Home Forums Tutorials, Tips, Tricks and Techniques Mixed Media Tutorials Using Molding Paste Tutorial

This topic contains 47 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  lisajoy 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author

Snagg1
      Send PM

This tutorial is not an all encompassing How to use molding paste tutorial. There are thousands of ways to use this product and this is only 1 of them.

One of the easiest projects I've been really getting into lately is making 3D designs using my templates. I know it is hard to see from this picture, but you'll have to trust me, there is some depth in that design. This project is so super easy that I just had to share it with you.
      [img:width=267&height=400]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1291458664_13_FT0_3d_example.jpg[/img]

Snagg1
        Send PM

Here are the supplies you are going to need:

* Bowl, Pan or anything that you can use for glitter
        * Stencil – mine is from Layers of Color
        * Light Molding Paste – mine is by Golden
        * Palette Knife – you could use an old credit card, or a sturdy piece of chipboard if you don't have a knife
        * Glitter
        * Item that you want to embellish. Mine is a Christmas tree for a page I'm working on.
        * Non-Stick Craft Mat
        * Masking Tape

[img:width=400&height=305]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1291458700_13_FT55375_3d_stenciled_embellishments.jpg[/img]

Snagg1
          Send PM

Step 1
          Put your card stock on your non-stick craft mat and position your template until the design is where you want it. Use masking tape to secure the template to your craft mat.
          [img:width=400&height=391]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1291458734_13_FT55375_3d_step1.jpg[/img]

Snagg1
            Send PM

Step 2

Using your palette knife, very carefully spread the molding paste over your stencil. Something really important to note: when you are working with a stencil, especially one with an intricate design, the template may have a tendency to lift up making it so that your paste goes undeeath the template. For this reason I will first put a thicker coat over the project and not apply a lot of pressure. Think of putting frosting on your cake. Then I will carefully and slowly begin to wipe off the paste until there is an even layer over the template.

Now very gently hold your stencil and remove your tape. You don't want to jiggle the template or it will smear your design. Now begin to lift off your template. Your project may stick to the bottom so very slowly peel away your project. Now put it in your work tray and sprinkle with glitter. Do not press the glitter in place. Lift your project and tap off the excess glitter.
            [img:width=315&height=320]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1291458771_13_FT55375_3d_step2.jpg[/img]

Snagg1
              Send PM

Set your project aside to dry and harden. The paste is pretty thin so it shouldn't take more that 20 minutes. It helps to make your project first and then while it is drying you begin work on the rest of your page.

This is such a versatile project. You can mix in some color to your molding paste prior to using it, you can use Perfect Pearls or Pearl Ex, ink it, mist it….the list goes on. Use your imagination but most of all open up a jar and just play.
              [img:width=344&height=400]/wp-content/uploads/2014/1291458811_13_FT55375_3d_step3.jpg[/img]

craftysprinkles
              Swirly Scrapper
                Send PM

Lisa, WOW!!!! Such beautiful results!!!! This is an absolute MOOOST TRY!!!!!

Krissy
                Krissy
                Swirly Admin
                  Send PM

Awesome, thanks for the tut Lisa!!

"Some cars look like they're going fast when they're standing still. The Camaro looks like it's going to beat you unconscious, put you in a silly hat, invite a couple of other Camaros over to take photos of you, then e-mail them to all your friends and co-workers. Call me crazy, but I like that in a car."

cool! tfs!

Thanks for the tutorial, Lisa!

Wonderful tut Lisa .Went and bought some of the paste yesterday!!!!

craftysprinkles
                  Swirly Scrapper
                    Send PM

I know I have some paste and loads of stencils. You've given me new inspiration to break them out and play with them. TFS

so simple, so stunning – damn, now i need some molding paste!!

craftysprinkles
                    Swirly Scrapper
                      Send PM

Lisa, you are a genius! Wonderful tut!

very cool!

sweet!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.