photos if I am taking a pic of something I won't be able to crop tightly. He also found me the telescoping lights on eBay. Everything all together was less an $100. This is a lot cheaper than going to a photography store. The nice thing about a light tent is that is diffuses the light so that it is never harsh.

I know I didn't cover everything and may have missed some things, but I'm hoping that some other swirly girlies will reply with some ideas and tips of their own.

craftysprinkles
      Swirly Scrapper
        Send PM

Lisa, these are wonderful tips!!!! Thanks so much for posting!!!

TFS, Lisa!!!

Krissy
        Krissy
        Swirly Admin
          Send PM

Great tips, Lisa! I find the lighting to be the most difficult part in photographing my work.

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Great tips, Lisa! I find the lighting to be the most difficult part in photographing my work.

Hey Helen – LOVE the picture.

Lisa, thanks so much for posting these.

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

Thanks Jennifer! I don't, but I thought I'd stop hiding! ;)

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Great tips and I agree with Helen the lighting gets me every time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.