Home Forums Tutorials, Tips, Tricks and Techniques Masking/Spritzing Tutorials Tumbled Stone Technique – Petaloo Color Me Crazy

This topic contains 32 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Krissy Krissy 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Snagg1
      Send PM

Giggle1.jpg

This technique can be applied to anything but it works especialy well on the Petaloo Color Me Crazy products. The reason it works so well is because of the texture of the product. You'll understand as we move forward. This is really easy to do and takes about 10 minutes from start to finish.

001-3.jpg

Supplies:
      Petaloo Color Me Crazy Frames and Tags – I used the hearts for this tutorial
      2 Mist Colors – I used Apricot Nectar Chalkboard Mist, and Olive Vine Glimmer Mist. Both by Tattered Angels.
      Embossing Ink Pad
      Walnut Stain Distress Ink
      Clear Ultra Thick Embossing Enamel (UTEE)
      Heat Gun (not pictured)
      Non-Stick Craft Mat (not pictured)

004-3.jpg

Step One

– Use your craft mat for your work space.
      – Using your lightest color mist first, mist your hearts. You don't want to mist it entirely. You want to leave some white spaces. I would suggest that you start misting lightly, a distance away from your hearts and in a sweeping motion. You will notice that because of the texture of this product, the mist is absorbed differently. Some places will be light while others seem more concentrated.
      – You can repeat this step and even saturate specific areas if you would like. Just make sure to leave a little bit that is lightly colored, or lacking in color all together.

005-3.jpg

Step Two

– Use your heat gun to dry your hearts.
      – Using your embossing ink pad, cover the entire heart with embossing ink.
      – Now pour UTEE over the heart making sure to cover it completely. Tap off the excess.
      – Using your heat gun, melt the UTEE (emboss your hearts). A characteristic of UTEE is that the first coat won't cover your project entirely. In fact, as the UTEE melts it will begin to form little droplets and puddles. This is especially true with the Color Me Crazy products because of their overall texture.
      – You want droplets and puddles. You don't want the entire surface covered in UTEE.

007-2.jpg

Step Three

– Wait for the UTEE to harden. It will only take a minute or so.
      – Using your second, and darker mist, begin misting your hearts in the same manner as you did in Step One.
      – You will notice that the mist will puddle over the areas where there is UTEE. The UTEE is acting like a resist and that is exactly what you want.
      – In other areas you will see where the second color is blending with the first, and/or leaving color in the white spaces.
      – Wipe the ink off of the UTEE and wait for it to dry. Don't use your heat gun to speed the process. It will only take a few minutes..promise. 🙂

Step Four

– Repeat Step Two.
      – Using your embossing ink, UTEE and heat gun, add two more layers of UTEE; one at a time.
      – After each layer of UTEE You will see that it will begin to cover your entire project.
      – After the third layer the UTEE should now cover the entire project and it should have an epoxy-look to it. The entire surface should be smooth, not rippled, and it should look shiny. If it doesn't, keep adding layers of UTEE until it does.

Step Five

– Put your hearts in the freezer. Yes, you read that right; I said the freezer. Keep them in there for a few minutes. The purpose of this is to make the UTEE brittle.
      – Take your hearts out one at a time and begin to bend them. This will crack the UTEE. The technique of cracking the UTEE is also called the Broken Glass Effect. You can continue to bend the hearts where you want and this will give you a little bit of control over where you end up with cracks. Or, you can set them on the counter and give them a good whack. I find that the whack technique doesn't work so well on small projects because the UTEE really tends to shatter and some pieces may fall off.

011-5.jpg

Step Six

– Take your hearts and place them on your Walnut Stain Distress Ink pad and push it around until it looks like this. You want to push it around in different directions so that the ink will hit your cracks all the way around.
      – Using a slightly and I do mean slightly, damp towel begin wiping off your distress ink. The ink should have found it's way into your cracks and will remain there even after you wipe the rest of it off.
      – You can use any color Distress Ink you want for this. I found that the Walnut Stain was really dark and highlighted the stone to my preference.

014-1.jpg

All done!!! You now have beautiful tumbled stones to embellish any of your projects!!!

Oh, Girl!!! So pretty and unusual….Da! I wish my money tree would sprout another big branch!!!!

Holy crap girl! I love this technique!!

Krissy
      Krissy
      Swirly Admin
        Send PM

Beautiful Lisa!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

craftysprinkles
        Swirly Scrapper
          Send PM

Lisa, WOW this is awesome!!!! Thanks so very much!!!!

TOOO COOOL!!! Thanks for showing that! 🙂

Krissy
          Krissy
          Swirly Admin
            Send PM

those are awesome cant wait to try 🙂

Wow! You are super creative Lisa! And I have UTEE too!! Can't wait to try this!

Krissy
            Krissy
            Swirly Admin
              Send PM

Beautiful Lisa!

Krissy
              Krissy
              Swirly Admin
                Send PM

Can't wait to try this.

So cool! Thanks, Lisa!

totally cool!

Yeah! What THEY all said! My list grows ever longer…Love those stone cold hearts ;)

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

So cool. Does anyone have some sort of filing system where they keep track of all the tutorials they want to try? I have leaed so much here that my brain feels like it's exploding!! 🙂

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

OMG Lisa this is a fabulous technique!!! Thank you SO much for posting this I can't wait to try it out!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.